Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 27 28 >
Topic Options
#79570 - 08/30/05 09:51 PM Who will help us!!
mecky Offline

Loc: US
I am very curious to see how many nations on this earth are now comming to help the victims of this terrible tragedy caused by Katrina.
Who will be reaching out to our people in the United States offering help??????

#79571 - 08/31/05 04:03 AM Re: Who will help us!!
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
ufff this thread could get political. Caution! Caution! I have a few things I could say, but will bite my tongue! wink

#79572 - 08/31/05 08:50 AM Re: Who will help us!!
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
This hurricane IS getting huge attention here in Europe. Of course, as you are so good at telling us, your economy is so powerful that you don't really need aid from others. But just in case you are feeling hard done by just remember that 600 Iraqis died today. Tragedy strikes all over the world. If we can help in some way, fine. Whenever a tragedy occurs, whether it be 2000 Chinese killed in floods or 50 Germans and Poles in floods, I am always grateful for living in a less dangerous part of the world (the UK). But it's not always the case (eg 2nd world War blitz on London, IRA bomb attacks, Kings Cross fire etc).
I don't want this thread to degenerate into an anti-US flame - I am grateful to be able to use American inventions such as the internet as I write this post. >>sentence deleted by filbert>>

#79573 - 08/31/05 09:09 AM Re: Who will help us!!
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I do not think anyone should help us. We can manage this one on our own and pay for it with a bigger deficit. Let the world help out in places were the US does not really care about, like Africa.

President George Bush is doing his part, he cut his months long vacation short. He so over worked like going bike riding with Lance Armstrong. Thats hard work for him.

Bill

#79574 - 08/31/05 09:50 AM Re: Who will help us!!
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Mecky: When the tsunami hit last January the US with the kind heart of GWB intially offered up $3,000,000. This was very rapidly scorned by both the UN and nonother than MonSEWER Chirac. For once they were both right, that the US was capable of more aid, and the people of the US did open their hearts and wallets. Now the shoe is on the other foot, and this is going to need the help from around the world, both in money and man power. It will be interesting to see how our allies, especially those in Europe will respond to this.

For the record, donations to the Red Cross and Salvation Army are tax deductable.I urge everyone to put their political bickering aside and contribute to either one of the above organiztions. Remember, Katrina did not hit the Gulf Coast, she hit the US. The over whelming majority of those who participate on this board are Americans. Those are your brothers, sisters, mother, father, aunts, uncles, cousins that are living in the streets with no food, water, or shelter. It could be you next week. We are Americans, knock off the bickering, and lets go to work.

#79575 - 08/31/05 09:55 AM Re: Who will help us!!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Definitely a disaster like this is not the same in, let's say, Afghanistan or Nicaragua (which are poor countries) than in the main superpower.

Anyway, I'm sure that european countries will help if needed (spanish firemen and specialized rescue teams travel to this kind of disasters frequently; they did it on 9/11).

Fernando

#79576 - 08/31/05 11:53 AM Re: Who will help us!!
Chele60 Offline

Loc: Yorba Linda, California
If Europe or other countries respond with any type of aid, I would be grateful but I would never expect or demand it. Overall, Americans have always proven generous towards their own and I doubt this latest devastation will prove any less so. Besides, I think Americans have gotten used to the idea that when disaster strikes our own shores we are pretty much on our own. I do believe that comes with being a "super power," though.

I do know that today, in my community, a local new station got together with the Red Cross and a few local radio stations to set up a drive through donation station from 5am to 7pm. By 6:30am this morning they had already raised $5,000 dollars. A drop in the bucket from what is needed, sure. But if this continues across the US - which I'm sure it will - I think the amount of money and supplies pouring into the affected area will be overwhelming. Americans do, and have, pulled together in times of need.

I know I'll be writing a check this week for the victims, as well as going through my closet looking for clothing to donate. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who will be doing this this week.

Just remember the victims need money, supplies, and our blood banks are in terrible need. Anything one can do helps and we can all pull together!

#79577 - 08/31/05 12:16 PM Re: Who will help us!!
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Prayers and concern and a kind word do not cost anyone anything.
frown

Having been in similar circumstances last year in Florida, just knowing that others cared enough to say a prayer or make a statement of goodwill meant much to reaffirm my faith in humanity. Particularly when you are frightened.

To those of you who have made unkind observations in this thread: Let me assure you that the dead bodies of children, men, women, and elderly floating in the waters or in houses in Mississippi and Louisiana, look pretty much the same as those in any other country. They deserve our prayers and respect,regardless of who sits in the White House.

We Americans will take care of our own and others around the world, our generosity is not limited to our borders. That has been proved time and again.

We will survive!
We will rebuild!
We will endure!

My prayers are with the families who have lost loved ones in this terrible and frightening disaster. My money went to the Salvation Army, who is passing out food and water to the flood victims!

God Bless America!

#79578 - 08/31/05 12:25 PM Re: Who will help us!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I just tried http://www.RedCross.org and wow, the site was extremely slow - and even moreso when clicking the DONATE NOW button. I'll try again later tonight when, maybe, it'll be easier to get through.

It's both encouraging and distressing that it's so sluggish, suggesting that MANY MANY people are flooding the site with their generous donations. But at the same time, sad because some people may NOT donate because of the slow-server. KEEP TRYING, EVERYONE!

Sincerely, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#79579 - 08/31/05 01:13 PM Re: Who will help us!!
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Giving money is a good thing. But "us" Americans have to insure months from now our Federal Government is help out these states.

Look at the small towns in Florida, that were flatten in last years hurricanes. Many of the residents that lost their homes are still living in trailers. How many of you, like me had forgotten about them?

Any help given is short term, real short term and is badly needed from what I reading. But my heart says after the new coverage fades away we will forget about them. What worst the hardest hit was the poor and many Americas do not really care about them in the first place even before this disaster hit. As I write this I cannot help thinking about the kids that were going to start school soon. Were are they going to go? Will they even have cloths to go to school? The only chance a child living in poverty, to get out of poverty is by going to school and that has been taken away from them. frown

Sorry to sound depressed, but that is how I feel.

Bill

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 27 28 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments