Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#81527 - 01/13/06 04:01 PM Switzerland
pim_on_tour Offline

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
Hi there!

We just learned today that in three weeks time we're moving to Basel! (Major change of plans since as of yesterday we were going to move to Slough, England)

And I was wondering if anyone is available for teaching us some intensive yodelling classes, so we can get along.... :p

Just kidding! wink But seriously, any advice/suggestion/comment will be very appreciated! Since it's been sort of a surprise for us and still we don't know much about the area (heck, up until today I thought in English it was spelled Basil, like the herb! :o ) and don't really even know if we will in fact end up living in Switzerland or in France or Germany and commute to work....any ideas?

Thanks wave

#81528 - 01/13/06 06:48 PM Re: Switzerland
CascadaDuSel Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL (sometimes Madrid - ...
I lived in Switzerland for 2 years and loved it. Very clean, and well run country. I found everthing I needed readily available and the administrative functions very efficient. I am sure you will love it. Apart from being very expensive it was a wonderful place to be. I also remember in order to get my work permit and residency papers I had to take and AIDS test and get a full physical each year.

#81529 - 01/14/06 10:53 AM Re: Switzerland
Gretchen6 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
I have to agree with everything CascandaDuSel has stated. Switzerland is truly beautiful and CLEAN...but also expensive. I have friends who spent several years in Switzerland and are now depressed to be back in Spain. They would have loved to stay there but it was a temporary teaching arrangement through the government. As for Basel, it is very close to my most favorite region of France....Alsace. A short drive or train ride and you are in Colmar, France and wonderful Alsacien villages, vineyards, Les Voges mountains, and castles on every hilltop. Please try Choucroute, Tarte Flambee and Amer Biere Citron. You will LOVE it all. Do you feel my envy? Madrid will always be my favorite place because of memories but you are going to the place I think is the most beautiful. Keep us posted smile

#81530 - 01/14/06 10:55 AM Re: Switzerland
nevado Offline

How exciting for you; Basel is a great town! There's a lot to do within one hour. I, personally, would live in Switzerland but as you mentioned, you could live in any of the three countries. If you do, cross the border on a normal road and not the autobahn; the daily buildup of cars at rush hour could increase your commute by an hour. The trucks pile up and with the mix of cars, it can be a daily nightmare. Try it a few times before you commit to a place outside of Switzerland.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2603 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments