Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#81495 - 02/07/06 02:35 PM Re: México
Pia Offline

Loc: Finland
Wow, Cozumel sounds amazing but I think we have to go to Isla Mujeres because we're flying back from Cancún and need an excuse to go there smile And I'm going with friends so no necesito el romanticismo smile I still really love it and I'm not even scared of walking outside alone after dark: it's funny, that when my friend who is visiting me for 2 months says she lives in New York, everybody says "oh, isn't it really dangerous?"

#81496 - 02/20/06 11:32 AM Re: México
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
Mmmm... my partner and I happen to be planning a trip to Mexico in September this year and I see that there are some forumers experts in this matter, so I am going to share our plans with you and ask some questions.

We want to do a relaxed trip on our own, trying to enjoy the country and its people, so this is not an "if it's Tuesday, then it must be Yucatan". Our time frame is about three weeks and we planned this way:

Day 1: Night flight MAD-MEX. Brief visit of the Zocalo area.
Days 2-3: DF (including Anthropological Museum)
Day 4: Flight MEX-MID.
Days 5-8: Excursions in Merida area, including Celestun, Uxmal, cenotes, Chichen Itza.
Day 9: Flight MID-MEX. Bus DF-Cuernavaca.
Day 10: Relax and visit Cuernavaca.
Day 11: Cuernavaca. Early in the evening, bus to DF. Then, overnight bus DF-Oaxaca ( Linea Uno , seems to be very comfortable for an overnight trip)
Days 12-16: Oaxaca area, including Monte Alban, Tlacolula valley, Zaachila, Cuilapam, Hierve el agua...
Day 17: Morning bus Oaxaca-DF.
Days 18-20: More visits in DF (Tenochtitlan, Frida Kahlo's Museum at Coyoacan,...)
Day 21: Fly back to MAD.

That makes 7 nights in DF, 5 nights in Merida, 5 nights in Oaxaca, 2 nights in Cuernavaca, 1 night on a bus and another 2 on a plane.

This is my second trip to Mexico, first for my companion. My previous trip was 16 years ago, and I stayed only 3 days in the DF (that's why I want to be longer this time), then 4 days in Chiapas (that's why I skip it now and go to Oaxaca instead), and 4 days in Cancun (that's the reason to choose Merida rather than Cancun or Playa del Carmen, apart of the fact that my partner is from Merida, Spain wink )

The main questions we have now are:
- we intend to rent a car in Oaxaca to do the excursions. Is it safe to rent and drive a car there? In 1990 I was told that driving in Mexico was very dangerous, not only due to traffic, but to the horror stories about the police and the "mordidas". The fact is that we rented a beetle for two days in Cancun, and everything was fine. So I would like to know how's the situation today and especially in Oaxaca area.
- surfing the Web, we have found a Travel Agency in Merida, Ecoturismo Yucatan , that does day trips to the places we want to visit. Would you recommend their services (or any other else you know), or we'd rather rent a car there, too, and do the excursions on our own?
- In the DF, we plan to use the metro extensively, even with our luggage (two mid-size trolleys, and two light backpacks) when going to/from airport or bus station. Is it safe? Is it reliable?

Any other comment about the plan will be warmly welcome. Thanks in advance and I "threaten" with more questions during the six months left before our journey starts. laugh

#81497 - 02/20/06 01:36 PM Re: México
jabch Offline

Hola Torrales: congrats on your second trip to Mexico. As you may know I am from Mexico. However, I am not from Mexico City or Oaxaca. So I don't have indepth information about those two places. Anyway, here you have my comments:

1. UNO: Excellent bus line.

2. Driving conditions in Oaxaca: In general the situation is better, much better than 10 years ago. In 2005, there were several robberies to local city buses, but mostly in the outskirts of Oaxaca City and aimed to local bus drivers. So the danger is there. Just think that thousands of tourists come to this area of the country every year and nearly everyone goes back home safe.

3. The Metro in Mexico City: Reliable? Yes. Safe? Not totally, but probably safer than many taxis. I've used the metro several times without any problem. However, (even when I looked a bit lost, nervous and not from Mexico City) I wasn't traveling with many bags. So it is hard to tell. It would be probably good to leave most of your stuff at the hotel and not carry it around with you. But I have seen many foreing-looking people do this in Mexico City. If you do that, needless to say, just stay within the tourist's areas, there are more public and private security people there. If you need a taxi they are not that expensive. Call from your hotel to get one (radiotaxi or teletaxi on the yellow pages). The taxis parked at the entrance of your hotel are safe but the most expensive. I've used the ones parked at "sitios de taxi" in Polanco and Chapultec area with no problem.

Finally some suggestions for your time in Mexico City: Turibus , and Secretaria de Turismo . The first webpage is for a bus that takes you around the chapultepec and downtown area. The second webpage shows different tourist routes you may follow in Mexico City, they also show where to eat when in those areas. By the way, the "X" in Xochimilco is pronounced like "S", so you say "Sochimilco", not shochimilco or anything like that smile .I hope it helps.

#81498 - 02/20/06 05:20 PM Re: México
fulano Offline

Loc: califas
Hi Torrales, sounds like you'll have a great time.And don't be so concerned about crime in DF, it's a beautiful and historic city and like any city if you avoid the "pendejada's" that would make you a victim you'll do fine. Mexicano's are very receptive and respond to respect and humor. If you have a smile on your face, show respect and can give and take the "curada's" you'll have the time of your life.
The mordida is in fact a way of life in Mexico but can also be used as a tool to grease the wheels if used wisely. If a cop stops you and starts bothering you, pay him off in a respectful way, de voladas, but only give him a small amount.( It's all negociable) If he complains then give him just a taste more, if he still complains and starts threatening then tell him to take you to the police station immediately. He won't want to leave his hustle and usually will settle for little. Play it by ear but always be nice and respectfull.
Oaxaca is an incredible place and full of history, "the birthplace of "Benito Juarez". Try the "Mole Poblano" as they have a different "Mole" for every day of the year and as far as I'm concerned "it's all good"!
As far as car rentals, usually very expensive in Mexico! when you get gas (petrolio) make sure the attendent clicks the meter to zero before gassing you up, ( many times they will scam you if you don't pay attention to the meter).
You might want to check with a cab driver as I have found they are way cheaper for a day than renting a car in Mexico.
They will give you a price for round trip, all day, lunch?, and then you don't have to worry about directions, mordida, ratero's, etc; and they will many times be a great "guide" for you.
One more thing!
When in DF get a few cervesa's and some food in you then get to the "Plaza de Garibaldi" around 10pm (mas o menos) and you'll see dozens, if not more, "Mariachi's" who are for rent and who sing and brag about how great they are compared to the others, all in fun, but a great show to see!
Te Vaya Bien, con gusto!

#81499 - 02/21/06 07:00 AM Re: México
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
Many thanks to both of you, jabch and fulano.

Of course, we'll take the usual safety measurements, the same ones we take in Madrid, Barcelona, or New York City, those dictated by common sense (don't show valuables as cameras in the metro, keep always an eye on the backpack, don't walk on parks at night, etc...).

Interesting you mention Plaza Garibaldi, fulano, because it is one of my musts. I have heard advices that tourists should avoid to go there due to crime, but I went there 16 years ago, and enjoyed very much the feel of the place. The only thing I was told then, was to avoid men who approach foreigners to invite them to "un trago". One trago takes to another, the second to the third, and once you wake up, you've been released of a weight... in your wallet. I was told to accept the first trago, and invite to a second one and leave the story there, saying politely that "there's enough for me/us". Actually, we were approached by a guy, we did so, and it went perfectly fine. Probably the guy acted in good will and we enjoyed the chat. But, just in case, better not to do "eternal friendhips" then and there. smile

Xochimilco is another must for me. I have heard that the place is very popular on Sundays. What would you recommend in this case: going any other day, because it won't be too crowded, or going precisely on a Sunday due to the ambience?

About the Mexicans, I have to say that it's difficult to find friendlier people anywhere, at least in my experience. I only have good memories of all people I met in my previous trip. Every time we talked to someone and they noticed we were Spaniards, they were totally helpful, warm, and talkative. So, when I ask about safety, please don't think that I am being suspicious of the people in general, I just try to be sure that, with a little bit of common sense, everything will be alright.

Finally, anyone knows a Mexico forum, kind of this one? I don't want to "cheat" MadridMan with MexicoMan, but it would be nice to know if it exists... laugh

#81500 - 02/21/06 11:54 AM Re: México
jabch Offline

Torrales, I don't know exactly the best day to go to Xochimilco. It's been a while (years) since my last visit there. But here you have their webpage. http://www.xochimilco.df.gob.mx/. I think they've done a lot of good changes there. During the 70's and 80's Xochimilco became really popular for parties and was seriously polluted (by drunk people partyng and eating there). I think now they are doing a better job in keeping it clean.

I have also looked for websites on Mexico and mostly I've found msn-groups, like MexicoLiving (where I am a member), or other groups focused on areas like Puerto Vallarta or San Miguel de Allende where a lot of Americans come to retire. But I haven't found a website comparable to what MadridMan has done for Spain.

About Mexican people, I think you are totally right, we are very friendly. Sometimes too friendly. When I was a teenager or even in college I was always intersted in meeting people from other countries. I hope they didn't find my interst weird or suspiscious!! Anyways, I think people in Mexico are always surprised and happy to meet someone from Spain.

#81501 - 02/23/06 04:36 PM Re: México
Tia Offline

Hola a todos, I plan to visit Mexico (DF, Oaxaca, San Cristobal and the Yucatan Peninsula at least, and maybe some small villages in Puebla) in June-July and would like to know how the weather is during that period. Is it unwise to travel to the eastern parts of the country because of the hurricane season? When does it usually start?

How about the vegetarian diet? As far as I´ve heard there won´t be any problems with finding something to eat. Am I right?

Thanx in advance! Salu2, Tía

#81502 - 02/28/06 03:49 PM Re: México
jabch Offline

Tia, hurrican season is from June to November.

As to the vegetarian diet, you probably won't find many places specializing in this sort of food, but sure most restaurants can adapt to your needs.

#81503 - 02/28/06 03:56 PM Re: México
Tia Offline

Quote:
hurrican season is from June to November
Thanks for your answer, jabch! Does that affect mostly the Yucatán Península or the entire country? Should I be worried?

#81504 - 03/01/06 12:01 PM Re: México
jabch Offline

It affects mostly the southern part of the country. However, some hurricanes, like Gilberto, have caused great damage to some northern cities such as Monterrey in the state of Nuevo Leon. Any city close to the Gulf of Mexico is usually affected by the hurricanes.

I think this is a factor to consider when planning your vacations, but it shouldn't be your main concern at this point. During that season you are more likely to have beautiful, sunny and warm days than hurricanes. Just keep an eye on the forecast a week before your vacation...And better think about how much sun-block cream you should bring!!!! smile

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1942 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments