MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 7 of 17 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17 >
Topic Options
#77207 - 09/16/01 08:12 PM Re: Terrorist attacks in the USA
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
MM, I know just how you feel. The skies were uncommonly quiet the days following the tragedy, and I felt somehow safer for that. Then suddenly I heard the sound of planes and felt panic. I looked up and saw they were Air Force jets and my emotions made a quick change...now I felt relief.

I didn't know how much this impacted me until I was grocery shopping on Friday and saw a man in military uniform. I had to stop and talk to him and thank him...for being in the Air Force flying the skies over my house, and for being one of those who would be called on to defend me with his life if necessary. He was a young man...not much older than my son. He said something like "You're welcome" and walked away, and I stood there next to the bags of potatoes with tears streaming down my face.

We're in for some tough times, I'm afraid. I pray for the victims and their families, I pray for the brave men who went in while everyone was trying to get out and lost their lives in the inferno they faced, and I pray for the members of our armed forces who will be asked to put their lives on the line for us.

la maestra(who seems to cry at the drop of a hat these days)

#77208 - 09/16/01 09:18 PM Re: Terrorist attacks in the USA
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Maestra-

I seem to be in the same state as you and many of our other 'friends' on this board. I am still unable to fully comprehend what's happened, and at times you almost forget that it could be real, but then an image flashes in your mind, or you hear a song lyric (For me, in particular "Proud to be an American" by Lee Greenwood really gets me...), or you hear another personal account, and I'm just in tears.

I pray to God that nothing as horrendous as this ever happens again, but it appears inevitable that there is more to come. Hopefully our governments will take their time, and act when needed and no more innocent people will be suject to such horrors.

#77209 - 09/17/01 01:05 PM Re: Terrorist attacks in the USA
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Hi all.

I'm enclosed in my house studying for the exams I have had today, and that I'm going to have tomorrow and on Wednesday. This is the only thread I'm able to intervene due to my lack of time.

Today I've seen an article worth of being translated (it has cost me time to translate it).

Before posting the article I would want to let you know the expressions of condolence that have taken place in Spain.

First, the American Embassy is full of flowers in their walls. Our president signed a condolences book in the presence of the embassador in functions (USA doesn't have its embassador here at this time because he has recently being designed for the post).

In the spanish-american military base of Rota there has been a ceremony with both spanish and american troops with the Prince presiding it. Particularly emotive was an american family showing a banner in which we could read "Gracias España" (Thanks Spain).

Our president and our defense minister have make lots of declarations: "We will allow americans to use our bases inconditionally." was the last of them.

And now the article, written by Camilo José Cela, Nobel Prize and Cervantes Prize (I post it also in spanish because my translation may be incorrect):

"Another grain of sand

It has been compared the Pearl Harbor bombing with the outrages against the Twin Towers of New York and the Pentagon. I believe that a certain perspective error is made because, as I understand it, it was graver, and also more spectacular and shocking, what has happened now. In Pearl Harbor it was stated a fight with a concrete army, the Japanese, which could be defeated or which against you could be defeated, but in this second occasion the enemy does not show his face, he lurks in the anonymity and he hides himself in something too fuzzy and point less than literary, magic or mysterious. The Americans are demonstrating calm and serenity and that should be their great weapon for fighting against the enemy who still has not name. They are also teaching to all us an exemplar patriotic courage. It is never late for clapping the patriotism, which is the noblest recipe for containing the poisonous nationalism, that source of such many sufferings and absurdities
It is probable that the Americans will hit hard when they know who to hit and what we all must desire is that they don’t miss the target and that they didn’t confused, as I believe they don’t, the essence of the evil with the decoration of his shadow."

"Otro grano de arena

Se ha comparado el bombardeo de Pearl Harbor con los atentados a las Torres Gemelas de Nueva York y al Pentágono.Creo que se comete un cierto error de perspectiva porque, a mi entender, fue más grave, amén de más espectacular y conmocionante, lo que ahora ha sucedido; en Pearl Harbor se planteó la lucha con un ejército concreto, el japonés, al que se podía vencer o ante el que se podía ser derrotado, pero en esta segunda ocasión el enemigo no da la cara, se agazapa en el anonimato y se esconde en algo demasiado difuso y punto menos que literario, mágico y misterioso. Los norteamericanos están demostrando calma y serenidad y esa debe ser su gran arma para combatir contra el enemigo que todavía no tiene nombre. También nos están enseñando a todos un coraje patriótico ejemplar. Nunca es tarde para aplaudir al patriotismo, que es la más noble receta para contener al venenoso nacionalismo, esa fuente de tantos males y dislates.
Los norteamericanos es probable que peguen duro cuando sepan a quién y lo que todos debemos desear es que acierten el golpe y no confundan, como creo que no confunden, el tuétano del mal con el decorado de su sombra."

Camilo José Cela

#77210 - 09/17/01 01:35 PM Re: Terrorist attacks in the USA
Chicagoan Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
I would have to agree with Taravb's post especially - it really was nice to hear from people outside the US. (UK, Spain, etc) Reading your posts and kind words in the past week honestly made me feel a little better. I saw on the news that London saluted us during the changing of the guard and Paris had a moment of silence and other countries were doing similar things - I was touched by that.

#77211 - 09/17/01 02:58 PM Re: Terrorist attacks in the USA
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Fernando,

Thank you for sharing that with us.

Wolf (Eternally grateful.)

#77212 - 09/17/01 08:32 PM Re: Terrorist attacks in the USA
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Everyone, I wanted to post this amazing column. I am one of the least religious people I know, but it made me sob.

"In Aftermath, Heaven Greets New Arrivals"
By Theresa Nance, the Herald News, New Jersey

Jesus headed for the harbor.
"They should be coming in soon," he said. "Paulie," he shouted. That's the Apostle Paul to you and me, thank you. "Come with me."
So, both of them trekked across the grassy knoll and waited. They heard the squeals and laughter of the children first.
"There's papa!" said little Juliana McCourt. She and the other children recognized Jesus immediately and all made a mad dash toward HIm to see which one would fall into His arms first.
Breathlessly, each tried to climb into His lap simultaneously. He laughed uproariously. After all, children are His special delight.
"I wanna talk. No, me first, me first," they argued. The youngsters from Washington, DC wanted to show him the invitation they'd received to go to Californua and accept a scholastic award.
With apt demonstration, one little guy from the Washington group stepped forward boldly and spread his arms like an airplane while trying to explain what happened.
"Zoom, zoom went the plane," he said, as he dipped his body up and down like the motion of an airplane. "And then...then."
Grabbing him up in His arms, Jesus interrupted. He planted a big, wet kiss on his forehead, saying, "And then I rescued you." "Yep!" the little guy giggled. "Yep!"
Not to be outdone by this bit of colorful show-and-tell, Juliana tugged on Jesus' robe. Guess how old I am?" she asked, in a most serious voice.
Not waiting for an answer, she held up four chubby, dimpled tiny fingers and said, "This old."
Stretching His eyes in mocked amazement, Jesus said, "My, you're really an old lady." Smiling shyly, she took her forefinger and pointed it over her left shoulder to a woman standing nearby, enrapturd by this loving dialogue.
"That's my mommy."
"Is that right? She's might pretty." "I know," she said and then scampered away.
Meanwhile, all the adults mulling around were waiting to hear a word from the Lord, but remained silent in deference to the children.
The Apostle Paul began to speak. "Welcome home. By your faces, I see that our home is more awesome than you imagined. Drink in all of it."
No longer identified as New Yorkers, Washingtonians, mid-Westerners or the like, Jesus reminded them that it's now one big family. And he continued where Paul left off.
"My ways are not your ways; my thoughts are not your thoughts. They meant this dastardly deed for evil but I will turn it into good."
He pointed toward planet Earth. "Look," He said rather wearily. "They're coming together; blacks, whites, Jews and Gentiles alike, Arabs, Hispanics, East Indians. It's a human quilt of caring people. That wasn't the enemy's game plan."
"See," He continued. "They've begun talking to each other and not at each other. And, all of you are the catalyst responsible for this process."
"By the way," He added. "I've got to tap someone down there to tell the Sklar and Afflitto families that I will comfort them; I promise that I will comfort them -- even to the end of the world." Jesus had already assigned others to advise additional breaved families and friends of the same thing.
He urged the newcomers to get to know each other and advised veteran residents to make friends with the new arrivals.
The Rev. Mychal Judge, chaplain of New York's bravest, had begun to chit chat when he felt someone tap him on the shoulder.
"Top of the mornin' to ya. The name's Flanagan."
Rev. Judge gasped. "You mean Father?" "Ah, we're not so formal up here. Flanagan's good enough."
Others were weeping and laughing as friends and family alike came to welcome them home.
"Soup's on," Jesus shouted. "Anybody hungry?" A chorus of, "And how!" could be heard all around.
"All right. Colonel, is it hot and spicy chicken today or something else?"
"Sir," the colonel answered respectfully, yet indignantly. "It's always chicken."
Jesus smiled and led the way to a banquet table with children and adults in tow.
Why do I write such a column? How else can I maintain my sanity?

#77213 - 09/18/01 09:31 AM Re: Terrorist attacks in the USA
Sean Offline

Loc: Louisville, KY USA
I wanted to share my experience with the attack in NYC. I know that there are thousands who have lost loved ones. I live in Louisville, KY, which seems like a world away from the attacks. I was walking into my office that morning when my secretary informed me that a plane had crashed into the WTC. My first thought went to my cousin's husband, who worked in Tower 4. We immediately turned the tv on and watched in horror as the second plane hit,and eventually the building collapsed. I was in shock for a few minutes before I thought to call my cousin in NYC. When she answered the phone, there was great relief, but it only lasted for a few moments. My cousin told me that my other cousin could possibly be on the flight that crashed in Pennsylvania. She is a flight attendent for United Airlines. Our family waited for hours before we learned her story. She was scheduled to be on flight 93, but at the last minute she was sent on a different flight. She landed safely in California. My cousin's husband was evacuated before the remaining buildings collapsed. I am grateful that my family was spared, and my heart hoes out to all of those who have lost someone close. Thank you for letting me share my thoughts.

#77214 - 09/19/01 01:31 PM Re: Terrorist attacks in the USA
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
I wanted to share a bit of a conversation I overheard this morning - one I think is applicable to all of us with the appropriate changes in anthems.

"I've heard and sung the Star Spangled Banner and God Bless America all my life - its only now that I hear the words and understand the meaning"

#77215 - 09/19/01 02:25 PM Re: Terrorist attacks in the USA
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Puna, Everyone,

There's one other thing I believe everyone should listen to. The sound of "Taps." A bugle call.

Here is the link to Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia. http://www.arlingtoncemetery.com/taps.htm

When you play this bugle call... from this site... remember... It is done for all those who lost their lives on September 11th. Do this in their honor, and remembrance.

I offer these as the words I decided over forty years ago as applying. They are my own.

"Go to sleep, go to sleep, go to sleep in the arms of the Lord;
Fare thee well my dear friends, fare thee well."

Wolf

[ 09-19-2001: Message edited by: Wolfgang81 ]

#77216 - 09/19/01 10:44 PM Re: Terrorist attacks in the USA
Kelly B Offline

Loc: central IL
We had a group of 40 people leaving for Spain in a few days. Since the tragedy that has dropped to 10. We have been struggling with whether or not to go on with the trip. After having reviewed here and in another section of the forum, we are more determined than ever to go. These ten Americans will not let the terrorists intimidate us. We will not be cowered into submission. All I have read says the people of Spain have anguished with us over this tragedy and I am going to thank them personally. Thanks to all from Spain who have posted the wonderful notes. We will see you in a week!

Kelly B

Page 7 of 17 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1587 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments