Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#77954 - 06/03/04 09:17 PM Athens 2004 Olympics: Where/How to buy tickets in the USA??
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I've been going around in circles trying to find out HOW I, in the USA, can POSSIBLY purchase tickets for some of the track and field events for the Athens 2004 Olympics.

After going to the Official Athens Olympic Website @ http://www.Athens2004.com and then going to the ticketing website (figures Ticketmaster would be involved. Hmph. rolleyes ), it states:
Quote:
NEW CUSTOMERS

Residents of Greece, the EU or EEA can create an account on this website, and start shopping for tickets immediately.

Residents of all other countries cannot order tickets on this website. Please contact your National Olympic Committee to enquire if a ticketing service is available,
So I go to the National Olympic Committee website and as far as I can see there is NO information on HOW US citizens can buy tickets to the 2004 Athens Olympics, only how EU and EEA (what is this?) member states can buy them.

ANYONE???? confused I'd LOVE to explore the possibility of taking my mom (another BIG track and field fan) to our first (and probably only opportunity to see the) Olympic games.

The sooner I find out if it's possible the better, of course. Thanks!!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#77955 - 06/03/04 09:45 PM Re: Athens 2004 Olympics: Where/How to buy tickets in the USA??
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Goodness,MadridMan! You need a Librarian!!!

Contact Cartan Tours Cartan has been appointed by the United States Olympic Committee as the authorized ticket and travel source for the Athens 2004 Olympic Games. Bringing the Olympics back to it's origin, the company is developing an extensive series of travel programs for travel to Greece in conjunction with this historic event.

Or,

You can call the:
U.S. Olympic Committee Media and Public Relations (719-866-4529)

Or,
Try the Three Chings Online Ticket Sales here at this site which was advertised in the Chicago Sun Times,
And you better hurry, because I read that some events are selling out fast!!!!
---
Quote:

Athens still building it, but they will come

June 3, 2004

BY ELLIOTT HARRIS SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

After a major push by Olympic organizers to unload all the tickets that have not yet been sold, the Athens Olympics will have more sold-out venues than they will have failed drug tests.

*White Sox closer Billy Koch will not blow a save until Friday, at the earliest.

*http://www.suntimes.com/output/quickhits/cst-spt-1hit03.html
Or,
If that fails, the participants would know where you can buy them and as luck would have it Blaine Wilson a Gymnast from Columbus, Ohio:
(June 1) Blaine Wilson (Columbus, Ohio) makes his much anticipated return to competition at the 2004 Visa U.S. Gymnastics Championships, June 2, just 13 weeks and one day after surgery to reattach the tendon in his left bicep. For more information, log on to http://www.usa-gymnastics.org.

Good Luck!! smile
Booklady

#77956 - 06/04/04 05:15 AM Re: Athens 2004 Olympics: Where/How to buy tickets in the USA??
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Thanks, Booklady! I'll look into those links!

With appreciation, MadridMan smile

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#77957 - 06/11/04 10:37 AM Re: Athens 2004 Olympics: Where/How to buy tickets in the USA??
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

According to today's USATODAY.com article HERE :

Quote:
Prices for lodging in Athens, moreover, are sky-high, as is airfare to get to the city from the USA. That pushes the total cost of a trip to as much as $1,000 a day.

"Accommodations are very expensive," Dizdarevic acknowledges, noting that the cheapest, two-star hotels for sale at CoSport Tours start at nearly $300 a night, with a three-night minimum, and better properties are $700 or more.
...and
Quote:
Typical package (of those still available): Six nights lodging aboard Holland America's Westerdam (used as a floating hotel), round-trip air between New York and Athens and all meals, not including event tickets, $7,689 a person, through Cartan Tours
Ugh... Soooo.. doesn't look like we'll be making it to THIS olympics either. rolleyes And IF (and it's a HUGE "IF"!) Madrid wins the Olympics for 2012 my mom will already be about 70 years old - not a good time to be in Madrid in the summertime heat for hours upon hours for the older folks. What a shame. I was truly HOPING it could be possible. I did a flight search for some dates and there were NO flights available - at any price! Looks like the tour companies have bought them all to package them with hotels. And at the above expected prices it's just TOO expensive for me/us. Oh well.

Sadly, MadridMan

#77958 - 06/11/04 02:37 PM Re: Athens 2004 Olympics: Where/How to buy tickets in the USA??
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
I am going to assume, MM, that you have considered staying outside of Athens, maybe on a commuter island and have considered flying in to a country other than Greece? Just trying to think outside the box here!

#77959 - 06/11/04 02:45 PM Re: Athens 2004 Olympics: Where/How to buy tickets in the USA??
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hi la maestra! Thanks for "thinking outside of the box". I always appreciate those suggestions. Still, I'd think we'd have to fly into Athens (I imagine) to which there seem to be no flights. Where else could we fly into if not Athens? Maybe to Turkey and take a shuttle boat? (I think that shuttle is about a 8-10-hour ride)

Plus, "commuting" in from our potential hotel outside of Athens would (I'd imagine) add 2+ hours to an already long day. That IS a good suggestion though.

Any other (bright) ideas? wink smile They're much appreciated.

Saludos, MadridMan

#77960 - 06/11/04 03:01 PM Re: Athens 2004 Olympics: Where/How to buy tickets in the USA??
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Maybe Turkey, maybe there is another city in Greece that has an international airport...fly into Italy and take a commuter-type flight? I wondered about Aegina, since it is so very close to the mainland. The Flying Dolphin cuts the time considerably, and if you're talking about just one or two times and a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity it may be worth it.

#77961 - 06/11/04 07:01 PM Re: Athens 2004 Olympics: Where/How to buy tickets in the USA??
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Yes. Well. It will likely be a once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing but without direct flights, more transportation time/costs, etcetera, the pricetag COULD get up to $9,000/person for 6 or 7 days. Maybe even more after adding the event ticket prices. My goodness. What a shame. IF ONLY I knew someone THERE who would be wiling to house us. rolleyes

Saludos, MadridMan

#77962 - 06/11/04 08:53 PM Re: Athens 2004 Olympics: Where/How to buy tickets in the USA??
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Wow, Madridman, how disappointing. I did a search for "outside the box" housing and found this bit of info that may be helpful.

Quote:

Olympics 2004 | Accommodations & Dining

Accommodations--Virtually all the better hotels in and around Athens, as well as some in Olympia itself, have long ago been completely booked for the entire period of the Games. (In case you're wondering who these "insiders" are, most of these rooms were taken over by the Greek National Organizing Committee for officials, visiting dignitaries, and other national committees, and by corporate sponsors for their own promotional use.)

Prices are expected to vary considerably. Hotels are going to exploit the law of supply and demand to the utmost and are said to be charging 2 to 4 times their regular rates. Thus, a basic hotel that might be expected to charge some 100€ for a double will probably charge 250€ or more for the same during the Olympics. There is nothing illegal about this -- and it goes on during all Olympics. No one ever said you can't combine free enterprise with the Olympic spirit!

In addition to exploring the options listed below, international visitors should contact their country's National Olympic committee for the name of the officially appointed tour operator(s) responsible for ticket sales and package tours to the Games. The authorized travel agency for the U.S. Olympic Committee for the 2004 Olympics, for instance, is Cartan Tours, Inc. (tel. 800/360-2004; www.cartan.com) and they can provide accommodations as well as other transportation services (as well as insurance for cancellation as a result of terrorism).

The Greeks confronted a challenge of a drastic surge in visitors requiring accommodations. The existing Greek hotel operators protested that if a lot of new hotels were built -- especially with any form of government subsidies -- they would lose their chance to make a bit of extra money; meanwhile, it was recognized that if they built all these new hotels, there would be a glut of rooms immediately following the Olympics and everyone would suffer with the collapse in prices. Being a relatively small country, hotels in cities outside Athens also have taken up a share of the trade: many popular tourist destinations lie within a two hour drive of Athens. But that still seemed to leave a shortage of rooms during the peak days.

To take some of the pressure off the hotels and prices, the Greeks have come up with two solutions. One is used by many if not all host cities: many Greeks in Athens are renting their apartments or homes. This program is being operated by two organizations in Athens: Alpha Philoxenia 2004 (tel. 210/326-6156; fax 210/326-6148; cpallis@alphaastikaakinita.gr) and Elliniki Philoxenia (tel. 210/684-9222; fax 210/684-9221; gmantzavinatos@eurobank.gr). These apartments and houses are scheduled to be inspected by the organizers and all should offer minimum standards for amenities (bathroom, kitchen, and so on). Prices range from about 100€ to 200€ per night per person (depending on the quality of the accommodations and the distance from venues and public transportation) and must be rented for minimum periods -- what the agents refer to as "waves," usually 6 or 7 nights. (Cleaning service will be provided about every 3 days.) There may also be a "black market" in apartments and homes for rent, but we cannot advise you on how to deal with this.

The other solution to the housing shortage is what might be called "Odyssean" -- that is, a canny Greek nautical one: seven large luxury cruise ships have been leased to berth at the port of Piraeus, some 8km (5 miles) from the heart of Athens. Cabins at various price levels are available, and in addition to providing meals (for extra charge) and free public transportation to the venues, the ships will be opening all their facilities (including swimming pools, exercise rooms, etc.). Cabins range from 450€ to 1,410€ per person (double occupancy) per night -- but minimum 4 nights stay is required. To learn more about these ships, contact one or more of the three lines offering these accommodations: info@cma-greece.gr; sportius@otenet.gr; sales@roc.gr. In addition, the brand new Queen Mary 2 is scheduled to berth at Piraeus and make its magnificent new facilities available; its status was still somewhat uncertain at the time of this update and there was no specific contact point. Travel agents will know of this possibility, and you can be sure it will be very expensive
frown

#77963 - 06/17/04 08:27 AM Re: Athens 2004 Olympics: Where/How to buy tickets in the USA??
Dimitris Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece (ex-Barcelona a...
Hola a todos,

I have recently moved from Barcelona to Athens, and I have also bought some Olympics tickets, so maybe I can help.

Two weeks ago a friend booked a British Airways flight from London to Athens during the Olympics at a reasonable price, so it is worth checking BA out. Easyjet also had some reasonable prices.

EEA is the European Economic Area that includes the 25 EU states plus Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

As for accommodation, I don't have any tangible information handy, but I suspect there must plenty of unbooked rooms around.

Dimitris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2603 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments