MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#77707 - 02/14/04 05:31 PM Digital cameras
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
I'm thinking of buying a digital camera but I don't know which one to choose.

Any suggestions on brands, models,...?

#77708 - 02/14/04 06:06 PM Re: Digital cameras
writejudi Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Hi, Antonio. I recently bought a digital camera after doing quite a lot of research. I ended up getting the Minolta Dimage Z1, primarily because it has a 10X zoom, which is great for travel and portraits. It also didn't cost a fortune.

It's not one of those very small, flat cameras; it's about the size of a normal 35 mm, but it feels very comfortable in my hand. I'll still be able to put in my purse when I travel.

¡Buena suerte!

Judi

#77709 - 02/15/04 05:02 PM Re: Digital cameras
omeyas Offline

Loc: UK
I'm on my third digtal camera, but it's very difficult to advise you without knowing what your budget is, what you are looking for in a camera,what knowledge you have of photography etc. It's a bit like asking, what car should I buy. You might be happy with a "point andd shoot", or you may be experienced with film SLR's and looking for a DSLR.
Frank

#77710 - 02/18/04 05:43 PM Re: Digital cameras
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Well, I was thinking about 400 euros more or less. I don't know much about photography so I guess there is no point in buying a very expensive camera.

I am also concerned about bateries. I guess "standard" rechargeable bateries are a lot cheaper than special ones. For instances, Sony stamina bateries are about 100 euros. Perhaps they last for many pictures, but if I needed to replace them, it would be very expensive.

#77711 - 02/18/04 11:03 PM Re: Digital cameras
JDR Offline

Loc: asturias
I'm quite pleased with my Canon S45, a 4 Megapixel camera. It is lightweight and incorporates a small zoom lens. Has both a automatic (point & shoot) feature and manual overides.
Price now in the US is less than $400. Extra battery costs around $30.
For extensive information & opinions on most brands & models of digital cameras, you can visit the forums at www.dpreview.com

#77712 - 02/19/04 04:31 AM Re: Digital cameras
Miguelito Offline

Hello Antonio. You can see a lot of information in this web
www.quesabesde.com
I'm also still thinking about buying one, but I don't know, it changes so quickly and I don't want to buy twice.
One thing to consider is how much you need the zoom, depending on the kind of photos you usually do.
I was thinking also in that Minolta because it has a x10 optical zoom but it's only 3,2mp, so maybe with a digital zoom you could get the same in a camera with a bigger resolution. This cost 369€. Now has been anounced the Z2 model with 4mp but I don't know if you can find it.
Another good one is Canon Powershot A70, 300 €, it has 3,2 mp and X3 zoom optical and it's 300 €, it's smaller than a normal camera. A80 is the new model I think with 4 mp.
I think 3,2 mp could be enough for you.
I've heard that Olympus has also good prices and quality but I don't know anybody with one.
Maybe, you could prefer a even smaller one to take it to dinners, parties, MM gatherings and so on ....
For prices have a look here
www.alternate.es
It's the cheaper place a know of Spain.

#77713 - 02/19/04 04:54 AM Re: Digital cameras
Miguelito Offline

By the way, anyone knows of any web to compare prices from UK & USA?

#77714 - 02/19/04 01:39 PM Re: Digital cameras
miche_dup1 Offline

I'm also looking for a digital camera, something with a pixel range between 4 and 6 megapixels good optical zoom, is also very important to me.
It looks like i'll have to spend minimum £300. Still looking.

#77715 - 02/22/04 04:53 AM Re: Digital cameras
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
I wasn't going to write anything, because my digital camera is probably considered old now.

I wondered though whether you had thought of buying a second hand camera?

Here is the story ... I was given my camera about 3 years ago by my brother who lives in Japan. He had grown weary of the size of it (similar to a compact 35mm but heavier) and decided to buy a newer slimline version. I think he now regrets this decision. His new camera is dinkier, and has twice as many megapixels, but the pictures he takes with it are inferior to mine.

Well, this camera that I now own is an Olympus Camedia D-490 zoom. It only has 2.1 megapixels (but I haven't missed the others). It has high resolution 3 x optical zoom lens and a 2.5x digital telephoto. Both of which I use regularly.

It uses a precise autofocus system and the depth of field is phenomenal.

It's a great camera - fool-proof, but versatile too. Good for creative use, but also quick and handy for snaps.

The memory card I use holds about 350 pictures at low resolution (good enough for most of my purposes), and the downloading and editing is easy peasy.

It does have aditional features of course, such as various kinds of flash settings/self timer/red-eye reduction .. oh and short video clips.

Anyway, I think that what I am trying to say is, don't discount a cheaper, second hand camera if you want to spend a bit less, it may turn out to work better than a new fangled one.

Just a thought.

Jo

UPDATE:
I hadn't realised that this camera is still available new with the same specs ... H E R E is a page where you can view it and also look at some very positive reviews.

#77716 - 03/03/04 02:56 PM Re: Digital cameras
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Gee, I wish I had known this before I was at your place!! I have a new Canon ELPH S400 and I love it. This trip was the first trial for it overseas, but it performed beautifully. My fotos are great and I love the versatility of the digital. On high resolution I get half of what ever the number on the memory card is. The battery life seems to be good and I do carry a second battery. All it requires is a $2.00 adapter so I can plug it into the wall to recharge. It is tiny and easily fits into my front pocket.

I have found that I take more fotos with a digital and worry a bit about running out of space on a longer visit which would include many scenic new places. I am not yet comfortable in reducing the resolution!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments