Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#81532 - 01/23/06 02:24 AM Help with travel in France
GoMadrid Offline

Loc: California
My wife and I are headed to France this Summer to tour the Burgandy region among other places.

We will probably take the TGV from Paris to Lyon and rent a car there. If I have to go to the Lyon Airport to pick up the car, what is the best way to get there?

Or if someone has taken the train to Lyon, do you know if you can pick up a rental car at the train station like you can in Spain. We will be flying home from Lyon, so are there any problems picking up the car one place and dropping it off another?

Any tips on what to see in Burgandy or Provence would be appreciated.

Don't worry we have haven't abondoned Spain. My wife is going there for a week before we meet in France.

Thanks..

#81533 - 01/23/06 04:10 PM Re: Help with travel in France
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
Last year I picked up a car at the train station in Perpignan and returned it at a train station in Paris. I wouldn't worry about picking the car up at the airport unless there is a significant difference in cost. Go to a car rental website and get quotes for both ways. If you are going to tour Burgundy by car, why not just pick it up in Paris and skip the train? For me, I would only take the train if I was jet lagging and heading to Lyon on the same day I arrived from the US. (Just my preference).

#81534 - 02/07/06 12:52 PM Re: Help with travel in France
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
I would recommend public transport rather than renting as car. When using public transportation, I encountered local people who are friendlier than those who consistently work with tourist. My first trip to France we did not rent a car, we used the train, taxi cabs, and walked. If you are traveling to Burgundy, you may consider renting a bicycle.

We traveled to Provence last year; we hiked from Bed & Breakfast from along the Randonne in the countryside. We visited small villages and towns with very little tourist significance. We had several very pleasant encounters with people in the French countryside; we wondered why many Americans think the French are unfriendly when we were having drastically the opposite experience.

Bon Voyage

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments