MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 16 of 17 < 1 2 14 15 16 17 >
Topic Options
#77297 - 10/16/01 01:23 PM Re: Terrorist attacks in the USA
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Tejano,

Gordon Sinclair is the person who spoke those words. They were originally broadcast live, and ended up being published in newspapers around the world.

He spoke those words in 1973, and died in 1984. I'm proud to say that I met Mr. Sinclair, in his 81st year, after he had retired, and he still had that verve to "tell things like they are," even at that age. He was -- in my eyes -- one of the finest people I ever met.

Here is a link to a site that tells about him, and they even have the original sound broadcast of his editorial there. It's well worth listening to. http://www.rcc.ryerson.ca/schools/rta/ccf/personal/hof/sincla_g.html

Wolf (Who picks his heroes carefully, and counts Mr. Sinclair amongst them.)

#77298 - 10/16/01 03:08 PM Re: Terrorist attacks in the USA
Jaime Offline

Tejano, I received the same Gordon Sinclair message via e-mail that you just posted (from my aunt in Texas ironically). It really moved me so I sent it on to Wolf because I thought he would appreciate it too. I was under the impression that the broadcast was aired recently because the content seemed appropriate for the situation that is going on now. Our knowledgeable friend Wolf set me straight though and I really enjoyed learning about this remarkable journalist.

#77299 - 10/16/01 03:39 PM Re: Terrorist attacks in the USA
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Beckham it is disgusting that when you have felt attacked you have respond by assuming, not only your countrymen but also the major opinion of spaniards towards USA.

You don't represent the irish nor the spaniards. Ireland is a very pro-american country (I've been there), it is said, and it's true, that there are more irish in USA than un Eire. You only represent yourself.

In Spain the major feeling is to condemn the terrorists attacks without "but's". The polls tell that 65% of the people are for american actions and that we think the crisis is being handled correctly.

Of course there is a percentage of the people with but's (meaning that the terrorism is not justified, but that there is a reason). I don't have any but's. This crisis is being handled perfectly in my point of view (I tend to think that the author in background is Colin Powell).

As for the basques with but's, there is an ulterior reason. The nationalists have build an state opinion in which the ETA terrorism is view as if there were a concealed reason for the killings (in my point of view: terrorism is terrorism).

And yes brianvc "...especially as ETA suspects are tortured in spain and chechens go through horrific torture...while Europe says nothing." Two ETA members were captured and tortured, and then killed. For me that was terrorism, and the tortures should be jailed (as they are, or have been). Do this unautorized us to condemn ETA terrorism or any other kind of terrorism? No!

Today I have to answer a stupid e-mail of a "friend" who sent me an invented news article in which it could be read "30.000 child die everyday and the media says nothing". That is demagogy, I get really upset when I see this demi-justifyings of terrorist attacks. This way of thinking that the victims are the responsibles makes me sick. Victims have the right to defend themselves, or are we going to deny it?

When ETA kills someone some people (in the Basque Country) thinks: "Algo habrá hecho" (He beg what he received), yes, trying to justify what can't be justify: the killing of an inocent. Then you can drug your mind so it is more comprehensive for you (until someone you know gets killed, of course), but the reality can't be concealed: an inocent killed in the name of nothing.

Excuses if I sounded too vehement.

Fernando

#77300 - 10/16/01 03:58 PM Re: Terrorist attacks in the USA
Wolf Offline

Fernando,

I think your response sounded just about perfect. smile

Wolf

#77301 - 10/17/01 03:45 AM Re: Terrorist attacks in the USA
beckham Offline

Loc: ireland
Fernando
I didnt assume - I know the opinions of "some" spanish people, in fact just 4, one expressed it more strongly than the rest - as I said in my post I was a bit surprised.
the people I referred to when I said were sick of hearing about war on america and george bush - doesnt mean that they hate all americans,I think people in general will get sick of the same news on the television, most Irish people watch the SKY News channel, they ran 24hr coverage of the story when it first happened ( and rightly so), newspapers were full of the stories,it has been the subject of everyone's lunch break for almost a month. I agree with your point of there is a more Irish in America than Ireland itself. Yes my former spanish friend who I had the mis-fortune to meet doesn't represent the majority of Spanish people How long did you spend in Ireland and where were you? just as a matter of interest
Tejano - Yes some of them are not so smart, I have actually stopped speaking to one of the spanish people, no Irish thinks the americans are stupid.

#77302 - 10/17/01 01:06 PM Re: Terrorist attacks in the USA
Jaime Offline

I have a question for my fellow board members. Our Spanish restaurant has done a number of benefits over the years for several causes, the most recent being the for the families of the victims of the 9/11 attacks. I talked to my mother in law about doing a benefit for the America's Fund for the Afghan Children with something like 25% of all proceeds going towards the fund. This is something I feel strongly about but I was wondering if you all think that people would show up for this cause the same way they would for others. I don't want to plan something and have it be a total bust. We would rather just donate privately then. Thanks for the advice smile

#77303 - 10/17/01 02:33 PM Re: Terrorist attacks in the USA
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Tejano, thank you for sharing and Wolf, thanks for the education (once again!!!). Fernando - your comments were right on. Terrorism - read torture and/or murder - cannot be justified for any reason, by any people, or for any cause.

#77304 - 10/17/01 04:03 PM Re: Terrorist attacks in the USA
Wolf Offline

Jaime,

It isn't the amount of money you raise that's important. It's the message you're sending to others. Rest assured there will be Islamic people in the area who will hear about it, and pass the word on to others, that Americans really do care.

That, unto itself, may be worth more than a hefty donation. It tells them they are part of us, and we really do care what happens to the people and children of Afghanistan.

Wolf

#77305 - 10/17/01 08:42 PM Re: Terrorist attacks in the USA
richief Offline

Loc: New York City, USA
WTC attack “My Story” 9-11-2001
I was in the Euro Brokers computer room of 2 WTC on the 84th floor where I am employed as an IT Manager when I noticed the lights flicker. I did not hear anything because of the loud AC units that cool the room. I went out to the Trading Floor and saw all the Brokers clamoring by the North side windows screaming that a bomb had just exploded across from us in 1 WTC. When I looked out the windows I saw the flames and papers coming from the upper floors across from us. I then went by my office where I was again watching the papers and flames. At this moment CNN was reporting that a plane had flown into the 1 WTC. The Port Authority Emergency PA system was then announcing, “that a plane had accidentally crashed into 1 WTC and 2 WTC was secure”. I went back to the window and was looking down for debris from the wreckage but later learned I was looking at the opposite end of where the plane went in. About this time people started jumping from 1 WTC to escape the flames. I returned to the Trading floor to I saw one of the partners, Brian Clark. I told him I had seen people jumping from the other building. Brian then went to the window when more people where jumping. Both of us turned away in disbelief at what we where witnessing. I told Brian I was leaving and went back to my desk.
The Port Authority Emergency PA system was now announcing “if you wish to leave you can”. I then headed for the elevator pushed the hall button and stepped in when the 2nd plane crashed into my building throwing me first into the left wall then the right wall landing on the floor on all fours in the dark. I then jumped from the elevator before the doors could close and risk being trapped, now I headed for the nearest emergency stairway opening the door to find it unlit and filled with smoke. I started running down the stairs following the white glow in the dark stripe on the steps. When I arrived on the 78th floor I was shocked to discover the stairs ended. I reached along the wall and found a door handle and was relieved to find that it opened and saw daylight coming from the opening. Upon entering I heard someone yell “do not go down that staircase, use this one”. I walked briskly to where I heard the voice coming from and passed a woman who was bleeding and being helped by a man, but otherwise OK. I then started down the next staircase; I was moving quickly and passing people on the staircase. I then turned a corner and saw a woman and man standing on the steps in front of a wall that fell in from the explosion and blocked the way. They said to me that they “could not pass”. I did not even acknowledge them; I just put my hands under the wall and lifted. The wall came up and came to rest on the banister, just enough for us to crawl under. I continued down to the next floor where a smaller portion of a wall had fallen and blocked the stairs. I jumped from the stairs on top of the wall and rolled over onto the landing and continued my descent.
Further down I ran into another co-worker Peter whom I was about to pass. He stopped me and said, “We should stay together”. I remember responding, “OK but he would have to keep up with me”. About this time I switched my 2 -way radio to the channel our Facilities people use. I heard one of our security person Jerry Banks who was outside the building calling Dave who is in communications department. Dave was still in the building telling Jerry that there was a lot of smoke and to send help.
At the time I was surprised we did not see many people in the stairway. But thinking back a lot of people must have left when the 1st plane struck. When we reached the 30th floor my legs where shaking and I was concerned that I would collapse, but I kept on going. When we reached the bottom we were directed out of the building by Port Authority Police and Security people. We exited on Church Street by Borders Book store. As we walked up Fulton Street along side the church cemetery Peter stopped and started to look up at the building. I grabbed him and said lets move before something falls on us. We continued to Broadway then up to Park Row stopping in front J & R electronics store where a group of Euro Brokers employees where gathering. Peter and I separated. I then sat down on the curb before I would collapse. I stopped in a Deli on Beekman Street to purchase a liter of water. I was surprised when the clerk charged me $1.59, since I was covered from head to toe with soot and ash.
I walked to the Barbershop where I normally get my Haircut. When I entered the door Antonella helped me into one of the chairs and another Barber wiped me down with wet cold towels. I was now asking if I could use the phone to call my wife Christina. Unable to reach her I called my mother in Brooklyn and told her I was OK and to call home for me. While resting I would listen to the radio and could still hear Dave saying his situation was grim and pleading for someone to help. I then decided I would leave Manhattan and walk over the Brooklyn Bridge and go to Christina’s cousin Joe store on the other side. As I was preparing to leave, we heard a most deafening rumble, which sounded much like a jet going overhead. People in the street were screaming that a 3rd jet was going to crash. I walked into the back of the Barbershop till the noise stopped. We now learned that one of the Towers had fallen. I also noticed that I did not hear Dave anymore. I then thanked Antonella and told her she should leave herself.
I headed towards South Street and when I reached the corner a crowd of people where rushing towards me. I ran ahead of them down Nassau Street stopping in front of Pace University resting on a parked car. I then spotted a tremendous cloud of dust and ash coming towards me. I knew I did not have the energy to make it to the Bridge before getting caught in the cloud. I ran instead into the University just in time as the cloud grayed out the sun. Security people directed us to the rear of the building where I took refuge in a stairwell with other Students and a businessman. Two of the students wanted to leave the building and run for the Bridge, I warned them that they should not since we had no idea of what the dust contained and it could be harmful. I then heard Jerry on the Radio calling for anyone. I answered him and told him to get away from the area and go home. The dust was now settling and the sun returned. I removed my shirt and cut the tail off with my pocketknife to make a dust mask, the businessman did the same with his tee shirt. We wished each other good luck and left the building.
I walked towards the Bridge and stopped by Policemen who were handing out surgical masks, and was directed to the shortest way to get on the Bridge walkway. By now I am walking over the Brooklyn Bridge and trying to reach Christina by cell phone which up to now did not work. I was able to call Joe and asked him to contact Christina and let her know I was OK. As I was approaching the middle of the Bridge I again heard another rumble like before and the 2nd Tower started to fall. I looked for a moment but turned away. I did not want to watch, and then started to jog but could not.
After exiting on the Brooklyn side I was walking by the Red Cross building where an ATF agent carrying a shotgun was gesturing people to the other side of the street away from the building because they were getting too close. The walk to the store took about 5 minutes. I then collapsed on a box against the wall. I started to watch CNN and they kept showing the 2nd plane going in and then the buildings falling. I lost 60 co-workers today…….

#77306 - 10/18/01 08:11 AM Re: Terrorist attacks in the USA
Wolf Offline

Richief,

I'm sorry to hear about your loss of friends and co-workers. It isn't an easy thing, even though some people may try to convince you it is. Life never quite returns to what it was.

I hope you find solace in the fact that there are millions of people who care about what happened, and stand beside you during your time of recovery, and return to work, and life as best you can.

Rest assured, here on this board, there are many of us who grieve with you.

Wolf frown

Page 16 of 17 < 1 2 14 15 16 17 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments