Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#81015 - 06/26/04 08:31 AM what does it mean?
mecky Offline

Loc: US
My friends that are teachers in Madrid and in Coruna are sometimes puzzled in the expressions I use such as "Who licked the red of your candy? OR She has her panties in a whad. etc.etc Do any of you know of books that have these sayings. I am writing down everytime or try when I think of these expressions, but a book on this would be even greater. If you know of any please also share them with me also.

#81016 - 06/26/04 10:59 AM Re: what does it mean?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hi Maggie --

I am not familiar with the first expression that you posted. I have heard a different version of the second expression...."don´t get your panties in a bunch"...

I am wondering if the regional differences also apply to the UK. I don´t know of any specific book title... but one geared to idiomatic expressions and more specifically, slang, would be your best bet!

smile

#81017 - 06/27/04 12:41 AM Re: what does it mean?
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
Hi!

You know, even though English is my native language, I'm still trying to figure who and why the h#ll someone came up with '...screw the pooch!' What on earth??

Anyway, hilarious topic!

Those types of 'localisms' or 'colloquial' phrases often have their origins in history somehow, and can even be related to literature, news, famous people's quotes, etc...

An example, 'the real McCoy...'

I'm not sure I'd know where to begin with finding a book addressing this topic. Ask an English teacher?

andrew

#81018 - 06/27/04 06:03 AM Re: what does it mean?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I don't know if you are referring to sayings in English like: "Who rattled your cage?" or "Don't get your bowels in an uproar!" or sayings in Spanish. For the latter, the next time you are in Spain, visit a bookstore (or book stall) and ask for a Refranero Español. The one I have was published around 1960 (Madrid, Aguilar)

Madrileños speak in refrains (not unlike Londoners). When you ask about them they reply 'es un refran' o 'es un dicho'. I think you may find the one about getting your Knickers in a wad may come from the Cockney. rolleyes

#81019 - 06/27/04 02:26 PM Re: what does it mean?
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
If you look at Barnes and Noble, amazon.com, or Borders online sites and search for colloquial dictionaries you will find books like:

The Oxford Dictionary of Idioms

NTC's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions

Heavens to Betsy! and Other Curious Sayings

Slangman guide to Street Speak 1

Companies that publish ESL textbooks usually have dictionaries in their catalogs that would meet your needs. Remember that British, American, and Australian slang are all different, so you probably should decide which is more useful for your students.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments