Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#80796 - 04/10/03 05:34 AM graduate work?
emilyka Offline

Loc: Pamplona
Hey all-

I am not a teacher but I have a question that I think is appropriate to this section. I would like to get some opinions as to which are the best schools to do graduate work in Spanish (literature) in the States. I know Columbia is supposed to be the ideal, any other ideas? Also, I have been told that having a licenciatura in Filologia Hispanica from a Spanish university could allow me direct admission to PhD programs instead of having to do a masters as well. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated,

em

#80797 - 04/10/03 04:16 PM Re: graduate work?
Gloria_dup1 Offline

Loc: Casper, Wyoming
Hello Em,

My experience with New York University was challenging and rewarding. I studied in the summer months in Salamanca. The professors were from the University of Salamanca and top notch. Their program in Madrid during the school year is even better. You can find them at Miguel Angel 8 just off La Castellana. Also housed in the same building is Middlebury and several other university programs. Most of the programs in that building use the same wonderful professors. I studied there as an undergraduate My history teacher was the granddaughter of Menendez Pidal. All are similarly impressive in there credentials and experience.

I hope you find a program to fit your needs

Gloria

Good luck

I know that in New York they have wonderful professors too. My experience with them was positive in every way.

#80798 - 04/10/03 04:47 PM Re: graduate work?
SRedw Offline

Gloria,

Both the Middlebury and NYU programs have LEFT the Instituto Internacional and have their own building. Middlebury has moved to Chueca, while NYU has moved close to Santiago Bernabéu stadium. Both are out of that place and offering even more quality and challenges to their programs.

Shawn

#80799 - 04/10/03 06:59 PM Re: graduate work?
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Em, I studied at NYU at the Instiuto Internacional on Calle Miguel Angel YEARS ago eek . We had the best professors-- the poets Carlos Bousoño, José Hierro and Aurora de Albornoz, and the literary critic Joaquín Casalduero (the Cervantes expert!). Being there and learning from those professors changed everything in my life...

Good luck with your decisions. smile

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments