Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#81027 - 09/04/04 07:21 PM Spanish for Native Speakers
marilisa Offline

Loc: Virginia (EE.UU.)
I'm a high school Spanish teacher and would like some input from any other teachers who are in my situation. In the past few years, quite a few students from Mexico and Central America have enrolled in my high school. Their knowledge of English is practically nil. Many are placed in Spanish classes with the rest of the student population but find it hard to follow because a lot of the instruction is done in English -- particularly in Spanish I and II. I'm also finding that although Spanish is their first language, they have difficulty reading and writing it properly. To make a long story short, I would like some information on materials and textbooks for native speakers in this situation. I'm thinking of proposing to my school administration the creation of a Spanish class for native speakers. Have any of you done this before? These students are placed in ESL and the usual core classes but I wanted to see what I could do to help them in this area. If anyone has any information -- personal experience, websites, textbook titles, etc.-- I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks,
marilisa

#81028 - 09/09/04 02:45 PM Re: Spanish for Native Speakers
Lonoma Offline

Loc: Sevilla, Spain.
Have a look at www.profes.net. It’s the website of Spanish Editorial SM. In Spanish.

Saludos

#81029 - 09/10/04 02:19 AM Re: Spanish for Native Speakers
virmonsal Offline

Loc: Southwest USA
Marislisa:
Have you investigated the possibility of doing AP (Advanced Placement)Language and/or Literature? It would expose these students to advanced grammar and composition concepts and would help polish the extensive knowledge that they already have about the language. Most of these students are already proficient in speaking and listening comprehension so you could concentrate on developing their vocabulary and reading and composition skills. The literature segment of the AP programs exposes them to good Spanish and Latin American literature including such authors as Matute, Lorca, Borges, Unamuno, Garcia Marquez, among others. It entails a lot of work on their part (and yours too), but the carrot on the end of that stick is that if they score high enough on the rigorous end of the year exams, they can end up with some free college credit.
And it makes you look pretty good, too, when you get a kid that scores a 4 or 5. smile

#81030 - 09/10/04 06:52 AM Re: Spanish for Native Speakers
marilisa Offline

I don't think these students are ready for AP. Many of them do not read or write Spanish properly. Their families come here to work in agriculture or in poultry factories and they want their children to go to school to get their diploma (or GED). Some of the students cannot spell in Spanish or write complex sentences in their native language. Of course, their speaking and listening skills are fine because Spanish is what they speak and hear at home. Their parents want them in school but cannot help them with their schoolwork. I know it's frustrating for these students.

#81031 - 09/10/04 07:56 AM Re: Spanish for Native Speakers
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
Perhaps the problem is that the Spanish classes are being taught using English. From a pedagogical point of view, this is quite a bad idea!

In all my decades of studying languages (French, Spanish, Catalan, German, Italian), I've never taken a single class that was conducted in a second language.

Is there any flexibility about how these classes can be taught? Depending on how many spanish-speaking students there are, perhaps there could at the very least be a Spanish class for native Spanish speakers that was conducted entirely in Spanish and was geared toward literacy and "standard" Spanish. A class that would recognize that these students are entirely fluent in speaking, but might need work on grammar, reading and writing.

Are you in the DC area?

#81032 - 09/10/04 09:02 AM Re: Spanish for Native Speakers
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Marilisa, our public high school has a special track of Spanish for native speakers because of the same problems you describe. It's really set up for the Mexican population here. The classes are conducted entirely in Spanish and they include cultural aspects the students deal with.

I'm afraid I can't help you with materials or curriculum, but you can read a brief course description here . There are e-mail addresses for the teachers on the web site - perhaps they could give you some more information.

#81033 - 09/10/04 06:37 PM Re: Spanish for Native Speakers
marilisa Offline

Thank you all for your suggestions! Keep them coming! smile

In an ideal world, I would love to teach my Spanish classes totally in Spanish BUT my school system isn't ready for that yet! rolleyes I use a lot of Spanish in class but I still need to give grammar explanations in English many times. In a class of 25 students, I may have one or two native speakers. I would just like to be able to help those students learn to read and write properly in their own language.

Another issue my school has been having is that the students and their families move quite a bit. Some students do not stay in the school for the entire school year and we always have new students coming in the middle of the year. I suppose their parents move on to better paying jobs in other areas.

Again, thanks for the ideas. You all have been very helpful.

marilisa

#81034 - 09/25/04 08:57 AM Re: Spanish for Native Speakers
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
hi there

My school has been using Nuevas Vistas text from Holt, Rinehart and Winston and everyone seems pretty happy with it. From the link above you can go to the textbooks' websites (both curso uno and curso dos) and you can get a feel for the outline of the textbook and use their online activities.

I would also request an examination copy of these two books from the textbook company.
buena suerte... smile

#81035 - 09/25/04 11:44 AM Re: Spanish for Native Speakers
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I just wanted to post to say that you are doing an excellent work. If not for people like you spanish-speakers in the US would be condemned to a life of frustration. They could not write/read neither in spanish nor in english. Keep on!

I'm not a teacher (but an engineer) but if you need help just let me know.

Fernando

#81036 - 09/25/04 02:18 PM Re: Spanish for Native Speakers
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Many school districts across the country offer Spanish for Spanish speakers classes...and if you have enough students to warrant that, go for it. Otherwise you can see if your Spanish text has a Spanish speaker's component. Some do.

You didn't say whether you are Hispanic yourself. I found, as an anglo teacher, that many of my heritage learners were reluctant (sometimes hostile) about learning THEIR language from someone who is not of "la raza." I had parents up in arms, for example, when I dared correct a lad for writing "gárrame el niño!" (The boy wanted to say "bring me the child," but the only word he had ever heard used for bring was "garrar.") I hope you have better luck than I did!

#81037 - 09/26/04 07:14 PM Re: Spanish for Native Speakers
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
Ive never been able to agree with the mentality that people have that simply because a teacher or instructor is not of a particular group cannot teach that particular subject.

The arguement being that the only way one can teach a class such as Spanish for native speakers, or Aftrican American studies for example is to live it or experience it. It's true to a certain degree, but isn't that one reason why teachers take sabiticals or write a thesis? I have gotten into some pretty good arguements with various ethnic groups because they feel this way.

Frankly I don't care what your background is as long as you have the credentials to teach it! I feel its a mixture of pride, ignorance and plain ol' predjudice.

When I was attending middle school and high school in the early and mid 70s we had the radical M.E.C.H.A. teachers teaching these classes and frankly they turned me off to taking any further Spanish classes.

#81038 - 09/26/04 08:27 PM Re: Spanish for Native Speakers
marilisa Offline

I am not Hispanic but it doesn't seem to be an issue with the parents. They really haven't asked me! I have a Spanish last name (Garcia) and still have my Castillian Spanish accent when I speak, so maybe they think I'm from Spain! smile I did live there for over twelve years.
I will be checking out the textbooks you've recommended. I'm still waiting to hear from the administration and school board if this class has been given the go-ahead for next year.
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions!

marilisa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2278 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments