Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#77024 - 08/28/03 07:39 PM Re: HEEELP - 54 Windows !!!!!
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Thanks to you both again.

Yes, it seems Hotbar was installed by family members rolleyes at one point - and this was before Zone Alarm was frown

I'll still wait until I get the go ahead from Antonio before I follow the removal instructions wink

Jo

#77025 - 08/28/03 09:21 PM Re: HEEELP - 54 Windows !!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jo
Make sure you approve of all your families PC works.
With kids i know its tough,but make sure they know the rules as to what they can DOWNLOAD.
My kids think its ok to get every game online going.
These games etc can cause huge probs..
Get the kids a Pc of there own .

Amazingly,bet your problems disappear.

Ish

#77026 - 08/29/03 03:05 AM Re: HEEELP - 54 Windows !!!!!
miche_dup1 Offline

Jo, try olive oil! It's also a good conditioner.
baah :p

#77027 - 08/29/03 03:43 AM Re: HEEELP - 54 Windows !!!!!
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

spike1

... and who was it used hotbar first anyway? lol I seem to remember it was you that passed it on to me! wink Also, the main site to 'activate' it seems to be imira.com which I think is one of yours too rolleyes So, it's all your fault :p

Antonio

Looking for permission, sir, to remove as per Andrew Clover

miche

I've tried olive oil for just about everything - so do you have a specific one? Maybe this could be your niche market? cool

Ignacio

Is that better? wink

Jo

#77028 - 08/29/03 10:35 AM Re: HEEELP - 54 Windows !!!!!
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

OK

I'm preparing myself for uninstall rolleyes , but ....

What is regedit ? The uninstall instructions are as follows, but I don't know anything about the regedit thing - does anyone else?

Quote:
Removal
Should be removable from 'Add/Remove Programs' on the Control Panel, under the name 'HotBar' or 'Web Tools by Hotbar'.

Version 3 of the software leave some mess behind in the registry, which you can clean up by running regedit if you want. Keys you can delete:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Hotbar
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Hotbar
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Hotbar
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\B195B3B3-8A05-11D3-97A4-0004ACA6948E
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform\Hotbar 3.0
Also, since checking with the Doxdesk, I seem to have 3 parasites now instead of 2 frown

I had nits earlier this summer, but this is worse rolleyes

Thanks everyone.

Jo

#77029 - 08/29/03 05:19 PM Re: HEEELP - 54 Windows !!!!!
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Well, Madridman, Ignacio is right in his comments. If you read the information about Hotbar, you'll see one of its ways of distribution was bundled with iMesh.

Your firewall will let you go to a website and download iMesh. Hotbar will be installed during the installation of iMesh. Then, it will hijack your IE changing the configuration to direct your browser to the hotbar website. And, obviously, again the firewall will let you visit a website.

So, firewalls are a must nowadays, but can't protect you against everything.

---

Jo, regedit is the "registry editor". The "Registry" is where Windows stores most of the configuration information of the applications and about the system itself.

You have to go to "Start -> Run" and type "regedit". A window will be opened showing a Explorer where you can navigate through the Windows registry keys and values as if they were folders and files. All you have to do is find the keys in the article and delete them. But make sure you delete just those and nothing else. Modifying the registry can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

I've e-mails again Patrick Kolla (the author of Spybot) to see if he can add HotBar and Internet Washer to the next update.

#77030 - 08/29/03 07:03 PM Re: HEEELP - 54 Windows !!!!!
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Antonio

I don't have much of a brain so I am not going to touch the registry rolleyes

I have sent you a Spybot report that I have created for you (actually I do feel quite clever after doing that wink )

Things do seem to be running a little smoother now cool

Thanks.

Jo

#77031 - 08/30/03 06:41 AM Re: HEEELP - 54 Windows !!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hehe, Jo. Wow! That's a real good photo! Phew! And dressed only with your hair. Mmmmmm.

wink :p

Well, the expert (Antonio) is in control, now he can guide you, and I'll learn something more in the process. smile I mean about your computer, not about photos. laugh

I think (Antonio? confused )
that you need, or at least should delete those entries from your register or the virus will probably reinstall and it could be worse than the first time. It is no t so difficult to delete the specified lines. If do not rely completely on yourself (computers may be tricky) wink , ask a friend who knows a little bit more, no need to be an expert either.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments