Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#82123 - 03/17/04 11:38 AM Re: My letter to the people of Spain
almohada Offline

Loc: Madrid
Revealed my luddite tendencies...threw in cache for good measure!! I was thinking it would be easier than searching one post at a time!

#82124 - 03/17/04 12:43 PM Re: My letter to the people of Spain
Wally Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
Howdy Wolf -

It is unfortunate that you take affront to my letter. It was not posted to "get a reaction," it came directly from my own heart.

I did not say anything about any invasion, anywhere -- not Iraq, not anywhere. I won't say anything more about this.

Lastly, I do not hate anyone...not even Bush, and I thank you for taking the time to share with me your own perspective. Your message has meaning to me; we simply disagree. I respect that, and you.

#82125 - 03/17/04 01:26 PM Re: My letter to the people of Spain
almohada Offline

Loc: Madrid
Wally,
IF your post was directed at me, I did not take affront. Actually, I was responding to the ever widening discussion. In fact I did not even know what you had posted.

My worry was that if MM kept a political forum, that it would get heated to boiling almost instaneously. A mini-example, for you: What has come out of Z's mouth since winning the election has been insulting, incredibly ignorant and doubly naive and may do more damage to US-Spain relations than Bush since the insults are directed directly at US. Instead of entering his office gracefully and with respect to the enormity of the office, Z has decided to openly mock the efforts of the US and lives sacrified by all who tried to help the silent majority of Iraqis. MOst of these folks don't bomb buildings out of habit but rather want to live peacefully without the spectre of state-sponsored terrorism. End of mini-example.

Now imagine a virulent defense of this opinion (without the diplomacy) and then picture the shrill and sophomoric tit-for-tats that will soon fly around. The potential ugliness that would ensure would be 180º opposite of the respect shown toward posters in the fourth months that I have been on the Board.

Nothing to do with you and your particular posts. Take it from a wizened expat, political debate can open up wounds that were not present beforehand.

#82126 - 03/17/04 01:30 PM Re: My letter to the people of Spain
Wally Offline

Whoops!

My post was in reply to Wolf's comments. Ugh. smile

I've addressed my oversight now.

#82127 - 03/17/04 01:52 PM Re: My letter to the people of Spain
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Wally, I personally like your initial letter, as it does reflect my own feelings and those of some of my politically-active friends. I know not everyone would agree with it (or with me on these issues), but I am glad you said it. I often want to grab a microphone after Bush speaks and remind my friends in other countries that he doesn't always speak for me. (Neither did Bill Clinton, by the way, and neither will John Kerry--though I prefer their decision-making styles to Bush's!)

So I think it's great that you put your views out there to share with people in Spain. We live in divided countries these days, and it doesn't hurt to remind people of that. Just because Zapatero will have the biggest microphone won't mean that he speaks for all Spaniards, either. Thanks again, Wally!

#82128 - 03/17/04 08:35 PM Re: My letter to the people of Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Maybe we should all take the weekend off (starting now) and stay away from the forum to calm down, clear our heads, and start thinking about other things. This thread has my head spinning.

Wally posts his feelings intelligently, calmly, and WHAM BAM! ATTACK!!! He didn't deserve that. Some calm, insightful opposition would have been fine but someone calls him names?! Not fair.

Almohada, let's see how the political forum goes and if things begin to "melt down" I'll just delete the whole thing in one fell swoop. I can see spending most of my time babysitting in that category trying to keep people off of each other.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#82129 - 03/17/04 09:53 PM Re: My letter to the people of Spain
mariacristi Offline

Loc: melbourne
You poor thing Madridman! Of all the people here, I think you deserve the weekend break best. Why not freeze the board temporarily( you can always blame a technical glitch) on the weekend so no one can post-if that's possible- and head down to a spa resort or something like that and get yourself a nice & relaxing massage. wink

#82130 - 03/18/04 12:38 AM Re: My letter to the people of Spain
Jennita Offline

Loc: Denver
You can't post anything in these forums without getting attacked, having your words turned upside down and inside out. We all have opinions and to call another person an "idiot" is simply uncalled for.

MadridMan I don't envy your job at all. I admire your posts and the fact that you are trying your best to make this board the best it can be.

Thank you.

Wally.. thank you for your words.

#82131 - 03/18/04 01:05 AM Re: My letter to the people of Spain
Wally Offline

MadridMan - I'm fine, no bruises, and nothing that will leave a scar. ;-) Truly, if I had been more awake (instead of staying up late to study for finals) I would have just stopped after the second post. I ended up feeding the negative energy that was coming back at me. Either way, it is not possible for me to stay angry or hold a grudge, so things will be fine for me.

I made a spinning head for you, also. It seems you are in need of one now.

Jennita - The size of the tragedy still makes a heavy heart in my chest. If Spain needs them, then my prayers, thoughts, and hopes for the future are Spain's to have. Now I will wait and see what can be done for the families.

You are certainly welcome.

#82132 - 03/18/04 03:51 AM Re: My letter to the people of Spain
Raymo Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Dear All, (Hey Wally),
Guess I just jumped right in, I'm really, really pro Spain. Just disappointed about the "knee-jerk" reaction of the Spanish voters. I guess they don't realize that they have encouraged Al-Qaeda. The long term effect of what they have done will reverberate for years.

Signed,
Sad Raymo

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments