Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#81128 - 11/04/04 09:19 AM UK - www.megabus.com
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Hi

Just thought I'd pass this onto others looking for cheap transport in UK.

WWW.MEGABUS.COM

Have just booked a return journey, for myself and a friend, from Manchester to London. Going on a Saturday, returning on a Monday for £2.25 (return inc. booking fee) !!! It takes about 5 hours each way.

The coach terminates at Greenline Coach Station somewhere between Victoria Train station and Victoria Coach station, and from then on I'll be lost!

It will be interesting to see how good the service turns out to be. I'm even tempted to book an (extra) alterntive time for the journey home at this price, just incase it's more convenient!

Has anyone else used megabus before?

Jo

#81129 - 11/04/04 09:42 AM Re: UK - www.megabus.com
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Not sure how comfy this is going to be for 5 hours!

Quote:
megabus.com vehicles range from 70 seat articulated coaches to 94 seat megadeckers. Most vehicles have on board toilet facilities, where this is not the case rest stops will be provided on our longer journeys.

Jo

#81130 - 11/04/04 09:57 AM Re: UK - www.megabus.com
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Wow, what a bargain, Jo! How can they afford to offer a trip of that length at such an inexpensive cost. The price of petrol alone would eat up any profits! Unless they are trying to establish their firm and later raise their prices.

Can't wait to hear your story! smile

Cheers,
Carmen

#81131 - 11/04/04 10:04 AM Re: UK - www.megabus.com
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Hi Carmen cool

Magabus is part of Stagecoach and you can read more about it here MEGABUS/STAGECOACH

You can even go from Aberdeen to London for the same £1 fare!

Quote:
A £1 fare on megabus.com’s Inverness to London route, a distance of 575 miles, is equivalent to 0.17p per mile.
I'll certainly let you know how it goes!

Jo

#81132 - 11/06/04 10:21 AM Re: UK - www.megabus.com
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
I'm given to understand that Megabus is an attempt to emulate the budget flight's methods. If you book your bus ticket well in advance you will get a v. cheap price. If you book only a day or two prior to your departure you will pay more...
I suspect the bus company is hoping for a lot of people buying tickets when they are not certain to travel and so gaining revenue from no-shows. I fear this won't be a success in the long run - unlike flights, you nearly always have a cheap bus option even if you only book a day beforehand. It may be of course that Stagecoach (the company behind Megabus) wish to put National Express out of business...
At least it's a situation we can take of advantage of...

#81133 - 11/07/04 10:23 AM Re: UK - www.megabus.com
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Oh ohhhh ...

Found this posted on the message board on The Lovely Martin Lewis\' MONEYSAVINGEXPERT.COM site

Quote:
went on my first megabus journey yesterday, bristol - london for a quid plus 50p booking fee!! Guess you can't expect too much for a quid, but the buses are old double deckers, and this one was sooo scummy I hardly dared sit down!!! Also, don't sit upstairs on long journeys on motorways when it's windy...pretty queasy swaying to and fro after a while!!! Still, brilliant value, even last minute they only seem to go up to a fiver or so.
But I'm being optimistic and hoping that we get one of the slightly more upmarket ones smile

Jo

#81134 - 12/03/04 06:38 PM Re: UK - www.megabus.com
englishrose Offline

Loc: England
smile Thats amazing

#81135 - 12/03/04 07:22 PM Re: UK - www.megabus.com
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

cool

Only another week to go before I take my blanket and thermos flask onto the bus eek

cool

#81136 - 12/04/04 03:28 AM Re: UK - www.megabus.com
Bricamb Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
I think Stelios the Easyjet guy is starting and Easybus network sometime soon as well as EasyHotels....which might work out a whole lot cheaper especially if you need a room say in central London.

#81137 - 12/04/04 04:59 AM Re: UK - www.megabus.com
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Yes, Bricamb you are right. www.easybus.co.uk started up recently, but at the moment it covers only

London
Luton
Milton Keynes

frown

I'm sure it will expand in the future.

Not sure if anyone will manage to beat the £1 from Aberdeen to London though eek

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments