Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#81465 - 08/19/05 02:11 AM Holidays in Provence....recommendations?
pim_on_tour Offline

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
Hellooo! smile

Wow, this feels weird, for once I'm the one looking for advice in this forum.... cool

I was wondering if any of you had any recommendations regarding places to go in the French Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur area.

In 12 days time, we'll have 12 days to spend there (well, 10 actually, since day #1 and #12 will be spent traveling on a train from/to Brussels to/from Marseille or Avignon...)

The itinerary will include: Marseille (possibly Avignon), Aix en Provence, Nice, St.-Tropez....

What was my favourite place to visit, Saint Rémy en Provence, has fallen out of the original plan because, unfortunately, it is not very well connected to other places by public transport (I forgot to say this is an important point, we want to use trains or buses go get everywhere).

So, I'm now missing a visit to a sort of rural, picturesque place, with all the "provençal" flavor, smallish and not as posh as the rest of the places we'll be visiting....
Anybody has any ideas?, Grasse, Toulon, Arles, Nimes?...
(I'm not so keen on going to Cannes but maybe someone can "convince" me.) rolleyes

Any pointers on nice hotels or B&Bs, restaurants, transport companies, etc, would be greatly appreciated as well.

THANKS!!!!! laugh

#81466 - 08/19/05 01:13 PM Re: Holidays in Provence....recommendations?
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I do not think MadridMan would mind if I recommend another website were you might have a better chance to find answers to your questions

www.slowtrav.com and www.slowtalk.com.

They have a forum for France.

I found about MadridMan's website from someone that participates here and the slowtalk forum. wink

Bill

#81467 - 08/19/05 02:18 PM Re: Holidays in Provence....recommendations?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
The SlowTalk forum is very good. I'm a member there too! smile

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#81468 - 08/19/05 08:46 PM Re: Holidays in Provence....recommendations?
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
Last summer, my wife and I hiked from one Bed & Breakfast to another along several trails in Provence. We started our journey at Vaison la Romaine hiking through the villages of Seguret, Gigondas, Beaumes de Venise, Le Barroux, Malaucene, and Sablet.

I would recommend the town of Vaison la Romaine, interesting from an archeological point of view, is surrounded by the river Ouveze. On the right bank are two different quarters: the site of the ancient Roman colony and the modern town. Archeological digs have revealed immense, luxurious, and elaborate Gallo Roman homes. We stayed at the Hostellerie Le Beffroi. http://www.le-beffroi.com/

Gigondas, this little village with its great name is situated at the foot of the Dentelles de Montmirail. This little village with only 700 inhabitants is an absolutely essential stop for lovers of these world-renowned wines.

Our Favorite was Malaucène is nestled at the foot of Mt Ventoux. It takes shape around its ancient fort. All that remains of Malaucène's fortified enclosure is a few of the gates. Malaucène is the starting point for many walking trails and horse-riding trails to the Mont Ventoux. It was our favorite because we loved the home and hospitality of Madame Sylvie of La Demeure de Manon. http://www.guideweb.com/provence/bb/manon/

All of the above places can be reached by bus from either Avignon or Orange.

The best website for information on Provence is http://www.provenceweb.fr/e/provpil.htm

Bon Voyage

#81469 - 08/22/05 02:57 AM Re: Holidays in Provence....recommendations?
pim_on_tour Offline

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
Gsobotta,

Many, many, many thanks!!! laugh

Cheers! smile ,

p

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments