Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#80913 - 10/10/03 10:59 AM the usage of "de que"
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
A question was posed in one of my classes as we were talking about Unamuno this week which I would like some feedback on...if you have the time wink please!

The sentence was: En cuanto a la pregunta de si don Manuel es religioso, la respuesta es.... I think it should read En cuanto a la pregunta de que si don Manuel es religioso, la respuesta es....
First of all, am I correct? and secondly why? I can't seem to figure out how to explain it...yet it sounds better to me. What is making me hesitate is that during a class I took this summer, the professor spoke at length about the "dequeismo" and I am wondering if this is an example of that...a misusage ? confused

Gracias...

#80914 - 10/10/03 03:31 PM Re: the usage of "de que"
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Esperanza, check out the preview of the new Diccionario Panhispánico de dudas which is being developed by all the Spanish Academies in the world. You will find information about the Dequeísmo issue there. Real Academia Española

#80915 - 10/10/03 05:27 PM Re: the usage of "de que"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wrong, Esperanza:

These are very extended defects in spanish. There ins the well known "dequeísmo", consisting in saying "de que" when it shold be "que" like in "pienso de que tienes razón" (wrong).

The opposite defect is omitting "de" when needed. It is called "antidequeísmo". This is common in people who try to sound more cultured but is not. Like in "Me enteré ( de ) que su padre había muerto".

There is an easy rule: The "que" is the beginning of a "oración de relativo" (a frase beginning by "that", that's explaining something). The "oraciones de relativo" can be substitued by a word or expression. You use "de que" or "que" depending on what you'd do if you used the word or expression. Examples:

1 Me enteré de la muerte de su padre.
Me enteré de que su padre había muerto

2 Es necesaria la moderación
Es necesario que seamos moderados.

The right expression would be "de si Don Manuel...".

"de que si Don MAnuel..." doesn't sound natural at all to my ears.
"de que " should only be used when "que..." and whatever goes afterwards can be substitued by a word or expression like those in the example above.

#80916 - 10/13/03 10:07 PM Re: the usage of "de que"
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
thanks for your thoughts Antonio and Ignacio

#80917 - 10/22/03 02:27 AM Re: the usage of "de que"
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
...no hay qué...I mean, "no hay de qué." :p

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments