Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 5 27 28 >
Topic Options
#79590 - 09/01/05 11:30 AM Re: Who will help us!!
jabch Offline

Leaving aside political issues, another problem I see about helping the U.S. is that it takes a lot of money to help them. And most countries don't have that kind of money. For example, the U.S., can easily help other countries in need because the cost of bringing life back to normal in those countries is relatively cheap. But that's not the case in the U.S.

I was reading on the web that "there is not enough money in the gross national product of the United States to dispose of the amount of hazardous material in the area." You may think the U.S., then needs international help, but if the U.S. does not have the money to help itself, then who has it? Even if you put together the international-aid budget of several countries, that is probably not enough to bring life back to normal for those that survived this disaster.

I suspect, as someone else mentioned, the U.S. doesn't want any help anyway and the reconstruction work will bring tons of investment to the area and at the end you will have a stronger economy in that area of the country.

#79591 - 09/01/05 11:44 AM Re: Who will help us!!
Chele60 Offline

Loc: Yorba Linda, California
Chica ~ What a wonderful email! Thank you for sharing that. I know I, for one, am still in a bit of shock when I read/see the devastation in the area, but I know the areas affected will be re-built. I'm just glad they don't have me heading up the operation. Nothing would have been started yet, I would be in such a state of shock! Glad to know better heads than mine are prevailing!

And, sorry to bring this around to politics again, but the news is reporting that several nations around the globe have contacted the US with offers to help in any way possible. Just because Canada isn't immediately sending in tons of baby formula or Spain isn't sending over boat loads of search and rescuers doesn't mean these countries haven't expressed a desire to help in some fashion. After all, our media does have a way of downplaying Europe and other countries offers of assistance. Plus, sometimes it's hard to know exactly what another country might need, but the offer to help - I think - goes a long way, whether it's called upon or not. I wouldn't be so quick to judge another country's response. It might be more generous than we Americans realize.

#79592 - 09/01/05 12:03 PM Re: Who will help us!!
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Filbert: I think you are missing the entire point. The US does not want to be in a situation of isolationism. Clearly the records bear out that whenever a disaster has occured anywhere in the world, the US has responded. After the US Emabassy was captured in '79 and the hostages released in Jan. of 1981 an earthquake occured in northern Iran. The US without question, sent aid and assitance, without being asked for such. It is not a question of can the US afford to rebuild the damaged area, we can, and will do so. Even though the US is seen as the rich brother to the world, not so much as one country has even offered a hand of friendship in this matter. That Filbert, is what is making many Americans, myself included, stand back and say, "what is going on here." It is not a question of does the US have the resources to go this alone or not, clearly we do. It is a question of friendship. Apparently you do not understand that we are not talking about Bahgdad, we are talking about Biloxi. We are not talking about a sick strong armed dictator, we are talking about Mother Nature. So for you and the rest of the world to stand by and say "Hah,lets see the the smarty pants work themselves out of this one." We will work ourselves out, and rebuild to even better than before. Apparently you are forgetting Filbert, that our country was built by a people with nothing more than a will to survive.

The next time there is a disaster anywhere in the world, this I will promiss, the first planes loaded with supplies and releif material will have painted down the sides U.S. AIR FORCE. We don't hold grudges, especially against those in need.

Stay safe, stay healthy, and may the force be with you. smile

Viva la roja, blanco y azul.

#79593 - 09/01/05 01:50 PM Re: Who will help us!!
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Isn't it wonderful that a country that clings to capitalism has enough resources to bounce back from adversity? wink

Doesn't this sink into members from other countries on this bulletin board? I suppose not. mad

I wouldn't expect help from any other country. Most of these barely manage their resources well enough to sustain their own people during non-eventful times. But, hey! We always seem to be there to bail you out.

#79594 - 09/01/05 02:05 PM Re: Who will help us!!
desert dweller Offline

Gazpacho: Right you are, and if the word went out today that some other country needed help. Guess whose planes would be loaded and the first ones off the ground, inspite off all of our own problems.

#79595 - 09/01/05 10:13 PM Re: Who will help us!!
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Gazpacho, DD,

We have this tendency to "forgive" despite the fact that those we help often are the last ones to slap us in the face.

We really don't need anyone's help to get past this tragedy. We've never gotten help from anyone before, and I see no reason we'd need it now. But it would be nice if it was offered so we could thankfully turn it down.

I keep thinking of all the good we could DO AT HOME, if we quit sending so much aid overseas. Right now, that seems like a hell of a good idea.

Wolf

#79596 - 09/01/05 10:16 PM Re: Who will help us!!
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Desert Dweller and Fernando,

There was a little more to our creation than just survival. We wanted a total break from what was considered, at the time, as the total desolation of European affairs.

On the reverse side of our dollar bill is a pyramid. Behind the pyramid is our European past, as was percieved by the founding fathers. There is nothing behind the pyramid but total desolation. Only in front of the pyramid is there vegetation (hope).

We didn't and shouldn't now want to follow the rest of the world. Viva the "Novus Ordo Seclorum" that does, righteously, seperated us from the rest of the world. So if we're perceived as isolationist, you are being very perceptive Fernando. And from what you've previously written, you usually are. smile

New Orleans will be rebuilt and better than before. The press here is as usual all doom and gloom. More Bush bashing, what's new? We all know it was the President's fault that a hurricane destroyed an American city. laugh

#79597 - 09/01/05 10:41 PM Re: Who will help us!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
USAToday.com 9/1/2005 article :

Quote:
Engineers had warned of a looming disaster
By Peter Eisler, Jim Drinkard and Traci Watson, USA TODAY

For years, engineers up and down the Mississippi River have talked about the disaster that would result if New Orleans' bulwark of levees and flood walls were hit by a hurricane like Katrina. But when it was time to find money to strengthen them, the city's defenses ended up far down the federal government's priority list.
Reuters September 1, 2005 Article :

Quote:

Budget cuts delayed New Orleans flood control work
01 Sep 2005 23:19:07 GMT
Source: Reuters
By Andy Sullivan

WASHINGTON, Sept 1 (Reuters) - Bush administration funding cuts forced federal engineers to delay improvements on the levees, floodgates and pumping stations that failed to protect New Orleans from Hurricane Katrina's floodwaters, agency documents showed on Thursday.

The former head of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the agency that handles the infrastructure of the nation's waterways, said the damage in New Orleans probably would have been much less extensive had flood-control efforts been fully funded over the years.
Wall Street Journal September 1, 2005 article :

Quote:

Bush Vows Aid To Storm-Battered Gulf Coast Homeland Security Chief Will Lead U.S. Task Force; Recovery Might Take Years

By JOHN D. MCKINNON and JOHN HARWOOD
Staff Reporters of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
September 1, 2005; Page A3

[...] The Bush administration has waged a steady battle with Congress to slash Army Corps funds since 2001; in June, the Army Corps' New Orleans district was told by Washington to expect its annual budget to fall by as much as 20% in 2006, delaying a study on what the region needed to do to prepare for a Category 5 hurricane.

The financial impact of Katrina, combined with the toll of the Iraq war, represents another complication at a time when the federal budget deficit exceeds $300 billion.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#79598 - 09/02/05 06:23 AM Re: Who will help us!!
Amleth Offline

Loc: Madrid
I've been watching the news these days and I can't believe it.

I'd like to pass on my condolences to all of you.

It's in these cases when we ought to forget our differences and work together. As far as I'm concerned, the government of the US has stated that it will accept any kind of help from any country, including Cuba and Venezuela, which have already sympathised with the victims. This sort of goodwill gestures make me feel proud.

#79599 - 09/02/05 06:26 AM Re: Who will help us!!
desert dweller Offline

MM: I am a little confused as to the intent of your above post. It is no problem at all, to locate members of the "I told you so" club when a disaster such as this occurs. I venture to say that the La. congressional delagation did not act as agressively as they could have to get the funds to make the repairs, that it is now obvious were needed. In the coming months there will be investigations, and no doubt hundreds of documents like this will emerge. Now is not the time for finger pointing.

Page 3 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 5 27 28 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2642 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments