Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#78861 - 11/15/04 04:20 PM Powell stepping down
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
I was afraid this was coming. Bush is losing what I consider the best man in his cabinet/administration. Rice will not be a solid replacement if that's the direction Bush goes.

There are few people that can hold a candle to Powell when it comes to being a leader.

http://home.peoplepc.com/psp/newsstory.asp?cat=news&referrer=welcome&id=D86CGPF00_story.xml

It's too bad Powell is 67. He will probably be too old to run for the Presidency in 2008. That's a shame. I would have voted for this man in a heartbeat, and hit the campaign trail for him.

Wolf

#78862 - 11/15/04 04:35 PM Re: Powell stepping down
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Wolf -
Agreed! Colin Powell has consistently been a man of integrity and intelligence. I admire him immensely.

Is there any chance that John McCain might be put into the role? He is possibly the only mitigating influence to the "Christian right" that is left in the Republican party. Plus, in MHO, McCain is also a man of integrity and honesty - if you have to loose one - you might as well get one.

#78863 - 11/15/04 05:02 PM Re: Powell stepping down
Wolf Offline

Puna,

I don't think he'd accept the position to be honest. He wouldn't fit in with the non-military backgrounds of the people who will hold the other key positions.

I certainly wish Bush would try to find a responsible person who has a military background to hold this key position, but I'm afraid Rice will get the job. That's too bad, because I think he needs someone around who will be the voice of reason when it comes to military matters. Powell was just that type, as most would attest.

Wolf

#78864 - 11/15/04 05:48 PM Re: Powell stepping down
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
How right you are, Wolf. He was the perfect man for the job. He will be missed. One forgets that these jobs are grueling and that these folks deserve a life. At 67 he may want to spend more time with his wife and family. He certainly has had a long career serving our country, he deserves a rest.

This makes six changes in the cabinet, although, if I'm not mistaken, 7 cabinet members resigned when President Clinton began his second term. So this is usual.

What makes you think that Rice will be appointed for the job? She is a brilliant woman and also well respecterd. I think she is the type of individual that rises to the challenge and will do a great job.

#78865 - 11/15/04 06:16 PM Re: Powell stepping down
Wolf Offline

Bookie,

Rice offers a couple of things that will make her a quick fix. A female, and African-American. Any opposition to her being appointed will play as being racist and anti-feminist. It will also play well for the 2006 "tweener elections," and exceptionally well by 2008.

She's a perfect fit since she's solidly in the Bush corner for the next four years as far as policy.

Whether or not that's good for us as a nation, or will play out well in international affairs, I'm not certain, but I don't have the confidence in her that I would in Powell or someone like McCain.

I also wonder if Rice isn't going to be positioned for a possible VP nomination in either 2008 or 2012. Right now she seems to be exactly what the doctor ordered if you're a Republican looking for swing votes.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Wolf

#78866 - 11/15/04 11:07 PM Re: Powell stepping down
ebetancourt Offline

Loc: Tennessee
For what it's worth, my opinion is that intelligence and not military experience is what we need at State in this era. I don't think that Bush could make a better choice than Rice at the present time.

I will admit that I am one of the 60 million idiots that voted for Bush because I believe that we are at war and will remain so for many years.

ernie

#78867 - 11/16/04 06:55 AM Re: Powell stepping down
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Call me anti-feminist, if you like: I don't see Dr. Condoleezza Rice as the person I'd choose to represent the U.S. in International Diplomacy.

My opinion is partially based on the way other countries: North Korea, Conservative Islamic countries, and several African Countries, for example, accept women in dominant roles. Sure, Colin Powell's predecessor was Madeline Albright; but I don't think Dr. Rice is as knowledgeable in International affairs as were Albright or Powell.

Condi Rice's expertise, area of Concentration in her Doctoral Program and the subject of her Doctoral Dissertation were all in Russian/Soviet Affairs. In the 'post 9/11' world, that's no longer relevant!

#78868 - 11/16/04 07:07 AM Re: Powell stepping down
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Eddie,

"My opinion is partially based on the way other countries: North Korea, Conservative Islamic countries, and several African Countries, for example, accept women in dominant roles."

That's rather unfair! eek frown

#78869 - 11/16/04 09:01 AM Re: Powell stepping down
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Quote:
Sure, Colin Powell's predecessor was Madeline Albright; but I don't think Dr. Rice is as knowledgeable in International affairs as were Albright or Powell.
and that, Eddie, is the understatement of the year!

Madeline Albright was (is) a brilliant strategist and diplomat plus an extremely well-respected figure on the international level; Colin Powell both earned and maintained the same admiration - especially on the international level.

I'm afraid that international and diplomatic respect has not been earned by the tentative appointee ...

#78870 - 11/16/04 10:31 AM Re: Powell stepping down
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
In reference to my opinion on how Dr. Rice may be accepted by certain Powers Pim writes:
Quote:
That's rather unfair!
Fairness was Not among the parameters I consideed as I formulated my opinion!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2594 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments