MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#81516 - 01/06/06 08:09 AM weekend in ROME
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Next weekend I will be going to Rome! It has been many years since I was there, so I am hoping you all might have some suggestions of restaurants, cafes and MUST DO'S...We will only be there 3 nights, so our time is limited. Any ideas? Grazie!! smile

#81517 - 01/06/06 09:14 AM Re: weekend in ROME
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

I have been to Rome twice and my last visit over three to fours year ago. Things might have change so it hard for me to recommended something that might not be true. Also you been there and have probably visited all the popular attractions.

If you are looking for the latest/greatest information about Rome, I strongly recommend you go over to the Slow Traveler website . Their messages boards have a very popular Italy discussions. I found Madridman's website from the Slow Traveler message board. You will find information from people that have just returned from Rome or will get advice from people that live there.

Rome for me is a unique city such that I can always revisit exactly what I did my last visit. Revisiting Saint Peter’s Church and it square, the Capitoline Museum, the Pantheon, the Colosseum, Sistine Chapel, Vatican Museums, Galleria Borghese, climb to the top to Saint Peter’s Basilica, walk the streets of Rome and it was still be breathtaking fun for me. cloud9

My last visit I did get a chance to visit the Galleria Borghese. I was knocked over by the beautiful artwork in this small gallery. You need to have reservations to go. If you have already booked your hotel, they should be able to make your reservations. I highly recommended it if you have not been there. laugh

Lastly and I proud to say, I been to Rome twice and know I will be going again sometime in my lifetime. I never once have thrown a coin over my shoulder at Trevi Fountain and never will! hearts

Have fun in Rome!

Bill

#81518 - 01/06/06 10:16 AM Re: weekend in ROME
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
How lucky you are, Esperanza! (And welcome home, by the way!)

I was in Roma about a year and a half ago, and I agree with everything Bill says. St. Peter's, the Vatican, the Forum, are musts, and always worth revisiting. And I enthusiastically second Bill's recommendation to visit the Galleria Borghese. The statues of Paolina Borghese and Appollo & Daphne are simply exquisite. They, with Michelangelo's unfinished statues in Florence, made a huge impression on me, and I'm so glad I saw them.

I'm terrible at remembering restaurant names. If you go into the backstreets behind the Piazza Navonna you'll find wonderful restaurants with "mucho ambiente" that spill out into the streets. Then again, perhaps it's different in winter.

I love Italian pizza and would eat it any time! It takes me months to gather the courage to eat American pizza again...

On my first trip to Rome I went with a group of colleagues to Da Alfredo Imperatore
(Piazza Augusto Imperatore, 30) where they serve the original fettucine alfredo. As the youngest person in the group I got the main platter. It was fun. Are you going with your family?

Have fun!

#81519 - 01/06/06 01:58 PM Re: weekend in ROME
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
Make sure you visit the Trastevere section, across the river. Ask in a local shop where they like to go to eat, and you'll find the best food.

#81520 - 01/11/06 07:03 AM Re: weekend in ROME
deibid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid
WOW! Roma has too many things to visit...3 nights are soooo few!
I see that you know the city so...that is an advantage, just enjoy the atmosphere and daily life.
I MUST return to Roma, the eternal city. When I was there I was overwhelmed by the vast load of History, culture and greatness that every corner of the city transpires. I didn't have enough time and I missed so many great things...I MUST enter the Pantheon once in my life at least, or it won't ever be complete.

#81521 - 01/11/06 11:01 AM Re: weekend in ROME
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
There's a museum card (ARCHEOLOGIA CARD) , available at any of the below, which then gets you into all of the below:
The Palazzo Massimo
The Palazzo Altemps
The Crypta Balbi
The Baths of Diocletian
The Colosseum
The Palatine
The Baths of Caracalla
The Villa dei Quintili
The Mausoleum of Cecilia Metella
Of course that's a lot for three days - I didn't even get to see all that in a week. Dont miss the Capitool museum easily combined witha day at the Forum and the Colosseum. And the Vatican museum is also extraordinary. These places get crowded but then go off the beaten track and you'll have a place like the wonderful Museo Altemps (sculpture) all to yourself. As pointed out above, the Borghese is great too. But don't let your break in Rome turn into a mad quest to see everything. You'd do yourtself and Rome a disservice. Two or three attractions a day is probably the limit. What they are, depends on you. Do you want to see the classical world, or baroque churches? The rest of the time you should just wander around taking in city life, having beer and ice cream and dodging mopeds.

#81522 - 01/11/06 02:40 PM Re: weekend in ROME
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Quote:
I MUST return to Roma, the eternal city. When I was there I was overwhelmed by the vast load of History, culture and greatness that every corner of the city transpires. I didn't have enough time and I missed so many great things...I MUST enter the Pantheon once in my life at least, or it won't ever be complete.
Thank you deibid

Many times I need others to remind me how lucky I have been to have taken two trips that were both a week long. I have visited the Pantheon like six times.

I even visited the Spainish Steps a few times and once it was very early in the morning like around seven, when only three people were sitting there. thumbsup

Bill

#81523 - 01/13/06 04:39 AM Re: weekend in ROME
edel Offline

Loc: Almeria/Dublin
barry, where can i buy thhis card? do i need to get it before or can i buy it when i get there. i am going to rome next weekend to celebrate the end of my exams!

Edel

#81524 - 01/13/06 04:40 AM Re: weekend in ROME
edel Offline

Loc: Almeria/Dublin
sorry i now see that you pick it up at the sites SORRY! how much is it??

#81525 - 01/13/06 09:35 AM Re: weekend in ROME
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
Yes you can get it at the ticket desk at any one of the places - but with only three days I don't think it's worth it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1782 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments