MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#80890 - 09/24/03 05:05 PM Ideas for Unamuno's San Manuel Bueno, mártir
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for debates or other oral class work that could be related to Unamuno's work... I have my Senior class( AP level) doing an essay and of course I will test them, but I was hoping to do something "creative " in class---I thought of an interview between Unamuno and the main character, Don Manuel...and antoher with God interviewing Don Manuel to see if he is worthy of ever-lastng life in Heaven...

any other ideas you could think of? gracias.

P.S. Madridman---don't let this forum die!! :o

#80891 - 09/26/03 09:44 AM Re: Ideas for Unamuno's San Manuel Bueno, mártir
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
Don Manuel does not believe in the existence of eternal life. If you were to enact God interacting with Don Manuel, that might be contradictory to the writing of Unamuno. The priest lived and died as a non believer. He worked as a priest. It was his job. But, he did not accept the Absolute / Universal Truth.

Perhaps a debate: "existe o no existe el Dios y la vida más allá". It would get very personal.

Perhaps a role playing, where you assign parts and they act out how they might develop the story line.

Perhaps a game, like jeopardy, with religious issues or literary issues from this work.

I taught this novel in the environment of a Catholic school. The students had been trained to be very sensitive to the issues. Sometimes, THEY enlightened me with their insight as to the meanings in this novel. After teaching it 10 years, I still learned more from one girl last year whose interpretations knocked me off my chair.

#80892 - 09/26/03 03:59 PM Re: Ideas for Unamuno's San Manuel Bueno, mártir
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Sofia, I am thinking of doing a debate with the theme : Sainthood for Don Manuel...
I presented the idea to them today and they really liked it.

#80893 - 09/26/03 07:50 PM Re: Ideas for Unamuno's San Manuel Bueno, mártir
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Viva Esperanza, I wish I were in your class!

Excellent idea! If you want to have fun you can have a student do a comparison with Albert Camus'
book, The Plague. Compare/contrast Don Manuel with the Paneloux, the Jesuit in the Plague, and how they continue their work despite their lack of "traditional" faith.

You may want them to delve into the existentialist meaning of dignity and endurance in both characters.

Some ideas anyway.

#80894 - 09/27/03 07:02 AM Re: Ideas for Unamuno's San Manuel Bueno, mártir
Sofia Offline

Esperanza, your debate topic is right on. I remember that as we read the novel, the kids kept saying, "¿Cómo puede él ser cura?" They thought Don Manuel should be kicked out of the priesthood. As the story progressed, they saw the "holiness" of his ways, and then started to define his character as that of a good priest.

The issue of suicide could easily be translated across time and culture. Some kids like to talk and think about suicide.

As I looked back on my previous post, I had to make a change. Don Manuel did not believe in the after life, which is a fundamental value and belief of the Catholic Church. However, he did seem to believe in God. He did critize people who believe blindly and yet he catered to them. He pushed either Angelina or the reader to question why she/we believe.

The way "Romeo and Juliette" and "Wuithering Heights" have been adapted into modern interpretations in the cinema, this novel would translate very well into a modern setting. That's just my opinion. I suppose that a European or Latin American director would direct this masterpiece because of ... the religious culture involved. (A U.S. director could do it, but it seems less likely.)

Esperanza, I don't know everything about Unamuno and this work, but I can say that it is absolutely my favorite book. It has actually helped me and been on my mind while I lived the death of a loved one. It is so beautiful that it makes me cry every time when Don Manuel is on the altar for the last time.

Unamuno teaches a lot about the philosphy of religion, life and death. But, wasn't that his daily job besides being a writer? He was a scholar and professor of Philosophy at the University of Salamanca. I want to go there!

#80895 - 09/27/03 08:06 AM Re: Ideas for Unamuno's San Manuel Bueno, mártir
Sofia Offline

TOURNIQUET
by Evanescence
from the CD "Fallen"

"I tried to kill the pain
But only brought more
I lay dying
And I'm pouring crimson regret and betrayal
I'm dying praying bleeding and screaming
Am I too lost to be saved?

(chorus)
My God my tourniquet
Return to me salvation.

Do you remember me
Lost for so long
Will you be on the other side
or will you forget me
I'm dying praying bleeding and screaming
Am I too lost to be saved
Am I too lost?

(repeat chorus)

My wounds cry for the grave
My soul cries for deliverance
Will I be denied Christ
Tourniquet
My suicide."

Ask the kids to lend you this CD.

One national critic said (I read this on the internet somewhere), "It is like the voice of Sara McLaughlin singing over Nine Inch Nails." The CD debuted last spring.

My students and I thought the song "Tourniquet" was the Don Manuel theme song.

The singer is a 20 year old from Little Rock, Arkansas who has an intense focus on death and dying. I would bet that many kids in your class know of this band.

#80896 - 09/27/03 10:06 AM Re: Ideas for Unamuno's San Manuel Bueno, mártir
el viajero Offline

Are you teaching in a church-affiliated school? If not, is there a problem with having your students debate the existence/non-existence of a god or gods?

#80897 - 09/27/03 10:08 AM Re: Ideas for Unamuno's San Manuel Bueno, mártir
el viajero Offline

Are you teaching in a church-affiliated school? If not, is there a problem with having your students debate the existence/non-existence of a god or gods?

I agree that the book has a strong existentialist bent. As I see it, pretending to believe in the tenets of the church is Manuel's personal sacrifice to bring peace to his parishoners.

#80898 - 09/27/03 12:21 PM Re: Ideas for Unamuno's San Manuel Bueno, mártir
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

We are in an independent school; it is also very a very liberal environment and I am free to discuss anything I would like. ( those are the good aspects of the place!)

Sofía, I will look into that song...I know they would like it! And about Salamanca...it IS a wonderful and inspiring city. You really must get there. I also LOVE Unamuno and San Manuel Bueno, mártir is one of my absolute favorites, that is why I wanted to read it with them. It is really working out well...They like it and understand it and enjoy the symbolism and it has provoked some EXCELLENT discussions...it has pushed them and challenged them to discuss these mature and philosophical topics in Spanish.

#80899 - 09/27/03 04:02 PM Re: Ideas for Unamuno's San Manuel Bueno, mártir
Sofia Offline

"San Manuel, Bueno" seemed so perfect for us. We are a Catholic school.

I agree with El Viajero's note about Don Manuel's personal sacrifice. He lived to bring peace and happiness to others. In making the sacrifice, he saved himself from suicide's calling. (We got into discussion of church history regarding suicide and mental illness. Also, suicide is a theme that young people are interested in discussing.)

I wish you good luck and hope that your students are hardworking enough to benefit from your labor of leading them through a very adventurous world of narrative and new ways of thinking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments