MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >
Topic Options
#81362 - 10/24/05 10:37 AM Re: Argentina
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I seriously thinking for next year to visit Argentina. I have bought a guide book and I am visiting some travel websites for more information. Also I lucky to know a fellow photographer from Argentina who is now living in New York City. He was the one that put the idea to visit Argentina in the first place and is giving me advice.

For some more research on Argentina, I have bought a DVD done by the Globe Trekker travel program on PBS station in the U.S. I think it is good DVD and having saw it, has only increased my interest to visit Argentina. So if you are looking for a good quality DVD, I can recommend this one.

laugh Argentina GlobeTrekker DVD

Bill

#81363 - 12/13/05 03:55 PM Re: Argentina
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

I just might be going to Argentina for two weeks in March or April next year. Right now I am in the planning stages and will decide to go or not to go in January. My heart is set to go and I found out I can use my frequent flyer mileage to cover the cost of the flight from the US to BA making this a cheap trip.

My plans so far are is to spend one week in BA, three days for Iquazu Falls and three days in Salta. I picked Salta because most of the comments I have read on many travel website describe Salta as being a beautiful place. I wonder how beautiful it will be during the time I am there. I might add one day for Salta at the expense spending one day less in BA if I can do the Train to the Clouds.

Bill

#81364 - 12/16/05 12:30 PM Re: Argentina
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

hi everyone, I am writing to you from Ushuaia, the city at the end of the world...it is absolutely gorgeous! After leaving Jujuy, went to Puerto Madryn and the Valdes Penninsula. What an experience to go to a penguin colony and see thousands of penguins in their natural habitat. It was such a memorable experience. Here in Ushuaia, we went to the Tierra del Fuego national park, which is spectacular.

Tomorrow we leave for Calafate, where the Perito Moreno glacier is. I cannot wait.

Bill, you will LOVE Argentina. It is an amazing country, filled with beautiful landscape and friendly people.

While in Buenos Aires last month I met up with arthurg from MadridMan, and we were able to have a delicious dinner together. He loved Buenos Aires too!

Salta is a really great destination. From there you must go north to Jujuy and go to the Quebrada de Humahuaca, to the towns of Purmamarca and Tilcara. The region of Salta also has some beautiful landscapes to explore. You will love Salta as a city too. We have stayed at the Hotel Salta , right on the plaza 9 de julio. I would recommend it very highly, for location and for charm.

Keep posting about your plans! I know you will be happy to have experienced Argentina.

#81365 - 12/16/05 01:50 PM Re: Argentina
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Quote:
Keep posting about your plans! I know you will be happy to have experienced Argentina.
Will do and you keep posting too. I enjoy reading about your travels in Argentina. laugh

Bill

#81366 - 12/28/05 09:15 AM Re: Argentina
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

well, we are finally back home in NY after 5 months in Argentina! The experience with the Fulbright exchange was amazing, the people we met were so warm, Argentina is a spectacular country...not only Buenos Aires, but the rest of the country is fenomenal. The landscape is so varied! We were able to see and explore the northwestern part extensively, and we fell in love with it; but our last 10 days were in Patagonia...a must-see for everyone! We were amazed at the amount of Spanish (and Italian) tourists throughout Patagonia. I loved hearing the Spaniards all around us, on any tour we took! I (sort of) felt like I was in Spain! Weird, huh?

Going to Ushuaia, the end of the continent, was so exciting! However, for me, the MOST thrilling was being at the Perito Moreno Glacier in El Calafate. WOW! It is amazingly gorgeous! What a sight. The other place that we loved was Punta Tomob, near the Valdes Penninsula, where we went to a penguin colony! What an experience to see thousands of penguins and be able to be walking around in their habitat.

All in all, I recommend Argentina to all! You will not be disappointed. Guaranteed. :hdspin:

#81367 - 12/29/05 02:51 PM Re: Argentina
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

esperanza

So you are back home in time for New Years.

I do not know to feel sorry or happy to read that you are back. Well I can feel happy for your daughter and your safe return. Sad that you returned and there will be no more stories about Argentina from you.

I will admit I am envious of you that you were able to visit Argentina and be away for such a long time. You are a very fortunate person to able to do it. laugh

Happy New Year esperanza! thumbsup

Bill

#81368 - 01/28/06 11:01 PM Re: Argentina
arthurg Offline

Loc: new york
Just wanted to belatedly add my thoughts to those expressed previously by Esperanza. I spent three and a half weeks in Buenos Aires late November/early December and had a wonderful time which included a great Friday evening dinner in a lovely outdoor Palermo restaurant with Esperanza and her daughter. I rented my own apartment and attended Spanish language classes at the IBL School (which I highly recommend). The thing I really enjoy about Buenos Aires is the ability to lose oneself in the city and just live there as one of its citizens for whatever time you have. I rode the Subte (subway) every day between my apartment and the school and hardly ever bumped into other Americans as is so often the case in major European cities. It was fun using my less than perfect Spanish going to the supermarket, the laundry, etc and felt very much at ease with all the Argentinians I came in contact with. They are a very warm, friendly and welcoming people. I can't wait to go back. If you have been thinking about going to Argentina----do it! The US dollar and the Euro are very strong down there now, and you should have a wonderful time at a lot lower daily cost than any of the major cities of Wesren Europe.

#81369 - 02/12/06 06:50 PM Re: Argentina
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
Esperanza

I am considering a trip to South America next year. I want to fly into Santiago, Chile visit Torre de Paine National Park then travel to Argentina. Did you travel by bus in Argentina? I am considering taking the bus from Puerto Natales, Chile to El Calafate, Argentina then on to El Chalten. I am interested in your opinion. From El Chalten we will travel to Buenos Aires for a few days.

Thank You
gsobotta

#81370 - 02/12/06 08:05 PM Re: Argentina
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

hi there! Yes, I have traveled by bus in Argentina. We traveled from Cordoba to Jujuy (a 16 hour trip). Argentines take long bus rides often. The buses are clean, show movies, stop for meals, have unlimited water and juices, coffee, etc. They have "coche cama" seats that are quite comfortable.

Traveling by plane is expensive, and there is no national railroad system anymore, so the bus option is a very good one.
You will love Argentina! El Calafate is magnificent! I know I will return there. We stayed in a very nice hotel called Hotel Kosten Aike .
Let me know if I can help you as you are planning. smile

#81371 - 03/12/06 07:20 AM Re: Argentina
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

A spectacular event is happening in El Calafate these days: pieces of the Perito Moreno glacier are breaking off, and it is going to be a real EVENT. clap To read about it here in Spanish . The newspapers around the world will certainly be covering this.

When we were there in December we were able to see and hear a little cracking and breaking off of the glacier, but what is happening now is real news. I wish I could be there!!!

Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
1 registered (ChrisS), 1618 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments