Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11 >
Topic Options
#78629 - 11/01/04 08:53 AM Re: Florida ballots - they did it again!!!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
I'm sure many of you have heard/read reference to this - but an offshoot - or subsidiary of the Annenberg Foundation (a 100% non-politcal organization - even if I spelled it incorrectly) has come up with something like 35 possible scenarios of how the vote could go; including a dead even split within the elctoral college - i.e, Chaney would cast the final vote.

None of this reflects the actual vote of those voting - would someone please explain to me why the legitimacy of the electoral college could not be put to the voters? Yes, in 1700's it made sense - we are now in the 21st century and, IMO, the elctoral college per se negates the one man - one vote heart and core of the constitution,

Please - no lectures - nor am I trying to start an ideological arguement - I'm seriously asking for facts and logic as to what it would take and how it could be implemented to dispense w/ the electoral college and implement a true one person = one vote situation.

#78630 - 11/01/04 09:01 AM Re: Florida ballots - they did it again!!!
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Wolf, you were right about Florida thus far.

According to the Washinton Times the candidates are head-to head in the six contested states, with Florida and Ohio right now going to Kerry:

Quote:
[QUOTE]Washington, DC, Nov. 1 (UPI) -- President George W. Bush and Democratic Sen. John Kerry were neck and neck in six major battleground states, a weekend CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll found.
In the battleground state polls, only in Wisconsin and Minnesota did a survey indicate a clear advantage to one candidate, given the poll's 3-point margin of error.

Bush led by eight points in Wisconsin, and Kerry led by eight points in Minnesota.

In the other states, Bush had leads of two points in Iowa and four points in Pennsylvania. Kerry had leads of three points in Florida and four points in Ohio.

About 1,300 registered voters were interviewed from late last week through Sunday in each state, of whom about 1,100 in each indicated they were likely to vote in the election.

Nationwide, a separate poll of likely voters indicated a near-tie, with 49 percent choosing Bush and 47 percent taking Kerry. Independent candidate Ralph Nader had one percent support.

In the history of polling, Gallup has never come out with a tied race in its final pre-election estimate, CNN reported.

http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20041101-061243-3628r.htm

What I have found interesting in watching these polls over the last four to five weeks is that while Bush's statistics tend to go down by a few points, Kerry's does not go up by the same amount of points. Leads me to think that among the possibilities is that these folks may end up voting for a third party candidate, i.e. Libertarian; or, worse, these folks just are not going to make up their minds and likely end up not voting.

According to the political pundits, it will be likely that this election will have the most numbers of voters showing up at the polls! That's a wonderful development. smile

Either way, if the election remains statistically even, it seems unlikely that a clear winner will be announced; the thousands of lawyers that both parties have hired will see to that.

In my county, the supervisor of elections and the election Board, all democrats, have hired court reporters to take down all transactions at all polling centers!!! eek

#78631 - 11/01/04 09:46 AM Re: Florida ballots - they did it again!!!
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Puna,

Some of us think that people were smarter back in the 1700's. They certainly didn't have to suffer our sorry excuse for an education system. The writings of our founding fathers are profound compared to political statements made by any side today.

Oh my gosh. Would you really want the current political leaders of today messing with the constitution? eek I don't even want my side changing the constitution.

#78632 - 11/01/04 02:11 PM Re: Florida ballots - they did it again!!!
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Puna: You and I don't aggree on much, but on the issue of the Electoral College like you I think it is something that has out lived it's usfulness. I also agree that I would not any of the current Washington "insiders" tampering with the constitution. I am one of many that feels there are many changes that should be made to the constitution as it stands now.

#78633 - 11/03/04 12:10 AM Re: Florida ballots - they did it again!!!
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Wolf, it looks like Florida has gone to President Bush!!

http://enight.dos.state.fl.us/20041102_DET_PRE.html

County % Reporting 95.3%
Bush Cheney 3,514,112 = 51.7%
Kerry Edwards 3,222,685 = 47.4%

The others...
Peroutka Baldwin 6,138
Badnarik Campagna 10,938
Cobb LaMarche 3,669
Harris Trowe 2,619
Brown Herbert 3,372
Nader Camejo 29,919
----
The Republicans are claiming that about 100,000 or so ballotts are still outstanding in Dade/Broward and Palm Beach counties.

Also the ACLU is forcing the Superintendent of Elections in Broward county to send out the 5,000 ballots that were not sent out properly.

---
Regardless, its a clear Bush win in Florida!

#78634 - 11/03/04 12:28 AM Re: Florida ballots - they did it again!!!
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
I couldn't be happier with the way this is going. I am sure that one of the most depressed men on earth right now is Chirac, even more than Kerry. I have been known to refer to him, Zapatero, and Shroder as Europe's Three Stooges.

Keep going Jr. Your doing real good.

#78635 - 11/03/04 01:28 AM Re: Florida ballots - they did it again!!!
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Desert,it looks like Jurnior will win after all. Fox News called Ohio for Bush, and since CNN called Alaska for Bush the number is 269. Bush needs one more electoral vote to win!

#78636 - 11/03/04 01:53 AM Re: Florida ballots - they did it again!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Desert Dweller:

I dont know why CHirac should be depressed. The fact that Bush was elected would be just bad for USA-EU relationships, which is bad for Chirac and the EU(up to a point) and is bad for Bush and the USA (up to a point).

For example, you cannot hope for any substantial finantial EU help in Irak (specially since Blair, unlike Bush, wont make it again), while Kerry's dialogant (towards "allies") attitude would have given him support. Keep on summing deficit!

#78637 - 11/03/04 05:04 AM Re: Florida ballots - they did it again!!!
Cristobo Carrín Offline

Loc: Asturias
I`m with Desert Dweller. I am happy that Bush won the elections. I can`t explain it properly, but It`s something like "Let`s finish what we have started". Instead of a dull, flat personality like that of Kerry, let`s have four more years of excitement and fun with G.W.Bush and his gallery of hawkish freaks. Irak is not enough, let`s go for Iran! Chop down the sequoias and pump the hell out of Alaska! The greenhouse effect is an urban legend, and so it is the oil crisis! Give war a chance!!
As Fred Reed put it (he is my guru, at www.fredoneverything.net), it is not worth worrying about anything, just lie down, relax, watch the final collapse of civilization and enjoy the show.
We are going to have a great time. I am very happy to be living these times...

#78638 - 11/03/04 05:25 AM Re: Florida ballots - they did it again!!!
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Bookie,

I'm really surprised about Florida to be honest. I believed that it would go to Kerry. At least, for the sake of the Florida electorate, it's a clear cut majority so there won't be any questions.

The same actually applies to Ohio, and the fact that Kerry is "hanging on," waiting for the final tally isn't going to change the fact that Bush has won the majority of votes there as well.

Like it or not, we have Bush for four more years. Now it's time for everyone to rally behind him and hope that he makes the right decisions.

Since it doesn't appear that the Republicans will have 60 seats in the Senate, there's at least a "watch dog" group still around in DC to at least make waves when they are needed.

What I wonder most is if the allegations and charges made during this campaign are going to leave both parties totally at outs with each other, and create an even worse political climate in DC than we've seen. That would be very discouraging.

Wolf

Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2080 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments