Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#81702 - 04/04/07 05:15 PM Book recommends: South America
notyor Offline

Loc: Oldham
Can anyone recommend any essential reading prior to/during my South American trip next year??

Travel writing, political/hitorical and, especially, thrillers/mystery set in Peru, Argentina (esp. Buenos Aires), Brazil etc... are what I'm looking for. laugh thumbsup

#81703 - 04/04/07 10:21 PM Re: Book recommends: South America
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

I'm not as familiar with South American literature as I am with literature from other Spanish-speaking regions, but two general suggestions might be Isabel Allende (Chile) and Gabriel García Márquez (Colombia). Allende is widely popular in English and Spanish and has some rather good books. Márquez is a Nobel Prize winner, of course, and while his literature might not be as accessible as Allende's, it's certainly interesting and worthwhile. You can find translations of Márquez in English, too.

One film I would HIGHLY recommend is "The Motorcycle Diaries" starring Gael García Bernal as a young Che Guevara. It's based on the book Che wrote about his travels with his best friend on a motorcycle around South America. The duo start in their homeland of Argentina (Buenos Aires!) and go through Chile, Peru, Colombia, and Ecuador for six months in 1952. The movie has absolutely beautiful shots of these countries, and I'm sure you would really enjoy seeing these places. Plus, it has a wonderful soundtrack composed by Gustavo Santaolalla as well as the Oscar-winning song "Al Otro Lado del Río" by Jorge Drexler. Incidentally, you can also read the book containing Che's writings in Spanish or in English if you can find it at your local bookstore.

Another movie you may want to consider is "Tango" directed by Carlos Saura and starring Mia Maestro. Personally I didn't care for it very much, but I don't think I was watching it very carefully. I do remember that it had some nice shots of Buenos Aires, though.

Some of the other MM'ers who have traveled to South America may be able to suggest some other books and films for you.

#81704 - 04/05/07 07:02 PM Re: Book recommends: South America
jabch Offline

Here's some reading for your trip:

Clasics XX century:
Book
Author
Nationality

La ciudad y los perros
Mario Vargas Llosa
Perú

Rayuela
Julio Cortázar
Argentina

Cien años de soledad
Gabriel García Márquez
Colombia

Dona Flor e seus dois maridos
Jorge Amado
Brazil

Morirás lejos
José Emilio Pacheco
Mexico

Hasta no verte Jesús mío
Elena Poniatowska
México

El obsceno pajaro de la noche
Jose Donoso
Chile

Respiración artificial
Ricardo Piglia
Argentina

La biografía difusa de Sombra Castañeda
Marcio Veloz Maggiolo
República Dominicana

La guerra del fin del mundo
Mario Vargas Llosa

En breve cárcel
Sylvia Molloy
Argentina

Las genealogías
Margo Glantz
México

La casa de los espíritus
Isabel Allende
Chile

Los perros del paraíso
Abel Posse
Argentina

Cola de lagartija
Luisa Valenzuela
Argentina

Lumpérica
Diamela Eltit
Chile

A república dos sonhos
Nélida Piñón
Brasil

La nave de los locos
Cristina Peri Rossi
Uruguay

Pedro Páramo
Juan Rulfo
Mexico

La región mas transparente
Carlos Fuentes
Mexico

El laberinto de la soledad
Octavio Paz
Mexico

For Latinamerican contemporary writers, I mostly know Mexicans (crack movement):

Ignacio Padilla, Jorge Volpi,Eloy Urroz, Pedro Angel Palou, Ricardo Chávez-Castañeda, Alejandro Estivill, Vicente Herrasti.

You can do an internet search with any name you like, and will show you all of their books. Most of their books have been translated to the English language.

Source: Wikipedia

#81705 - 04/06/07 06:50 PM Re: Book recommends: South America
notyor Offline

Loc: Oldham
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, Motorcycle Diaries is a great film.

[logs onto Amazon]

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
la calma
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1570 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments