MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#81973 - 03/15/04 09:40 PM Re: Measuring Spain's Character
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Almohada,

I think their philosophy is; "If they aren't coming for me, it ain't my problem." Of course that means their favorite bird has to be the ostrich.

There's no polite way of being the policeman everyone wants when they need them, but the guy they don't want to invite over for dinner because his hands are dirty. But that's what some people seem to believe - despite the fact that others have died to protect that right for them.

Wolf

#81974 - 03/15/04 10:48 PM Re: Measuring Spain's Character
almohada Offline

Loc: Madrid
WOlf,

I wonder if this happens to be as a result of the feminsation of the culture? NO disrespect the ladies out there, but with UBL, comforting prose will not be an effective substitute for crushing military blows. Perhaps the best recent example I thnk of is the US bombing of Libya post Lockerbie. SInce then Lybia ceased to play an effective role in the world of terror. These guys, UBL, Aqaddafi, Saddam, are machos. They openly scoff at teams of lawters making sure certain words are in intl treaties. Hitler scoffed at Chamberlain (see Home of the Brave, there is common ground).

Women like to calm things down behind the scenes. And hell, if the world were all run by women, I would think it be grand. But...it is not...not even close. The West has feminized and lo and behold NO WHERE else. Yet what is so frustrating, is that it is OUR women trying to hold us back.

Where is Jean Kirkpatrick when we need her? Even Oprah would understand the need to get macho over global terrorism. Instead, we are gettign bogged down with the Diane Sawyer's of the world who literally take glee over the tough choices that need to be made and try to make us guilty over 9-11, 11-M, etc. Can you bloody imagine that? The nerve to transform the victims into the causes?

Where was she on Decmeber 7th 1941? Trying to make us guilty for the oil embargo on Japan in before dec 7th? Kills me, Wolf, it really does...

#81975 - 03/15/04 11:25 PM Re: Measuring Spain's Character
Kevin Offline

Loc: Augusta, Georgia
Almohada, you are smart to read Ayn Rand. What you are trying to say, I think, is:

First they came for the Jews. I was silent. I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists. I was silent. I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists. I was silent. I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me. There was no one left to speak for me.

Pastor Martin Niemöller
"Neither the United States of America nor the world community of nations can tolerate deliberate deception and offensive threats on the part of any nation, large or small. We no longer live in a world where only the actual firing of weapons represents a sufficient challenge to a nation's security"
-- President John F. Kennedy during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty."
-- President John F. Kennedy

Democrats, why the change?

#81976 - 03/15/04 11:29 PM Re: Measuring Spain's Character
almohada Offline

Kev,
will finally go to bed... taking those words with me...so powerful...

Cheers, A

#81977 - 03/16/04 01:08 AM Re: Measuring Spain's Character
Jennita Offline

Loc: Denver
Please don't EVER try to speak for me. You have NO IDEA who I am or what I feel.

#81978 - 03/16/04 07:25 AM Re: Measuring Spain's Character
almohada Offline

Huh??? Please elaborate...

#81979 - 03/16/04 08:41 AM Re: Measuring Spain's Character
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Jennita,

Actually you brought the subject up with your first post about US involvement in Iraq. Being against it is fine, as long as you use suitable defenses for your position. I believe that's what everyone took unbrage with, including myself.

Nobody has the right to tell you what you should believe in, and we agree with that, but what everyone does have a right to insist on is that people give informed statements that are fairly offered for people to accept or reject. It's not always what we say, but how we say it.

You're right. We don't know you. But I can pretty well make an assessment of you based on your comments. Whether or not I'm right doesn't matter, it's based solely on the comments you make. They set the tone for who we "assume you are," as a person. Your statements were nothing more than an opportunity to lash out at the US government, and in no way addressed the issues based on facts. They were just bitter comments.

I may not agree with your stance on Iraq, but I would defend to the death your right to say it because that's our belief in the US. But I ask you these questions.

Do you find the loss of life in Iraq over the last year to be an injustice, but the millions who died at the hands of Hussein to be justifiable in the past because it was a "legitimate government?"

Do you believe that the fundamentalist beliefs that harbor al Qaeda's terrorists has the right to subjugate women to the level of cattle like they do, without intervention?

Do you believe that the attacks of 9-11 and 3-11 were justifiable because those of us who fight them are being taught a lesson?

Since I would defend unto death your right to an opinion, and be free to state it, would you do the same for me, or a woman whose life has been forced behind painted over windows and a burqa, who should have a right to self-determination?

Please. Your thoughts.

Wolf

#81980 - 03/16/04 09:53 AM Re: Measuring Spain's Character
deibid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid
Congratulations MM!
I hope most Americans are like you.
GRACIAS, MADRIDMAN, TU ERES ESPAÑOL!

#81981 - 03/16/04 10:11 AM Re: Measuring Spain's Character
deibid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid
No, our country will never be like the USA.
I like it that way. So do most of this site's regular posters. Please, STOP BASHING!

#81982 - 03/16/04 10:22 AM Re: Measuring Spain's Character
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I like it that way too, deibid. laugh ¡Viva las diferencias!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1658 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments