Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#81145 - 07/09/04 03:53 PM Argentina
esp Offline

Loc: Redwood City, CA USA
Greetings,

I found this site to be extremely useful when my wife and I planned our trip to Spain and Portugal in 2000/2001. I'm now in the process of doing research for our trip to Argentina at the end of July (and let me tell you, there isn't a site like this that I've come across yet). We're flying into Buenos Aires and will have 12 days in country. Does anyone have any tips/suggestions about a reasonable itinerary/lodging? We're not backpacking this time, but we like to see as much as we can without completely wearing ourselves out. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you

#81146 - 07/09/04 11:29 PM Re: Argentina
mencey Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
I have never been to Argentina but I have a few friends that have spent some time there, and 4 out of 5 of them were robbed at gunpoint in 4 different instances. All of the instances took place in Buenos Aires. Be careful. One of them actually was shot at but the gun jammed.

#81147 - 07/20/04 05:51 AM Re: Argentina
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
esp, how are things going with the planning? I'm VERY interested to hear about it. You must be leaving very very soon. Can you tell us a little more about what you know so far? I'd LOVE to travel throughout Argentina someday. My ladyfriend has been talking about visiting Iguazu Falls for years and we'd love to see this massive, natural wonder together someday.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#81148 - 07/20/04 03:29 PM Re: Argentina
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
It's been quite a few years since I went to Argentina, so I'm afraid I won't be of much help. But I hope you have a wonderful trip! We saw Iguazu Falls, which MM mentioned, and that's definitely worth visiting. (We flew from Buenos Aires to the Brazilian side of the Falls for the best view. We were there in early January, which was not the best time because the water was low. I imagine now's a better time.) I actually liked Brazil better than Argentina, but that's just me - though it's so dangerous in Rio I don't plan on returning any time soon. We had no trouble with safety in Buenos Aires, but perhaps that's changed now. The one thing that did stand out for me in Argentina was the steak. I'd always heard that Argentinian beef was the best in the world, and you know what? It is! I hope you're not vegetarian, and enjoy!! (We ate steak every day we were there, till we needed a break - and headed for a Spanish restaurant for paella!)

#81149 - 07/21/04 02:47 PM Re: Argentina
esp Offline

Loc: Redwood City, CA USA
Well, at this point, I know we fly out of San Francisco next Thursday and arrive back in San Francisco August 11. Other than that, nothing is definite (not that there's anything wrong with that). I've been reviewing information on a site called Virtual Tourist (as well as all of the guide book sites), and that's been somewhat helpful for getting an impression of the place. We're definitely going to be spending time in Buenos Aires, and we'll also go to see Iguazu Falls. I'm still tyring to track down information so that I can decide whether to fly down to Ushuaia in Tierra Del Fuego, or go to Salta in the northwest and take the "Train to the Clouds". I want to do both of them, but we don't really have enough time. It's winter at the bottom of the world, but we like to travel in the winter time (that was one of the best things about our trip to Spain and Portugal-mild weather and no crowds). I'm inclined to reserve a room for the first several days and then just make it up as we go from there. In a way, it doesn't matter what we do as long as we do something. I'll post more as I make progress.

#81150 - 07/21/04 04:56 PM Re: Argentina
charlost Offline

Loc: madrid ahora en buenos aires
Esp, Im living now in Argentina and I have been in several places. Its difficul to say which one is the best place to go. In your case you have few days to see such a huge country so maybe it a good idea try only with Buenos Aires and the North. Of course dont forget to visit the Iguazu falls, now its the best time, no so hot and with so much water falling, and falling and falling... smile everywhere, for me one the best things Ive ever seen and probably the best waterfall in the world cause its in the middle of the forest (sub-tropical forest)
How to go?? Well I went by bus, not a great idea cause the distances are too long here for me (Im spaniard and believe I love small countries smile ) but its cheaper than plane but you are from the states, here the economy fell down in 2001 and now 3 peso=1 dolar so... But something is true, there is a price for natives and a price for tourits so youll have to pay in some places more and the tourism in Argentina is made for foreign people. Nevertheless its still a very cheap country for you.
Well.. about the mid-wheather and no crows... Im afraid you are coming on winter as you said but in the south is pretty hard, in Usuhaia the temperature falls under cero during the day. But as I say maybe you dont have time to go (if you dont want to wear yourselves out) By the way if you decide to go to the south its much better the Glaciar "Perito Moreno" in Calafate. You have regular flies and believe me eek I can hardly express (even if my english was good enough) how impresive it is. (check at internet). Its a tongue of ice of 6 Km with a average of 60 meter high and the only glaciar over the world is still growing.
Well the north is incredible, the best for me cause I like not only the nature but the culture and the spirit of the people too. Of course there are not indians (Spain first and Argentinian goberment killed most of them... I mean long time ago :p )but the people there keep themselves quite close to those old cultures (incas, dieguitas and others)...Whatever the landscape has a huge power and touch inside your mind and body (I dont know if Im clear enough...)You cant miss Tucuman (Tafi del valle), Salta(the city and "la quebrada de las conchas" and Jujuy.
There are plenty of places more like Valdes´ Peninsula where you can see and almost touch the southern right whales (Ballena Franca) in the city called "Puerto Madryn" or Mendoza, next to the Aconcagua the highest mountain in all the continent (almost 7000 meters), but a lovely city too with one of the best wine in America
About safety... I have been leaving here for 4 months now, not problem yet but everyday people died. In this city live 4 millions of people but almost 12 in the province... 1 of 10 people was robbed there is a rare mixture between money and misery.
Places to visit in Buenos Aires...Uhmmm.

1.San Telmo (quite safety, go on Sunday to the market. Plenty of people)
2.La Boca (tradicional area of the tipical Buenos Aires) Dont go in the night. There are lots of tourist during the day. I lovely place, you cant miss it.
3.Teatro Colon
4.9 de Julio, 25 de Mayo Streets
5.Puerto Madero...Lots of good restaurants and new buildings (product of the capitalism and corruption playing toguether but anyway... wink
6.Calle Florida (nice street full of tourists)

You should go to the tourist office. My girlfriend is working in the reception (Suipacha 1111) and visit: secretaria de turismo de la nacion

If you want to ask send me a message, Ill try to do my best.

Saludos

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments