Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#81915 - 03/25/04 06:35 AM Re: DEMOCRACY wins in Spain
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
Please allow me to oversimplify something, just entertain me...

Basically, Bush, *AND OTHERS* have declared war on terrorism. They've decided that instead of allowing terrorists to congregate and fester anywhere, that it's better to chase them, keep them on the run, with a *potential* end result being the prevention of any singular terrorist network from murdering in five countries in one day. 'The Coalition' does not pretend to think that they will RID THE WORLD of terrorism. What is wrong with that?

Also, please do not go the route of Christian bashing. It's disrespectful to a lot of people that are Christian that are not 'militant.' Perhaps Bush is too 'Christian' for you, but at least he's consistent about his faith, and since 'DEMOCRACY WON!' in the last election, Bush *was voted* in.

Booklday, your point about terrorism is great. Many ideals are misused and lead to 'terrorism' of some form. Be it crusades, jihad, etc... But I agree with Fupanier and would add that Christians in no way resemble terrorists, even the wackos.

So, is it better to chase the terrorists down, or should they be allowed to fester? Where would we rather chase them, in our own countries, or in the countries of their origin?

I hate to say it, but I'd rather the terrorists be stuck bombing their own countries because they're at half-capacity due to being chased down than see them in Madrid or Chicago bombing nursery schoos! And in MY OPINION, Deibid, neither the UN nor the PSOE desire to go face to face with terrorism.

#81916 - 03/25/04 06:54 AM Re: DEMOCRACY wins in Spain
deibid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid
No , please! they are muslims, they can not be like us, christians are not terrorists.
Ahem..
IRA anyone?
ETA anyone?
ETA was born from the basque catholic church.
The IRA fought a religion war against the english protestants.

And this is not my opinion. This is FACT.

#81917 - 03/25/04 07:35 AM Re: DEMOCRACY wins in Spain
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
hmmmm... I thought we were discussing Christians in the USA, but you have a good point Deibid.

So the IRA and the ETA are acting solely upon religeous onus and not out of political oppression?

#81918 - 03/25/04 09:39 AM Re: DEMOCRACY wins in Spain
Fupanier Offline

Loc: Oregon
deibid -

I had no idea that religion was their motivation! - They must have a poor PR guy, I missed their religious rhetoric.

Fup wink

#81919 - 03/25/04 09:52 AM Re: DEMOCRACY wins in Spain
Spaniard Offline

Loc: Valencia
No,Daibid said "ETA was born from...", but actually ETA doesn't has any kind of religious speech. In fact, ETA consider itself as a marxist organization.

#81920 - 03/25/04 10:09 AM Re: DEMOCRACY wins in Spain
deibid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid
Yes, I know, I was only emphasizing that fact, just to make regal think a bit about 'our' terrorists, that he seemed have forgotten.

But we are getting into some risky issues here...
You seem to think that 'our' terrorists are somewhat better than Al Q.
So tell me regal, do you think IRA's terrorism is justified because of that 'political oppresion' you say?

On top of that... do you REALLY think that ETA's terrorism is justified by some 'oppresion'?

Because that would REALLY piss me off.

#81921 - 03/25/04 10:42 AM Re: DEMOCRACY wins in Spain
Fupanier Offline

Loc: Oregon
I hadn't noticed anyone saying there was any terrorist organization that was "justified". If anyone is murdered, it doesn't matter who did it. Bush has even been in trouble for bundeling all terrorists in the same basket. Critics have said that's too "shallow" - but he's right.

But lets not pretend that the threat posed (or ever was posed) by Islamic terrorists is of the same scale. There's no long-term middle ground, they want you dead or converted - period.

As far as as being "born from" the Catholic Church - Allot of things have been "born" from christian churches - including the Solidarity movement & the civil rights movement here in the states. I'm proud of the fact that of the billion modern christians, the number of those with a theology based on destroying other human beings has dropped to spit.The huge majority has moved beyond that. And the couple perverted anomolies doesn't indicate anything inherent in the theology. I'm hoping that Islam goes through a similar reformation. We will not be successful in defeating Islamic terrorism without Islams help. We should help them help themselves where we can, espeially with a sense of control over their own lives - Hopefully in Iraq that's what will happen (I'm assuming that your dislike of Bush doesn't make you hope for a failure of a new demodratic Iraq?)

Fup

#81922 - 03/25/04 11:15 AM Re: DEMOCRACY wins in Spain
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Fup's point is well put. We will not defeat Islamic terrorism without the help of Islam itself. If we don't recognize this fact, and try to find a peace with Islam, where will it end?

#81923 - 03/25/04 11:32 AM Re: DEMOCRACY wins in Spain
Kevin Offline

Loc: Augusta, Georgia
The IRA isn't an organization built on religion. They are an organization built on the premise of getting England out of the upper 6 counties of their country, County Derry being one of them.....of course the English named it Londonderry.
"Neither the United States of America nor the world community of nations can tolerate deliberate deception and offensive threats on the part of any nation, large or small. We no longer live in a world where only the actual firing of weapons represents a sufficient challenge to a nation's security"
-- President John F. Kennedy during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty."
-- President John F. Kennedy

Democrats, why the change?

#81924 - 03/25/04 12:45 PM Re: DEMOCRACY wins in Spain
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Kevin,

Actually the IRA is Catholics. The whole thing has been a fight between Catholics and Protestants. The differences may be political, but they are also rooted in religion.

Wolf

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2600 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments