Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#79478 - 07/08/05 01:19 PM MadridMan, a Problem with Search.
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
MadridMan

I would have sent an email about this problem, but I am right now at work and I will probably when I get how forget to bring this to your attention.

I tried doing a search on Barcelona in the Hostels & Other Lodging forum and it returned only 200 messages. The latest messages returned were from 2002. So I did a search on Madrid and it only returned only 200 messages and the latest were from 2002.

I remember doing a few searchs on Madrid and Sevilla in December 2004 for hotel recommendations and it returned over 400 messages and it contained messages from 2003 and 2004.

Is there a problem or is it me?

Bill

#79479 - 07/08/05 03:04 PM Re: MadridMan, a Problem with Search.
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi there! Thanks VERY much for your message.

Someone else emailed me about this issue and I'll tell you what I told them;

The message board is HUGE! There is SO much information contained therein and the search function yields a maximum of 200 results and is sorted from oldest to newest. Invariably, with broad search keywords like "Barcelona" or "Madrid" in the "Hostels & Other Lodgings" the search results are enormous and therefore you're results are MANY and OLD. This is a function of the message board software that I cannot change in its current version - now several years old. It seems with the newest version you can change/sort the search results but... here's the dig.... The total price for a new software license PLUS "professional installation" costs several hundred of dollars. I've put-off this expenditure for obvious reasons but imagine the day will come that we can't function efficiently without the upgrade. rolleyes

For the time being I would recommend using more specific keywords to narrow the search results. Try something like, "Hostal Barcelona Ramblas" for example.

I appreciate your comments and, well, we'll have to live with this as it is for now. Sorry!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#79480 - 07/08/05 04:07 PM Re: MadridMan, a Problem with Search.
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Thanks for the information and will try what you recommended.

I guess being popular does have a price!

Bill

#79481 - 07/09/05 06:35 PM Re: MadridMan, a Problem with Search.
DJC Offline

Loc: Texas
Maybe this has been discussed before, but why can't you give an address and board users who want to could send a contribution to help with the costs? It would be a small price for the enjoyment people get from the message board, and totally voluntary.

#79482 - 07/09/05 07:51 PM Re: MadridMan, a Problem with Search.
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Nah. But thanks, DJC. I don't believe in soliciting donations for MadridMan.com. It's so... cheesey and definitely changes the flavor of the website when you do. But thanks for the comment/suggestion. I'll upgrade it someday in the next year, I'm sure.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#79483 - 07/09/05 08:40 PM Re: MadridMan, a Problem with Search.
DJC Offline

Loc: Texas
That's sure your call to make, but it seems to me that there is a BIG difference between soliciting and accepting.

#79484 - 07/09/05 09:11 PM Re: MadridMan, a Problem with Search.
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

DJC, I think they both evoke the same kind of feeling/sensation in the minds of the viewer. When I surf upon a site which has a DONATE button or a graphic which says "Please Support XYZ.com!" I feel like the website owner is soliciting even though clicking the DONATE button/option is totally voluntary.

But really, I do appreciate your input. Maybe we can start 2006 with the newest upgrade to the message board software. Let's see. It'd be a nice suprise for everyone and a nice GIFT to all our members, thanking THEM for making our little message board what it has become. smile

Saludos, MadridMan

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments