MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#81037 - 09/26/04 07:14 PM Re: Spanish for Native Speakers
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
Ive never been able to agree with the mentality that people have that simply because a teacher or instructor is not of a particular group cannot teach that particular subject.

The arguement being that the only way one can teach a class such as Spanish for native speakers, or Aftrican American studies for example is to live it or experience it. It's true to a certain degree, but isn't that one reason why teachers take sabiticals or write a thesis? I have gotten into some pretty good arguements with various ethnic groups because they feel this way.

Frankly I don't care what your background is as long as you have the credentials to teach it! I feel its a mixture of pride, ignorance and plain ol' predjudice.

When I was attending middle school and high school in the early and mid 70s we had the radical M.E.C.H.A. teachers teaching these classes and frankly they turned me off to taking any further Spanish classes.

#81038 - 09/26/04 08:27 PM Re: Spanish for Native Speakers
marilisa Offline

Loc: Virginia (EE.UU.)
I am not Hispanic but it doesn't seem to be an issue with the parents. They really haven't asked me! I have a Spanish last name (Garcia) and still have my Castillian Spanish accent when I speak, so maybe they think I'm from Spain! smile I did live there for over twelve years.
I will be checking out the textbooks you've recommended. I'm still waiting to hear from the administration and school board if this class has been given the go-ahead for next year.
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions!

marilisa

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2216 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments