Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#77815 - 03/20/04 08:01 PM Re: why join MM's message board?
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
MadridMan,

Yes, it isn't listed as the Madrid board. I was just referring to why you started the site. Not intended as an insult, but as a pat on the back.

I totally agree with la Maestra. You deserve any accolades you can get. But that still doesn't mean I'll always agree with you. People are still allowed to have differences of opinion, and it would be a lousy world if we couldn't voice them.

Wolf

#77816 - 03/20/04 08:33 PM Re: why join MM's message board?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Wolf, you and many many of our other "regulars" (and many of our newer members) are the brilliant "points of light" on our message board.

Thanks, all. Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#77817 - 03/20/04 10:55 PM Re: why join MM's message board?
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
Thank you La Maestra and thank you Wolf. Wolf, I don't often agree with you (politically), but you are right on with your posts in these threads. And yes, MM is right. You are an example of respectful political discussion.

#77818 - 03/21/04 01:11 AM Re: why join MM's message board?
Kevin Offline

Loc: Augusta, Georgia
...and Cardiff by the Sea CA, and anyone else that thinks the same, needs to get a few more skills in comprehension before trying to attack me. My first, second, and a few more were showing sympathy to the Spanish people. Hell, a few more were bashing Americans for calling the Spanish cowards. However, I DID get political when Americans on here said that Bush was to blame.

Guess you didn't see that, did you Cardiff by the Sea CA. Uh huh, didn't think so.

Sit down.
"Neither the United States of America nor the world community of nations can tolerate deliberate deception and offensive threats on the part of any nation, large or small. We no longer live in a world where only the actual firing of weapons represents a sufficient challenge to a nation's security"
-- President John F. Kennedy during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty."
-- President John F. Kennedy

Democrats, why the change?

#77819 - 03/21/04 10:57 AM Re: why join MM's message board?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

But Kevin, YOU haven't mentioned in this thread why YOU joined our message board.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#77820 - 03/21/04 06:36 PM Re: why join MM's message board?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
MadridMan: My hat off smile

I think this site and this BBS is getting into one of the best embassies Spain has all over the world.

But I'll say more: The spaniards who usually read this forum have a wider understanding of USA. I can argue myself with anyone about USA with a knowledge I have acquired here.

And frankly, as a spaniard I don't care if one of a twenty does Spain bashing. There are spaniards who do just the opposite: US bashing. We should ignore posters who don't argue their opinions maturely.

My gratitude for this incredible site and its administrator.

Fernando

#77821 - 03/23/04 09:42 PM Re: why join MM's message board?
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
I just want to recall a couple of ideas of our boardmembers:
- The agresiveness of some shouldn't fade the rest of voices, specially of the spaniards which have to deal/fight with the issue of discussing complex issues with a limited (at least in my case)lenguage capabilities.

- I agree that probably the best policy is just do not answering to anybody who is not in the game of engaging others in an articulate and respectful multicultural debate.

Once the political trend is open and sometime has passed we will be able present oppinions and some facts. "La vida da tantas vueltas..." We may even see Zapatero "realigning" politics with the US..."Cosas mas raras han pasado".

Let's start relaxing and adding humour. It's not incompatible with spirit and determination....

Terrorism wins when they make change your life and tend to think that we all want the climate of "our" board.

Thank you for listening and thanks to you MM

#77822 - 04/12/04 03:24 PM Re: why join MM's message board?
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
A few observations:

1)In my opinion, this site, and this board are perhaps the BEST thing I have seen on the Internet, bar none. It is ALIVE. Alive because it fosters civilized debate and different opinions, while gently moderating the more abusive into more mannerly ways of expressing themselves, or, if necessary, banning them. This is MM's right. It is HIS site, his board. HE pays for it, doesn't ask any fees for its members.

2)I have the honor of personally knowing MM, albiet too briefly. To question his patriotism on such spurious and bigoted grounds only reflects badly on the author, not MM. It is this type of basically fascist viewpoints which have made me reluctant to return to the US until more liberal persons are in charge. If you question my patriotism, I have made my point, and I feel made it quite forcefully on another post. Sufficient to say I am ex-military and have paid my dues.

3) Much of Europe, and 95% of the Spanish are against the unilateral bully-boy tactics of the Bush administration in world affairs. The Europeans know only too well where such blind obiedience leads. Apparently many Americans from the US (people living in Canada, Mexico, Central and South America are "Americans" too, you know), including the current "president," have no knowledge of history, or geography for that matter. Just because you are from the US does not make you infallible.

4) Is Pat (?) anti-democratic? Apparently, because he cannot accept that the people of Spain ELECTED Zapatero, and not Aznar-clone Rajoy. Oh, I forgot. . . the Republicans in the US don't bother to worry about such minor details as counting votes, they just use a stacked Supreme Court to do their dirty work. Maybe the US could take a lesson in democracy from Spain!?

5) You are entitled to your views. But please, next time, engage your brain before you pound the keyboard. And remember, it is in very poor taste to stupidly insult your host!

6) As for me, I took Spiro Agnew's advice, I flat out LEFT the country, because I could not LOVE WHAT IS GOING ON IN IT. I may or may not return, but that is MY decision. Meanwhile I will work for a more pluralistic and intelligent debate and a government which represents all the people, conservative and liberal, and those in-between and on the fringes.

#77823 - 04/12/04 05:45 PM Re: why join MM's message board?
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Martin,

Spiro Agnew? Oh! The Vice President of the United States who had to resign because he was taking bribes. I remember him well. I certainly wouldn't be taking his advice on anything under the circumstances.

You talk about fair minded, unbiased statements and then you say this in the text of your post.

Quote:
3) Much of Europe, and 95% of the Spanish are against the unilateral bully-boy tactics of the Bush administration in world affairs.
Apparently you don't live by what you preach. Then you added;

Quote:
4) Is Pat (?) anti-democratic? Apparently, because he cannot accept that the people of Spain ELECTED Zapatero, and not Aznar-clone Rajoy. Oh, I forgot. . . the Republicans in the US don't bother to worry about such minor details as counting votes, they just use a stacked Supreme Court to do their dirty work. Maybe the US could take a lesson in democracy from Spain!?
I got a kick out of the reference to the "right wing" news media of the US. The funny part is, in the US, most people believe our media is "left wing oriented" I dare say not right wing.

But since some people are bashing the US in the name of not bashing, be my guest. I'll just sit back and laugh at the hypocrisy of it.

Wolf

#77824 - 04/12/04 06:37 PM Re: why join MM's message board?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Good question....:
Quote:
why join MM's message board?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments