MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#80944 - 01/07/04 07:27 PM Spanglish
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I came across this today and thought it was worth reading...especially for the Spaniards on the site who may not realize how Spanish is sometimes spoken here in the US by some Spanish-speakers ( as well as my own students at times!):

¿Cuántas palabras inglesas (anglicismos falsos) hay en esta historia de un chico especial?

El chico fue en bas a la marqueta a comprar grocerías pero cuando arrivó notó que no tenía pan; ni coras, nicles, daimes o tostones...sacó afuera su dinero y sólo eran unos penis. No fue en su limón, un carro estándar, porque estaba en el garage con un mal cloche y peores brecas. Volvió atrás a su casa con su amigo que le dio un raite. Había tenido carros; un van, un jeep, un camper y otros, pero todos eran yalopas, y encontró que costaba mucho dinero componerlos. Él no podía arreglar sus coches porque nunca manejó terminar automecánica en la jai escul a causa de que no se podía tragar el tícher de la clase, que era el vice principal de la escuela...no le caía bien, aunque el míster Jones era buen gringo.

Este chico pretería cortar clases, ir al cho, bulchetear con sus amigos de su ganga, decir "te guacho" y tener un buen tiempo en partis. Como gastaba mucho empezó a tener muchas drogas y no les ayudaba a su padres con ni uno de los biles. Después, él realizó que necesitaba profesión y trató de enrolarse en un instituto vocacional. Se registró, y hizo su aplicación de becas. Ahora deseaba suceder...asumió que podía...pero...no hubo chance...No tenía diploma de Ia escuela alta o buenos grados. iPobre! Pero, ahora sería industrioso para probarles a todos que no era un fallado. Iba a improvarse.

Y entonces le dio duro...y chambió como loco. Estuvo en un dompe, fue a los files y como no sabía como piscar, lo pusieron de troquero, checaba tíquetes en un draivín, media bloques para la ciudad, ayudó al sherife, trabajó en una factoría de rines, fue trainer de beisbol, ayudante menor del mayor de la ciudad, manejador de un troque de agua y de un picap pulando trailas y puchando carros yonqueados al parqueamiento de la ciudad. Bueno, a los veintiunos años, él ya había tenido un bonche de chambas, pero no estaba satisfecho ya que no usaba los resorces de la ciudad.

Decidió estudiar en el júnior college de Chabot. Él iba a taipear y a estudiar español y inglés remedial. Le fue bien pero en español no duró mucho porque el profesosr se reía cuando éI decía cosas como "mecha", "mi zinc liquea", "chutear y cachar la pelota", "él telefón", el "traque del tren" y otras palabras que irritaban el profesor. Salió de la clase y no volvió.

Se motivó, finalmente, en sus otras clases y más, y llegó a ser algo. Sí, pero todavía no tenía mucho dinero...su esposa se lo llevaba de él siempre o la insuranza quería todo. ¡Pero era un entrepenur ahora! Tenía su negocio...y nuevo, rentaba videos. Lo comenzó en Navidad y ahora lo ha estado ope-rando por tres meses. Los amigos le dieron las congratulaciones y le llevaron presentes, como chones, chores y chus muy bonitos en una parti sorpresa cuando abrió su "vide video." Todos le deseamos suerte.

here is where I found this!

#80945 - 01/08/04 08:40 AM Re: Spanglish
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
It is hardly understandable, more if you don't speak english smile

Spanglish is a very curious mix of spanish and english. However, I really prefer english and spanish separated, adapting words from one language to the other when it is really necessary (i.e. no equivalent word exists in the other language).

Fernando

#80946 - 01/08/04 09:07 AM Re: Spanglish
Anonymous
Unregistered

Uffff! frown

#80947 - 01/08/04 10:17 AM Re: Spanglish
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
My pet peeve is when students call the
biblioteca a libreria! They equate, incorrectly, the English library with the Spanish libreria, because the words look and sound alike. rolleyes

#80948 - 01/08/04 11:15 AM Re: Spanglish
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Please do not think that I like or "get a kick out of" Spanglish...it drives me NUTS! My students tend to put an "o" at the end of a word to make it Spanish when they do not remember the correct word. The reason I mentioned it to all of you is basically to just show you this craziness.

#80949 - 01/08/04 12:19 PM Re: Spanglish
Anonymous
Unregistered

Booklady: At first I made exactly the inverse mistake when learning English.

Esperanza: My 'thumbs down' sign and my frown weren't dedicated to you. smile I thank you for the input. I had heard that stuf to a peruvian friend of mine who has lived for years in California, but never saw it written.
It's that unnecessarily hybrid language that I hate. I would rather have Spain speak English (proper English) than that freak.

smile

#80950 - 01/08/04 01:27 PM Re: Spanglish
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
When I was in my school years, we tended to add the suffix "-ation" to a spanish to automaticly convert any words we didn't remember in english laugh

Of course, our english teacher had a mix of desperation and laugh. laugh

Fernando

#80951 - 01/08/04 01:56 PM Re: Spanglish
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

thanks Ignacio smile ( I just felt that I needed to clarify my post!!)

#80952 - 01/10/04 11:02 PM Re: Spanglish
virmonsal Offline

Loc: Southwest USA
What chaps my hide is those people who don’t understand that language is about communication and who get indignant and take on tones of superiority if the language is not spoken according to the rules of the Real Academia. Did the passage cited in Spanglish communicate meaning to me? Absolutely! And with a little effort, I'll bet it does for many people.

For those of us who are third, fourth, fifth or even sixth generation Hispanics from the southwest U.S., it’s a miracle anyone even continues to speak any kind of Spanish, given that the dominant culture has done its level best to eradicate it. Try growing up illiterate and uneducated in your native language and see how fine yourlanguage sounds. Try being a six-year old and getting a good ear-twisting from the teacher for speaking Spanish on the playground. I wonder how encouraged you would be to continue.
I, for one, am grateful for the evolution of the language. It could well be a dead one here, were it not that people can adapt it to suit their purposes.

#80953 - 01/11/04 03:47 AM Re: Spanglish
miche_dup1 Offline

I'm wondering now whether to speak, write and talk "proper" would mean trying to communicate the best way one can rather than to shut up for fear of making a mistake. Because that would mean Ignacio and Fernando and many other Spanish members should not write in English since, after years of practicing English, they still cannot write "proper" English."(I had heard that stuf to a peruvian friend of mine)". Eh?!!

But hey I know what Ignacio is trying to say.

Ok, the context is different, but not that much since all that we are wishing to do is to communicate and express ourselves the best way possible/to the best of our abilities. God knows, I find it hard in my own language sometimes and so I appreciate the efforts made and only wish my Spanish was as good as Fernando's and Ignacio's English is.

Perhaps Spanglish is more comendable since it is a 'creative' phenomena rather than the odd spelling and grammer mistake here and there.

Hasta later,
Michelle.
(Whose "bete noir" is English grammer).
wink

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2967 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments