#80659 - 04/11/06 08:37 PM Re: Illegal Immigrants
Dave B. Offline

Loc: Lancaster, Ohio USA
Go ahead and be political Gazpacho!

#80660 - 04/12/06 10:11 AM Re: Illegal Immigrants
fulano Offline

Loc: califas
jabch asks,
"Going back to the idea of a north-America type of Union with free movement of labor force, what party in the U.S. is likely to be opposed to something like that? Why? "

jabch, unfortunately probably all the party's in power in all three countries of a proposed "North American Commonwealth" would be opposed.
Until we as people can rid ourselves of our current rulers (from all political parties!)and return to a true democracy with strong leadership and a desire to unite the people and be motivated by a sense of service and respect for our countries laws and the constitution then I'm afraid nothing will change except the continuing and constant diet of BS, divisiveness, and quest for more power and wealth, fed to us all by our present so called leadership
Hate to sound like a nihilist but the BS from our "representitives" comes down so heavy you need to wear a hard hat for protection.

#80661 - 04/12/06 11:19 AM Re: Illegal Immigrants
carlos11 Offline

Loc: Florida,USA
Just like Mushrooms,kept in the dark and fed do-do. smile

#80662 - 04/12/06 12:26 PM Re: Illegal Immigrants
jabch Offline

Quote:
the BS from our "representitives" comes down so heavy you need to wear a hard hat for protection.
LOL

#80663 - 04/12/06 01:10 PM Re: Illegal Immigrants
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
It's fascinating and sad to realize how short-lived the memories of Americans are. I can certainly understand the fears regarding Mexican immigration by people in states such as Georgia, or Nebraska, or some other state that has no history of connection with Mexico. But California and much of the southwest used to be part of Mexico, and not all that long ago. The California consititution was written in Spanish and English, as someone on this board pointed out. We have 10th generation Los Angelinos whose first language is Spanish. So, I wish the southwestern United States would embrace our Spanish/Mexican culture. I would like to see all our schools require bilingualism, with half the day in Spanish , half in English, much the way education in Galicia is conducted--Both Galego and Castellano are required, with students turning out fluent in both, and adding English and often French to their educational breadth. I am sorry that my own children were not forced to study Spanish language and Mexican/Spanish culture and history in depth starting from kindergarten, continuing through high school. If they were, then the "problems" created by so many immigrant children from Mexico and Latin America might turn into assets. Our newly arrived children would be more likely to succeed in school and become educated professionals rather than stuck at MacDonalds or picking strawberries. And our American-born children would be better educated as well. Why are we so afraid of multi-culturalism in the US? Ask the Californians who voted to outlaw bilingual education. We should be educating ourselves to become more completely bilingual, not less.

Fulano, I hope you are communicating your immigration plan to you representatives in Congress. Start a campaign.

#80664 - 04/12/06 01:29 PM Re: Illegal Immigrants
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
aidance,

This time I agree with you. Learning two languages is an asset, not something to be threatened by. However, I guess it's the additional cost of paying for bilingual teachers that bothers people, and I can't blame them there.

#80665 - 04/12/06 09:58 PM Re: Illegal Immigrants
Gretchen6 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Do bilingual teachers get paid more????? The last job that required I be bilingual and have a college degree paid $6.00/hr. I loved it but had to move on. What a shame. BTW....Aidance good points on the history of California smile

#80666 - 04/16/06 02:59 PM Re: Illegal Immigrants
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Immigration is not the real issue, the real issue is the "Illegal immigration." By entering our country illegaly the way they do, they are already showing that they have no respect for our laws. I beg to differ with some of the points that have been posted here, the illegals are not just taking "low end" undesirable jobs. The other problem that I have is, they seem to feel that we the American taxpayer must subsidize their life. An example is when they go to the hospital, they run up a $60,000 bill and have no intention of ever paying a dime on it. Yet let one of us go into Mexico and do the same thing,they would prevent us from leaving until payment arrangements had been made. If we were to go to Mexico and enroll our kids in school there, would they make special arrangements for bi-lingual education for American English speaking children? We know the answer to that one already. Get in a car wreck in Mexico sometime without car insurance and see how it is handled, let one of them get in wreck here without insurance, "to bad so sad."

This mentality of the Mexican government that they can export their economic problems north of the border is starting to get old. Some of the problems that we have here on the south border are the security problems. In the common pathways there have been found Muslim prayer mats, abbandon clothes with Arabic writing on the clothes tags, you know that was not put there as a decoy by a Mexican.

Someone suggested that they open the borders and have one free commonwealth area. That has been tried in the crudest form, known as NAFTA. Anyone familiar with NAFTA is aware that it has been a complete disaster. Canada is still dumping at below cost lumber, the US still has not cleaned up it's enviornment, and Mexico is still one of the poorest,most corrupt, countries on the face of the earth.

I just returned from two weeks in Spain and England, and as anyone in Europe will tell you, if there is a problem in the world, it is GWB's fault. Of course the immigration protest were on the tv, and the Europeans did not have to be asked what they thought of the situation, GWB had caused it all, and they had no problem with telling you so either. cool

#80667 - 04/17/06 07:05 AM Re: Illegal Immigrants
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
According to my wife, who watches Univision all the time: Newscasts on that Channel tell of thousands of Illegals who participated in last week's demonstrations being summarily dismissed by their Employers. They were Fired for taking part in an illegal 'Work Action' with no right of appeal and no Union to help them. eek

Under pending legislation, their Employers could be fined a significant amount for employing illegals. That may not be the law yet, but it's telling us something. rolleyes

#80668 - 04/17/06 10:53 AM Re: Illegal Immigrants
fulano Offline

Loc: califas
your frustration is understandable DD, but what is the rational and human answer? Round up millions of people? many who have been here and established themselves as taxpayers,homeowners, have children and grandchildren who are citizens etc; etc; etc;.
I think we have a extraordinary opportunity at the present to, instead of bickering and ranting about the Mexicans, to change the world politic by forming a North American Commonwealth (no Nafta is not a good example, it only benefits already powerful business interests) we are already in a decline as a world power due to pressure from Asian indusrial superiority, Mideast oil wars, and the selling out of the US public by our own economic and political so called "leaders".
If we could combine forces with the Canadians and Mexicans then we would have an instant supply of hard working ambitious labor, we would have a tremendous supply of oil and natural gas(US,Canada, Mexico reserves would put us in charge), huge advantage with raw materials like lumber,minerals,etc; and since our industrial powers can't compete with the rest of world due to high labor cost's, the intelligent option would be to adopt Canada's universal medical coverage for all citizens. Then maybe our people wouldn't be increasingly living like some third world population.
If we citizens in the US don't elect strong smart leaders who see the big picture and the future instead of the selfish, divisive, unpatriotic, power hungry idiots we have been suffering with recently then we will be relegated to a third rate old oligarchy that's been passed by.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1564 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments