Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#7735 - 01/20/05 02:53 AM Madrid Hotels: Princesa or Ducal? Where do I go??
Carameli Offline

Loc: Richmond upon Thames
Hi,

I want to take my hubbie for a suprise birthday treat weekend to Madrid.
I have been looking at hotels and trying to find a good location as we will only be there for a short time.
I was given a great deal on the Melia Madrid princesa but is it a bit of a walk from the main atttractions. That was a 5 star which would be great to sleep in but perhaps a betterlocation is more important.
ANother that seemed good was a 3 star the Petit palace ducal , that seems near Gran Via. I assume the closer to Gran Via the better.

I need lots of advice here.....can anyone help with suggestions about lovely places to stay.

Also has anyone been on an day trip to Toledo, he has always wanted to go there so trying to arrange a afternoon trip I saw there if possible
thanks in advance

#7736 - 01/20/05 05:20 AM Re: Madrid Hotels: Princesa or Ducal? Where do I go??
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
The Madrid Melia Princesa IS a bit of a walk to the main sites in "Old Madrid" but can be done if you're fit but.... I don't think I'd want to make that walk more than once, after a big meal, or late at night. It's on a VERY busy street so it's not like it's unsafe at all because I'm sure it's not dangerous, but there is some road construction on the street around the Plaza de España which you'd pass everytime. The Petit Palaca Ducal is the better location of the two, that's for sure.

You'll find LOTS of searchable information on daytrips to Toledo in the "Favorite Places" forum or in the "Transportation" forum for how to get there.

Good luck and Happy Birthday to your hubbie!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#7737 - 01/20/05 08:22 AM Re: Madrid Hotels: Princesa or Ducal? Where do I go??
Carameli Offline

Loc: Richmond upon Thames
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I am researching like mad here. Found the train website which has been good for info on train times, but also thinking it might be just as easy to get a bus if I can find the bus station.

Have you heard anything about the High Tech hotels, there is the Cliper and the Avenida.
The Avenida sound like its a good locaton. I was told that the area around Calle de la Montera is a local hangout for prostitutes, is this true?

Also one last question if anyone can help. On the train website they say Diario and then some dates. WHat does Diario mean. I was trying to find out which trains go to Toledo on a SUnday.

hope someone can help.

thanks

Carmel

#7738 - 01/20/05 09:10 AM Re: Madrid Hotels: Princesa or Ducal? Where do I go??
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
You'll find information on trains in the searchable "Transportation" forum. "Diario" means "Daily". But in short, I haven't heard that the trains are running again to Toledo. They've been closed for about a year now while they install a new, fast-train between the two cities. You'll find bus company and station information at the bottom of the Madrid Transportation page .

I'm not familiar with the other hotels you mention. Sorry! I don't think they've been mentioned here before. Would you please give us your review here in this thread upon returning home? Thanks!

Regarding the prostitutes on Calle de Montera, yes, they exist, but to tell you the truth you hardly noticed. I'd walked up and down that street for years before I'd ever seen one. Now I know what to look for. hehehe.. But it's not like ONLY prostitutes are on this street - there's LOTS of foot-traffic by locals and tourists and there's also, often a police car parked nearby just to have their presence felt. Keep in mind that prostitution is not illegal in Spain.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#7739 - 01/21/05 10:46 AM Re: Madrid Hotels: Princesa or Ducal? Where do I go??
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hello,

I have stayed at the Madrid Princesa, and it is everything a 5 star hotel should be. Fantastic, beginning with the very spacious rooms, gym, to the plush Turkish Robes. The hotel is enormous and it is attached to one of the largest Corte Ingés in Madrid, so you can shop within ten steps from the hotel.

It is however, a taxi drive fron the center. It is close to the PLaza de España, but it is still quite a walk.

I also stayed at the Hotel Suecia , a 4 star hotel. Fantastic location in the center, away from the mad rush and noise, but well within waliking distance to the Prado Museum and the Puerta del Sol.

Best of luck to you and hubby!

#7740 - 01/21/05 08:59 PM Re: Madrid Hotels: Princesa or Ducal? Where do I go??
ninas Offline

Loc: Boston,Massachusetts U.S.A
So how much did you pay at that five star hotel ? rolleyes

#7741 - 01/21/05 09:19 PM Re: Madrid Hotels: Princesa or Ducal? Where do I go??
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Well, I used the www.bancotel.es system and it cost me 2 coupons, I stayed over New Year's 2001-2002. At that time it cost me about $89.00, now two coupons are 50 euros a piece.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments