MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 6 of 17 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17 >
Topic Options
#77197 - 09/15/01 08:50 AM Re: Terrorist attacks in the USA
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
It's official: 8 spaniards are dissapeared/dead. Your loss is our loss. It doesn't matter from where the victims come. It is an attack to our way of living and our democracies.

In the Madrid Conference of 1991 the press have said that they tried to launch one plane against the Palacio de Oriente (where the conference took place) and other to the Casa de las Américas (in which the Israel's commitee was hosted). Fortunately an arab country wonder our government and the operation was aborted.

It is not a matter of location as you see. frown

I've seen the firemen and rescue teams in New York. Those people are just heroes for being there. Just that.

#77198 - 09/15/01 10:18 AM Re: Terrorist attacks in the USA
Tia Offline

Want to express your sympathies? Sign here, please.
http://condolences.mine.nu/index.asp

#77199 - 09/15/01 10:54 AM Re: Terrorist attacks in the USA
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Fernando,

Yes, these men are and were heroes. But our heroes have always been firemen and policemen throughout the world. Their mission, even though governments may want to change the words... has and will be... Protect and Serve.

There are other heroes too. In America, we've discovered who they are. Not only amongst us, but the governments, and people of the world, who have stood up, and moved to our side, in this time of crisis. Amongst them, the governments of Spain, and Great Britain, who have indicated they stand shoulder to shoulder with us in the battle that lays ahead.

Nobody, not even the U.S., is strong enough to handle what lays ahead, alone. We are humbled, and much of the tears you see in our eyes are in gratitude for you all being there, to help us get back on our feet again.

The terrorists did win a battle. But all they did in their victory was sign their own death warrants, and unite the people of the world against them, as the real war on terrorism is about to begin.

This will be a long war. It will take years to drive these people underground, into rat holes where they belong. We will all lose more people while this is happening. The death toll will be high. But, if we can make this world safe for the children of our grandchildren, then they can look back, with pride, as to how everyone, regardless of race, religion, or color, united, to make it a safer world for them. Then, they can say we are all heroes, because we stood up, shoulder to shoulder, for the rights of mankind to live without fear of what happened just a few days ago.

#77200 - 09/15/01 12:17 PM Re: Terrorist attacks in the USA
billy ski Offline

Loc: long beach New York USA
Wolf: As eloquent as ever. Great to see you back on the board. Regards, Ski :p

#77201 - 09/15/01 04:57 PM Re: Terrorist attacks in the USA
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I also am so happy to be a part of the MM family...especially at a time like this. We are ONE world and this board makes this a reality. My prayers and thoughts are with you, Wolf and you, Billy and all of you. Thank God my family and friends are all fine--in shock and sadness--but physically fine.

#77202 - 09/15/01 10:16 PM Re: Terrorist attacks in the USA
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I don't think it's a surprise to anyone, but several times a day, listening to the stories of tragedy-torn families, I find myself in tears or near-to-tears. My god. How can such inhumanity towards man exist? I just don't understand it. I don't understand it.

And then, trying to get away from the news coverage for a little while I turn the TV to ESPN's SportsCenter only to find a story about Oscar Robinson, a 1950s University of Cincinnati basketball star and only black man on the team, and how the Ku Klux Klan sent him a threatening letter that they would kill him if he came to the game against the University of North Carolina. My god. How can so much HATE exist in this world?? HOW IS IT POSSIBLE?? How can some people place SO LITTLE value on human life??

I'm questioning my entire human race and its motives on this planet. How can these things happen? Sure, we here in the USA have been "protected" for hundreds of years, thinking ourselves invulnerable because of our distance and isolation from the rest of the more "unstable" continents. But then this! frown My God. My God. This is what we've (humans) have become....

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#77203 - 09/15/01 10:37 PM Re: Terrorist attacks in the USA
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I know exactly how you feel. I keep fighting back the tears. I am ashamed of some of things our government has done (and proud of others). I have lived in countries where thousands of people died because we helped overthrow democratically elected leaders and helped put in place another that tortured and killed its dissidents. So, I understand why people are angry, but NOTHING justifies what happened on Tuesday. What an utter disregard for the lives of so many innocent people.

After working with refugees from so many other countries that had lived through the most despicable acts imaginable, I began to feel like the world was just such an ugly place. I felt so disapointed by all the hate and wondered if this was all we are ever to be - hateful and angry with occasional acts of extraordinary beauty and humanity - instead of the other way around. Just as I started to feel a little more hopeful - looking around this city and seeing how in some ways we can be so different and get along so well - this happens.

Nonetheless, I have been so touched by the way other countries have supported us in this awful, awful time and can only hope that as sometimes happens in times of tragedy, it will bring the world community together instead of tearing us apart.

[ 09-16-2001: Message edited by: Nicole ]

#77204 - 09/15/01 10:43 PM Re: Terrorist attacks in the USA
Eric Offline

Loc: Cambridge, MA USA
It sickens me to learn that two of the hijackers were staying at the Days Inn Hotel in Boston, only 2 miles from my apartment.

I have a friend staying over, and her sister was on the 28th floor of the second-hit tower. Luckily, she got out OK. I just can not believe this really happened.

#77205 - 09/15/01 11:21 PM Re: Terrorist attacks in the USA
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I am happy to hear so many of our virtual friends here are okay. This board has been such a source of comfort. I keep checking in in just to make sure you all are still here and doing okay.

[ 09-16-2001: Message edited by: Nicole ]

#77206 - 09/16/01 03:42 PM Re: Terrorist attacks in the USA
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
My deepest sympathies for those whom have suffered losses. The suffering and destruction I have personally seen this week has left me with thoughts and sights that will take a long time to accept.

As with most people here, I cannot fully comprehend the massacre that has taken place. There is no belief system in the world which espouses these types of actions, and those claiming to act in the name of one are liars. Those responsible are savages - no cause warrants such wonton evil.

I'm trying to return to Spain, which might be on Tuesday if possible. I urge my government and all Americans to not do anything rash lest we descend to the same level of barbaric behavior.

Page 6 of 17 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1924 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments