MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#81993 - 03/16/04 11:25 AM Re: Measuring Spain's Character
almohada Offline

Loc: Madrid
Deibid,

>>>We don't have any reasons to be USA's allies.
Not that it's a bad thing, anyway.<<<

Care to elaborate on such a careless and offensive statement??

#81994 - 03/16/04 11:27 AM Re: Measuring Spain's Character
The_Keeper Offline

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
Firstly please read the whole of this posting. I am not in any way defending the hideous regime under Saddam Hussein, I am pointing out simople historical fact.
Regarding the women's rights part of my posting, I was replying to a previous poster who had used it as an example of why the US wanted to go into Iraq. This was one area where, Hussein had a much better record than the rest of the region, he encouraged women to take positions of importance and prior to the first Gulf war instituted a policy of equivalence ensuring that women received education and training. I am not defending Hussein, but was simply trying to point out that here the previous poster had mistaken Iraq for Afghanistan who had an awful record of the mistreatment of women. The burkha is not a symbol of the mistreatment of women.

Like Books? Check out www.bookcrossing.com

#81995 - 03/16/04 11:28 AM Re: Measuring Spain's Character
deibid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid
I know, Kevin.
And I'm sure that the majority of the voters didn't intend that "they leave us alone"
You assume that we voted moved by fear.
I assure you that we voted in full RAGE against the gov. that lied us and tried to take profit from DEATH.
We don't need to attack Iraq to defend ourselves from the terrorists. I think that's an error, as most Spaniards do.
You think otherwise... well, I do respect you.

#81996 - 03/16/04 11:30 AM Re: Measuring Spain's Character
deibid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid
How did that sentence offend you?
I don't get it. May be it's a language thing?

#81997 - 03/16/04 11:32 AM Re: Measuring Spain's Character
Kevin Offline

Loc: Augusta, Georgia
I'm glad I don't stereotype Spaniards with that sentiment, Al. I pray no Americans on the board do either. I am capable, as you guys have seen about my French statements. That comes from how they acted when they tried to bribe Camaroon, when secret ties were found between Chirac and Hussein, and their attempts to veto us in the UN. THAT I could get over and realize that ALL French people weren't like that. What I COULDN'T get over....and it's something I am dealing with, is when French people desecrated the graves of English and American soldiers at the WWI and WWII gravesites. I don't know how Spaniards felt about that but it still boils my blood.

With that said, I hope and pray Spaniards aren't stereotyped into one group as I have seen on these boards lately. "I" think it was a grave mistake, but I wouldn't go as far as calling anyone cowards. Again, the US pulled out of Somalia and basically gave UBL a mental victory. My French problem, well, that's one I am trying to work out within my Heart with God's help but it basically parallels how I feel about Jane Fonda.
"Neither the United States of America nor the world community of nations can tolerate deliberate deception and offensive threats on the part of any nation, large or small. We no longer live in a world where only the actual firing of weapons represents a sufficient challenge to a nation's security"
-- President John F. Kennedy during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty."
-- President John F. Kennedy

Democrats, why the change?

#81998 - 03/16/04 11:35 AM Re: Measuring Spain's Character
Kevin Offline

The_Keeper you ARE trying to defend Saddam. Let me draw a parallel,

"Well, Hitler wasn't so bad, he built schools, railroads, highways, new "prisons", and boosted their economy after it was ravaged after WWI".

NOTE: I am not trying AT ALL to defend Hitler. I only wish he could have been found alive so he could be killed. Cowardly bastard.
"Neither the United States of America nor the world community of nations can tolerate deliberate deception and offensive threats on the part of any nation, large or small. We no longer live in a world where only the actual firing of weapons represents a sufficient challenge to a nation's security"

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty."

#81999 - 03/16/04 11:46 AM Re: Measuring Spain's Character
The_Keeper Offline

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
Kevin, Please do not tell me what I am doing. After 36 years I kinda think I have got the idea. I say again, the original poster was confusing Afgahnistan with Iraq. Sorry for being accurate. I guess i should let the truth stand in the way of a good story huh!

M.

Like Books? Check out www.bookcrossing.com

#82000 - 03/16/04 11:55 AM Re: Measuring Spain's Character
Kevin Offline

Well, if you had read anything I have posted in the past few days about the Middle East, I have also stated I do not believe Saudi Arabia is our ally as they play both sides. As far as other human right's atrocities, well, I am all for freeing the oppressed all over the world. Don't know what kind of movies you get there but if you can find it, rent "Tears of the Sun". Two nurses I know here in Augusta are from Nigeria and escaped due to the religious cleansing by the radical Muslims in that country (They are Christians). I think it is EVERY civilized nation's responsibility to rout out human right's atrocities all over the world. That is the only way to peace. ...and that is a response from one of God's children, not a Caucasian, an American, a Georgian, or anything else.

#82001 - 03/16/04 12:13 PM Re: Measuring Spain's Character
almohada Offline

Loc: Madrid
Kevin and Wolf,
Tonight, I raise a glass of vino tinto in your honor. Just so impressed by the consistently mature and principled statements you guys have posted.

Saludos, A

#82002 - 03/16/04 12:17 PM Re: Measuring Spain's Character
Kevin Offline

...and I raise my Guinness to you. You know, being Scottish-Irish. laugh Salute.

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments