MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#79257 - 04/28/05 10:27 PM "Ser gringo en MEXICO"
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
This week we had a visit by Greg Berger, an American filmmaker living in Mexico, who has done a documentary called Gringo-thon. It is now on the internet, so I thought I would share it with you all. It is very well done! Touching and yet funny at times. If you would like to see if, scroll down when you get to the website

#79258 - 04/29/05 08:17 PM Re: "Ser gringo en MEXICO"
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Since that film was made in 2003 GWB has gone to the court of public opinion and prevailed with a wide majority. If I were that man and being an American I would be cautious about making remarks about going to "take out the President" and other remarks that he commited to the film. He could find himself in a world of hurt. Also the Mexicans did not seem to feel any high degree of support as he was not raking in the cash that he had thought he would, 500 pesos is a little less than $5.00. :p :p

#79259 - 04/29/05 10:49 PM Re: "Ser gringo en MEXICO"
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Wow. It IS done suprisingly well. Very professional and definitely interesting. Thanks for sharing that link, esperanza. smile I particularly appreciated how he repeated the-cause was non-violent and was only seeking justice. I guess the $44 US he made won't topple any governments. hehehe...

I wonder if he's still living in Mexico City, Ciudad de México, D.F.. Must be a difficult life there in many ways INCLUDING being a gringo.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#79260 - 05/16/05 03:06 PM Re: "Ser gringo en MEXICO"
Pia Offline

Loc: Finland
I enjoyed it, especially as I'll be living in Mexico (1,5h south of Mexico City) for six months starting late December, and I've been trying to watch everything filmed in Mexico City that I've gotten my hands on. Do you have any tips for similar downloadable stuff?

#79261 - 05/16/05 03:45 PM Re: "Ser gringo en MEXICO"
jabch Offline

This is a side comment about currency exchange. The Mexican currency is very cheap compared to the American dollar, but 500 pesos is not exactly 5 dollars as said above. It is more like 50 dollars. The actual rate is more like 1 dollar for 11 pesos right now. However, this does not mean that Mexico is 11 times cheaper than the U.S., the rural areas are probably very cheap, but living in a large city can be very expensive, especially if you have a family to support. For example, I know of a person that is employed by a large corporation in Mexico City and makes around $7,000.00 USD per month. However, he says there is not much left when his employer holds almost 40% of his salary as taxes for the government; also he pays an expensive private health and life insurance every month, and pays a high price for decent education for his kids and for housing in a safer area of the city.

#79262 - 05/16/05 04:13 PM Re: "Ser gringo en MEXICO"
jabch Offline

I forgot to mention that obviously that kind of salary is not common in big cities, as a developing country Mexico is a country of extremes, 50% of the population is poor, about 35% belongs to the middle class and the other 15% are really rich.

Pia: Some movies, especially American, show you an exaggerated version of what it is to live in Mexico. Movies like Mexican with Julia Robert and Brad Pitt depict life in Mexico appropriate of revolution times. Your average Mexican does not carry a gun, does not dress in traditional Mexican attire or rides a donkey or horse, which I suppose must be disappointing for some tourists. Most Mexicans work for very low wages, live in subsidized small houses, and spend a lot of time watching soccer games on TV while drinking a corona with friends and family. Social life is big there.

#79263 - 05/17/05 10:39 AM Re: "Ser gringo en MEXICO"
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Pia: If you really want to get a feel of life in Mexico, come to Arizona, California, or Texas and talk to the Mexican people that have left. Better still let me take you to the desert when the temp is about 50C and watch them crossing with only the clothes on their back and 4 liters of water that they bought with them. There was an article in last Sunday's Arizona Republic that told of the thousands that have left the area that you mention, to get to the US. If you want to read it go to WWW.arizonarepublic.com and bring up the May 15 2005 edition and there are interviews with actual residents of the region you are going to.

Interesting to note one person posted that he knew of someone earning $7000 USD per month, then goes on to point out that his friend pays 40% in taxes, still has to pay for private health insurance, life insurance, and then still more for his children to go to a good school. This brings his tax base up to 50 or 60%. Where is that 40% going? Possibly in the pocket of some corrupt Mexican officals?

I personally investigated the possibility of opening a cabinet shop in Mexico as a branch of one of my businesses here in Arizona. The "taxes" and pay off to the "inspectors" was going to be prohibitive. Yet the public services for those people is such a low quality, where is the money going? Almost 30% of the cost of home construction is "fees" and "inspection charges." mad

Mexico, nice place to visit, might spend some time there when I retire, would not want to work there, or do business there. wink

#79264 - 05/17/05 11:02 AM Re: "Ser gringo en MEXICO"
Pia Offline

Desert dweller, isn't it pretty unnecessary to come all the way from Northern Europe to Arizona to talk to Mexicans that have left the country when I am actually going there for 6 months to try to get to know the people that are left? smile I know that movies usually exaggerate and show stereotypes, and that's why I've been trying to watch Mexican movies such as Amores Perros (and with Gael García Bernal in them, it's not exactly unpleasant laugh ). I was looking more for (preferrably downloadable) documentaries etc, like this one.

#79265 - 05/17/05 11:44 AM Re: "Ser gringo en MEXICO"
jabch Offline

Pia: you are going to love Mexico. I suggest that in addition to the place you will live at in Mexico, you also consider visiting the following places (however, remember that Mexico is probably 2 1/2 times the size of a country like Spain):

North: Go by train from Chihuahua City to the town of Creel to visit the Copper Canyon

Gulf of Mexico: Visit the City of Veracruz and the town of Catemaco

Central Mexico: The Pyramids of the Sun and the Moon in the State of Mexico; Mexico City also has some really nice areas like Polanco, Chapultepec, Ave. Insurgentes, the old Basilica, etc; the City of Puebla (just 1 ½ from Mexico City, look for crafts and traditional candy there).

Central-North: the cities of Guanajuato (very bohemian and artistic), San Miguel de Allende and Queretaro (beautiful little plazas and tons of churches).

Southern-Mexico: Oaxaca (a great example of Colonial art mixed with native art), Chiapas (beautiful scenery), and Merida (very unique food).

Occident: The City of Guadalajara in the State of Jalisco (where Mariachi music and tequila are from).

As to tourist areas: Acapulco (close to Mexico City), Los Cabos (in north-Mexico), Cancun, Isla Mujeres, Cozumel, and Huatulco in the very south. Puerto Vallarta on the
Pacific (closer large city is Guadalajara).

And there's much more, but if you get to most of those places you will get a good understanding of the different foods, traditions, folklore, and lifestyles in the different states of Mexico. If you have to choose between one area and the other, I will definitely go central and south Mexico, I personally think it is more charming.

Buena suerte! wink

#79266 - 05/17/05 12:14 PM Re: "Ser gringo en MEXICO"
Pia Offline

Gracias, and thank you so much for the tips although I already had a problem with wanting to go everywhere after making the huge mistake of buying the Lonely Planet guide to Mexico smile . I definitely want to travel a lot, especially as even the university home page said that almost everyone at the university are from the upper classes and "the setting is more like Beverly Hills 90210" ( laugh ) and that's definitively not all I want to see of the country.

I'm flying over after christmas and spending New Year's with my Mexican friend's family, then moving on to Cuernavaca where the university is to find an apartment.

At the moment my biggest concern is how to blend in: I'm blonde with blue eyes and given how much attention it draws in a country as close as Spain, I'm considering dyeing my hair and buying brown contact lenses smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2656 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments