Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#81121 - 12/23/04 06:27 PM Phoenix/Tucson
Ed S Offline

Loc: Harrisburg, PA, USA
We are heading to Phoenix for the Fiesta Bowl over the New Years weekend to cheer for my Pittsburgh Panthers. Hoping to get some great Mexican food. Anyone out there (Desert Dweller?) have any good tips about places in either city that I may not find in guide books? One of those great, locals only places. Our hotel is in Mesa and we are doing a day trip to Tucson. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, any ideas for things to do in Phoenix. We are planning on seeing the Sonora Desert Museum and Saguaro National Park in Tucson, but I haven't planned anything other than the football game in Phoenix. It is a short trip, a day free in Tucson and a day in Phoenix. Thanks.

#81122 - 12/23/04 06:47 PM Re: Phoenix/Tucson
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
I don't spend much time in Phoenix (the battle of the counties, the battle of the university sports teams...you understand!) But Tucson is home, and you're welcome to call while you're in town. As for food...I think Bill Clinton was a fan of Mi Nidito. El Minuto is good too, and Cafe Poca Cosa is a cult favorite. I live on the east side and prefer our view of Saguaro National Park...though ours is up close to the mountains. You can get in and hike for free. The Saguaro West entrance gives you the big desert view and some petroglyphs. Don't forget to see the Mission...San Xavier del Bac. It is one of the oldest working missions in the US and is quite lovely.
Please email me if you want my home phone number.

#81123 - 12/23/04 11:35 PM Re: Phoenix/Tucson
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Rosita's in Phoenix, it is about 100 yards west of 24th St on East McDowell. If you check the phone book it will have a 2300 block of East McDowell. In the down town area there is the El Matador. I don't know the address. For barbaque or ribs there is Honey Bear's on East Van Buren. That is not far from where the game will be played in Sun Devil stadium. For steak in Phoenix there is Durant's it has been in the same place since 1947. It is on North Central,legend has it that Jack Durant use to be Bugsy Seagel's personal chef. Wheather that is true or not I don't know. If you are looking for a taste of the old west then there is Pinnacle Peak steak house in North Scottsdale.Western atmosphere, no neck ties allowed, if you ask for a steak well done they bring a plate with an old boot on it. Can't help with the address. There are two local chains by the name of Macayo's and Garcia's they both have "ok" Mexican food but they are more geared to the tourist trade not us locals. There is another one on East Indian School by the name of Tee Pee, my personal beef with it, is the accoustics are terrible. Still the food is good and the prices are not bad. It is in the 4400 block of E. Indian School, they fed GWB in there a few months back when he was in town. Feel free to send me a personal E mail and I will send my phone number for more information.

smile cool smile cool smile cool

#81124 - 12/24/04 08:15 AM Re: Phoenix/Tucson
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
I'm going to need Deserrt Dweller's help on this -I'm hoping he knows and can remember the name of the "hole in the wall" that had some of the best Mexican food I've ever had ... It's in Cottonwood driving north from Phoenix towards Sedona. As you are leaving Cottonwood, there's a sort-of strip mall on the left hand side of the road - the only store I remember in it sold really great cowboy boots rolleyes

The restaurant - if you or anyone else can find it from these directions - is family owned - no-one speaks english - and the food - with salsa and beans being the crucial test of excellence - was to die for!

#81125 - 12/24/04 08:33 AM Re: Phoenix/Tucson
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
I live in the shadow of Saguaro National Park West and, along with the Desert Museum, it is one of my favorite places. At the visitor center, ask about where to view petroglyphs. There's lots more to see in Tucson, but those 2 will keep you busy most of the day.

I agree with La Maestra about Cafe Poca Cosa. It's one of my favorites, but very upscale. If you are looking for outstanding food and very casual atmosphere, my favorites are Taqueria Juanitos at 708 W. Grant (just west of I-10) and Taqueria Pico de Gallo at 2618 S. 6th Ave. in South Tucson. Pico de Gallo has freshly made corn tortillas and I recommend the fish tacos. Both are easily accessible from the west side. We had takeout from Juanitos last night and I was in heaven.

#81126 - 12/24/04 10:27 AM Re: Phoenix/Tucson
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Puna, usually when I go to Sedona I am making a large loop. showing friends and family the drive between Prescott thru Jerome then down to Clarkdale and north to Sedona. Cottonwood is left off of my path of places to stop, although it is right there. I am familiar with the stirp mall that you mention, but have never been in it. Megia is from Sedona and maybe he can help you out on this one. smile

You will find a lot of places that are family run and nobody "habla ingles." They can open a business and get a Federal Tax Id number without a SSAN or "green card." Once they have the FTIN, the needed state tax numbers, now they own a business, blend in and "la migra" dosen't hassle them. Some of the best and safest drivers in the State of Arizona don't have licenses, insurance, or green cards. They work, save, then buy a pickup and some landscape tools, then go around and hussle work door to door. Now they don't need a job or a green card. All part of the underground economy, right out in the open. cool

#81127 - 12/24/04 04:54 PM Re: Phoenix/Tucson
Ed S Offline

Loc: Harrisburg, PA, USA
Thanks for the numerous and quick ideas! I especially like the casual places, no need for upscale here. The one with the homemade corn torillas sounds great. My favorite (and it seems the best) places are always the small, non-pretentious spots. I will be sure to let everyone know our experiences.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1731 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments