Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#81480 - 09/26/05 12:07 PM Metal detectors and artificial joints, etc.
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Due to a congenital problem I’ve joined the ranks of travelers with artificial joints and other metal pieces within the body, and will now always set off metal detectors. These questions are for those travelers who already deal with the issue. Do you travel with some type of documentation about your prosthesis or metal piece? Is there a form? Does traveling with a photo of an x-ray help? Have you discovered any way to make going through metal detectors at airports and other security-conscious places any easier? I’m assuming that pat-downs will be something I’ll have to get used to. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

#81481 - 09/26/05 10:31 PM Re: Metal detectors and artificial joints, etc.
Pulaski Offline

Loc: New Bedford, PA
As the owner of two artificial hips I can advise you to just grin and bear it when going through a check point. I carry X-ray pictures from the Cleveland Clinic but am never asked or permitted to present them to the checkers. I guess anyone could use such X-rays to get through. Anyway, they (always female personnel) "wand" me, and I give them a big smile and am soon on my way. Many, many travellers have artificial joints of all kinds and security people seem to expect them.

Best of luck to you.

#81482 - 09/27/05 12:55 AM Re: Metal detectors and artificial joints, etc.
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Yup. A family member of mine has two titanium knee replacements. They "wand" him everytime after setting off the metal detector. He travels quite a bit but never in all that time have they ever asked to see the surgery scars.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1720 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments