Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#81161 - 04/19/04 05:22 PM Re: Back from Costa Rica!
Chicagoan Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Well, I just went to Costa Rica in February. Here are my pictures, I rigged them so you don't have to sign in, you can just click on "view photos" hopefully it will work. Beautiful country, lots of crime - my friend had her passport and money stolen on a bus but that's another story. It all worked out allright. We went to Montezuma (loved it!) and Manuel Antonio. (not crazy about the town but loved the national park)

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=135iryi7.92lh6lyn&x=0&y=9s0f9s

#81162 - 04/28/04 01:21 AM Re: Back from Costa Rica!
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Another question: What is the electrical adaptor situation there? I was told by a friend who spent a week there that it was the same currency as in the USA and that I wouldnt need to bring adaptors...is this true??

#81163 - 04/28/04 01:23 PM Re: Back from Costa Rica!
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Yup, it's true! It was the first trip I've been on in a long time in which I could use my own hairdryer everywhere we went!

#81164 - 05/02/04 11:35 PM Re: Back from Costa Rica!
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

whats the best way to handle money, use the ATMs like in Spain? Any opinions, on must sees while in the country? Il be working mondays-friday, so what kinds of things can i do in just a weekend?

#81165 - 05/04/04 09:06 AM Re: Back from Costa Rica!
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I found the money situation an interesting one. The local currency is the colon, but US dollars are accepted in many places that cater to tourism. They just give you your change in colones. For people who visit Costa Rica as tourists, I actually think it's possible to not exchange dollars, pay with them, and use the colones received as change for small purchases. As for ATMs, you can find them in the cities and larger towns, but not out in the country. Also, not all the ATMs are connected to the same network as American banks. Again, your best bet is to use an ATM in one of the major banks in a city. Interestingly, some ATM machines will ask you if you want to withdraw your money in colones or in dollars! I haven't been to Cartago, but I would imagine you can find an ATM that will work for you there.

There are loads of things to do in Costa Rica on weekends. The best thing to do would be to ask the people you'll be with. Beyond that, I can recommend some of the things we did: visit Monteverde - it's worth 2 days at least. Visit an active volcano. Visit the national parks- they're all a bit different. Go to the Manuel Antonio park to swim and see the monkeys. Fly through the forest on a zip line - an absolute must! Go rafting or kayaking, and go horseback riding. See the giant sea turtles come ashore and lay eggs (we didn't do this but would love to - you'll be there at the right time.) Relax in the hot springs at Tabacon, by La Fortuna (we went at night and it was magical.)

I think you'll love it!

#81166 - 05/04/04 10:51 AM Re: Back from Costa Rica!
Chicagoan Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
The ziplining was so much fun that we had to do it twice. I could do it every day!

And that's right, no ATMs in the small towns. Even a tourist town like Manuel Antonio had ONE ATM a few kms away from town up the road! No ATM in Montezuma either. They are hard to find. As far as colones vs dollars, I used both.

#81167 - 08/05/04 11:12 AM Re: Back from Costa Rica!
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

I'm back!! Way too much to expalin in a single post, so if anyone wants more details, or info on how to do something similar let me know! In sum, I had the most amazing summer of my life. I worked at an orphanage in Paraiso, Costa Rica, a small town outside of Cartago. I learned sooo much from those kids. Lots of them have absolutely nothing, come from nothing, yet somehow they were some of the happiest, and most positive kids Ive ever had the joy of working with. While I hope that they learned something from me, I will forever carry them in my heart and never forget what they shared with me and taught me. Im already trying to start raising the money to go back next summer. Woa ok, now I need to get off my soapbox.

Aside from the kids and the work I did, Costa Rica was an amazing country in general. Thanks to everybody who pointed me in that direction.
The ticos were amazing and some of the kindest and most generous people ive ever met. As far as traveling, I didnt get around to as much of the country as i would have liked because I had to work weekends a lot. But I did get to MonteVerde and Manuel Antonio. Both of which were amazingly beautiful.
Paz!
Kelly smile

#81168 - 08/05/04 11:30 AM Re: Back from Costa Rica!
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Welcome home!! laugh

#81169 - 08/05/04 11:39 AM Re: Back from Costa Rica!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I'm SO happy to know you had a wonderful experience in Costa Rica. Sounds just great. My ladyfriend (in Madrid) and I are toying with the idea of spending 2 weeks over the Christmas holiday in Costa Rica - to rival our two weeks in Perú over the same holiday 2000/2001.

Certainly this time you spent in Costa Rica was a life-changing experience. Good for you. You no doubt have a wider horizon of consciousness which comes with traveling the world.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#81170 - 08/06/04 12:08 AM Re: Back from Costa Rica!
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Definitely check out Costa Rica if you get the chance MM. If you went around christmas time, that would also be one of the best times of the year weather wise to visit. I was there in the rainy season...and they aren't kidding when they say its RAINY! But the locals I talked to all said that the dry season has just absolutely beautiful weather. Wouldnt that be a treat from those snowy and freezing cold midwest winters! cool

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments