MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#81422 - 06/02/05 07:10 AM UK recommendations
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
If any of you are visiting the UK here are some of my favourite places to visit/stay:

1. Cornwall (the only Celtic part of England). All the south-west has nice scenery and beaches, but Cornwall is in a league of its own. Best to avoid Newquay though, unless you like typical drunken loutish behaviour. The rest of Cornwall (despite being a top English tourist destination) runs at a slower, more civilised pace.
2. Bath
3. York (and indeed much of Yorkshire)
4. Glasgow and Edinburgh
5. West coast of Scotland. Highlands and Islands
6. London (if you've plenty of money to spend).
7. Nottingham

I've also heard that the south-west coast of Wales is very nice.

And here's 3 things to try:
1) A cream tea (how many calories can you take)?
2) Drinking in a traditional UK pub (not to be found anywhere in London - avoid)
3) Museum of Religion in Glasgow or the Galleries of Justice in Nottingham.

Enjoy!!!

#81423 - 03/05/07 01:15 PM Re: UK recommendations
notyor Offline

Loc: Oldham
No Snowdonia or Lake District?????? eek eek eek eek

#81424 - 03/07/07 12:30 AM Re: UK recommendations
Vegas baby Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, NV USA
I drank at a pub in London....why avoid it?
I had no troubles.

#81425 - 03/07/07 09:58 AM Re: UK recommendations
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
from my experiance of london pubs i think what filbert means is that the beer is lousy and very expensive! the further north you go the better (and cheaper) the beer. it has a tendensey to be flat and taste like cold tea.

#81426 - 03/07/07 10:15 AM Re: UK recommendations
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
I was born and bred in Windermere, Cumbria (Lake District) and now live in Holmfirth, Yorkshire - so if anyone has anything they would like to know about either area ... feel free.

Can't beat a pint of Tetley Mild cool , and I am the Queen of Yorkshire puddings :hdspin:

Jo

#81427 - 03/07/07 11:35 AM Re: UK recommendations
nevado Offline

Tetly Mild, YOU GO JO!!!!

#81428 - 03/12/07 04:22 PM Re: UK recommendations
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

even though i am a lancastrian i have got to admit yorkshire is absolutley beautiful, the oldie worldie villages, canals,countryside, are all places well worth a visit. The history of haworth (bronte country). the beautiful village of skipton and surrounds of the yorkshire dales.beautiful might just have a drive around these parts on sunday

#81429 - 03/13/07 05:19 AM Re: UK recommendations
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Thanks Nevado cool gotcha

And Lancashire has some interesting places too of course billy the man cool

One city I think visitors to the UK overlook, is Manchester. A big city with lots of diversity. I think I'm right in saying the university has the largest student population in England. Amazing town hall buildings (hugely underrated in my opinion), Rusholme (curry mile), Museums (including the Imperial War Museum at Salford Quays), Theatres (the Lowry Theatre is an interesting modern building, also in Salford Quays), lots of places to eat, drink and dance. My favourite at the moment is the Beetham (Hilton) Tower - apparently Britains tallest residential sky scraper. I don't know why the top bit doesn't topple it over (oh and it's got a problem with wind oscillating around it and producing a middle c in certain conditions which I believe is very irritating lol).

Currently there is a Spanish Film festival showing at the Cornerhouse, which is a fun place to hang out in Manchester.

You are right about the canals billy the man - definitely worth a walk alongside, especially somewhere like Marsden - Linthwaite, where you can see huge old mill buildings, almost in the middle of nowhere, and imagine what life must've been like.

Hope you've got your tartan blanket and Thermos flask at the ready for Sunday.

For those visiting such as the Lake District, it's worth asking where a local would suggest you stay as, although it's obviously a fantastcially beautiful area, there are pitfalls as in most places. However, the very thing one person may perceive as a negative, could be what someone else is looking for.

And if anyone manages to walk over Striding Edge, then I'm impressed. I suffer from vertigo and have yet to achieve it (and believe me I have tried!) I am determined to this summer.

On the moors behind my house, it's deserted. You can walk for miles and see no-one. Lots of wildlife though.

That's enough for now. If anyone has any specific questions, I'll be more than happy to answer them.

Jo

#81430 - 03/13/07 07:24 AM Re: UK recommendations
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

you are absolutley correct jo-anne manchester is a very vibrant city after the bombings the building work has been enormous,the city centre has been rebuilt, all the old mills you once would not live in for a gold clock, you now cannot afford them all turned into flats.dont forget the trafford centre every shop you can think of in one building (and it is a beautiful building)and yes i agree manchester is overlooked by visitors. but it could be about to overtake a lot of places shortley as it is a great place

#81431 - 03/13/07 09:05 AM Re: UK recommendations
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

... and yes, here's one of those big mills converted into luxury apartments. I have mixed feelings, but have to admit that I am often drawn to going to have a look at this particular development. And such magnificent buildings have previously been left to ruin, so at least they have been restored.

This one is a couple of miles from me and lies between the Huddersfield Narrow Canal and the River Colne.

Here you can see better how it's situated:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments