MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 10 11 >
Topic Options
#81322 - 06/06/05 02:58 PM Re: Argentina
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Most of the wealthy Argentinian people I became acquainted with at Universities in the U.S. were Argentinian; but they lived in Uruguay (Punta del Este, for example). I was in an MBA Class with one: He celebrated his 21st Birthday at the U.S. University and his birthday present was a 30,000 hectare ranch in Argentina.

I guess Uruguay is where Argentinian Movers and Shakers live their high rolling lifestyle.

#81323 - 06/06/05 05:09 PM Re: Argentina
jabch Offline

Eddie:

Quote:
Most of the wealthy Argentinian people I became acquainted with...were Argentinian"
What were you trying to say???

Anyway the wealthy part was really clear to me.

Most people from Argentina I've met say things are going really good in Argentina. They are probably in the middle-upper class.

#81324 - 06/06/05 05:20 PM Re: Argentina
jabch Offline

Eddie: It just came to my mind...How he did to be just 21 and be already studying an MBA here in the U.S, most times you don't finish college until you are 22 years old. Anyway, he probably was wealthy...and smart!!

#81325 - 06/07/05 05:55 AM Re: Argentina
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
jabch writes:
Quote:
What were you trying to say???
Many wealthy Argentine landowners live in Uruguay.
Quote:
Eddie: It just came to my mind...How he did to be just 21 and be already studying an MBA here in the U.S, most times you don't finish college until you are 22 years old. Anyway, he probably was wealthy...and smart!!
I may have been mistaken about what birthday he was celebrating: maybe his 25th?? IMHO he was not a 'prodigy:' In our MBA Program we were assigned to groups to address & solve a business problem: sometimes two or three International students would be 'teamed' with an American student, hopefully one with 'real world' experience. Rodrigo, my Argentine team-mate had no business experience whatsoever; and he was not 'the sharpest knife in the drawer.'

#81326 - 06/07/05 07:05 PM Re: Argentina
richie Offline

Loc: barcelona
By the wording, still sounds like I was guilty of something.

#81327 - 06/10/05 05:12 AM Re: Argentina
Pia Offline

Loc: Finland
I'm not very familiar with the US system of higher education: do you first go to college after high school and graduate at about 22, and is this equivalent to a bachelor's degree?

#81328 - 06/10/05 10:01 AM Re: Argentina
jabch Offline

Yes Pia. In fact, in the U.S., they have what they call professional schools. Law and Medicine are professional schools for example. So unlike many European countries, in the U.S., you can't attend law school until you finish your college degree.

#81329 - 06/10/05 12:39 PM Re: Argentina
Pia Offline

Ok, but what do you you study at college if you want to go to law school? And how common is it that you go on to master's?

Our system has been pretty different from most of the European schools too; I was always shocked how young people were when they graduated in other EU countries until I realized they we're getting their bachelor's, and in Finland you usually go straight to master's and only get the bachelor's if you need to drop out or take a break from your studies for some reason. I think Holland has had the same. But we have the Bologna process going on and from this fall on, all students are going to do the 2-part degree. We also have "polytechnics" where you study more non-theoretic subjects like tourism, media, health care etc. In some other countries like Sweden those are taught in Universities, but Swedish education sucks anyway smile

#81330 - 06/10/05 01:44 PM Re: Argentina
jabch Offline

Pia: You can study whatever you want. Unless you want to go into patent law you have to have a college degree in science (any area, chemistry, math, whatever).

As to master's degrees in the U.S., most people don't study them. They are seen as very research or academic oriented. However, in some areas are more common or practical approach like in business, medicine, and education.

I think your average American feels he/she can do good enough without advanced education. Experience is very well paid.

#81331 - 06/11/05 11:08 AM Re: Argentina
Pia Offline

Probably true. Here most top jobs require a higher degree so it's become the norm lately. But thanks for the info!

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 10 11 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments