Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#81417 - 06/01/05 08:22 PM Japan
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I am working on a very exciting two week (maybe longer) tour with a multigenerational group of American travelers to Japan. We have a lot of great connections both here in the US and in Japan, which is making it all the more interesting, but I'm pretty clueless about Japan in general. I would love to get recommendations for websites and books that have information about visiting Japan that is helpful to first-time travelers there. I would also love to hear about impressions that foreigners had when they visited Japan for the first time. I've been finding interesting things online, but it isn't all recent, and I thought perhaps some of this board's members might have some advice, insight, or just anecdotes. Many thanks in advance!

#81418 - 06/02/05 12:47 AM Re: Japan
nevado Offline

Sounds exciting, Diane- wish I were going with you! I'm certainly no expert but I've been over there many times and have never been disappointed. One thing I'd point out is that the Japanese seem to keep to themselves on public transportation- you won't see people talking or carrying on like you might in the states. Eye contact is rare and "loudness" is frowned upon. Obviously you will stick out like sore thumbs but you won't be harassed. I never felt that my security was in danger and I explored alone during every trip. The public trains are great- there are several companies so you need to know which company serves your destination.
The food is amazing and there are several spots that cater to certain types of food- you go to a noodle place for noodles, sushi for sushi, etc.
Things you probably don't want to miss (imho) are Hiroshima, Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka (Himeji castle, outside of Kobe, is very nice).
I would suggest everyone try using chopsticks before leaving home. Forks are not always available so perhaps they might want to bring one along. Wood chopsticks are the easiest to handle- sometimes they'll give you the plastic or metal ones and, good luck!
I must go but I hope this helped.
A book you could read might be the Culture Shock Japan book- they have a whole series of countries and although some information is very basic, they do talk about customs and no no's while visiting and living in Japan.

#81419 - 06/02/05 08:53 AM Re: Japan
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Diana,

Take a look at the link below for the East West
Center (part of the University of Hawaii)- should give you some solid content -
http://www.eastwestcenter.org/

What a great two weeks you are in for ....

#81420 - 06/28/05 05:15 AM Re: Japan
Alando Offline

Loc: Japan
Diana,

I have been living in Japan for about a year now, and came to Japan on vacation twice before I moved here to teach English. Big difference between vacationing in Japan and living/working in Japan. A vacation to Japan is a lot of fun - expect culture shock as it is very different here from anything you have seen in the Western world.

However, a word of caution, as you are a female, when riding the very, very crowded trains it is entirely possible that you will be groped by Japanese men. While the stereotype of Japanese men as being reserved is true for some, many act very differently towards gaijins. I have heard many female English teachers that have confirmed this has happened to them when riding the trains. Also, the trains while very convenient are over-priced and very confusing to first-time visitors. So, get a map of the train system the first day of your arrival - they have an English version.

Also, though Japanese study English in high school, most can not speak more than a few words and can understand virtually no spoken English. Furthermore, they generally consider it rude that gaijins ask questions in English. So, don't expect much help - better to find your own way, if possible. If you are travelling in Tokyo or Osaka, the Japanese are very familiar with foreigners, but in rural areas this is not true. Someone wrote that Japanese do not make much eye contact, but they will stare at you relentlessly if they find you interesting to look at! Haha...

I am not sure what your ethnicity is, but if you appear "Latin" or "Spanish-looking" expect more staring. The Japanese are used to seeing a lot of white Americans or Canadians, but are generally less familiar with Latin, Spanish or Latinos, though there are quite a few Brazillians in Japan.

You will find that many Japanese are very polite, but understand that this is their culture, it doesn't necessarily mean that they like you. Like most things in Japan, it is just for show.

On the plus side, Japan has an abundant supply of very beautiful women...but guess this won't interest you much! wink

#81421 - 06/29/05 07:26 PM Re: Japan
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Thank you all so much for the comments and links - this is exactly the kind of information I was hoping for! Please do keep it coming, anyone who knows Japan - the trip will happen in 2006, so if anyone has more interesting info, I'd love to hear it!!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments