MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#76824 - 08/22/03 03:56 PM Re: Computer security
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
You'd better patch your Internet Explorer with the lastes cumulative patch that Microsoft has released. As always, there are dozens of severe security bugs that are likely to be exploited by viruses, trojans, spyware...

Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer

#76825 - 08/22/03 05:42 PM Re: Computer security
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Hey MM. I also have been getting a ton of these sobig virus emails with the subjects you mentioned, none from you though. Anyways, does this patch that is mentioned above protect you from that?? Also, if you receive these emails, but DONT open them (i got a warning email from my university before i started gettin them), even just the email, can your computer still be infected??? Sorry for the silly questions, Im sooo bad with computers rolleyes
Kelly

#76826 - 08/23/03 11:32 AM Re: Computer security
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Today's Tip from Yahoo Mail:
Quote:
Today's tip: VIRUS ALERT - W32.Sobig.F@mm is a mass-mailing, network-aware worm that sends itself to all the email addresses it finds in certain files on your PC. If you receive a message with an attachment with a .pif or .src extension, we strongly suggest you scan it before downloading. The message may appear to be from someone you know.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#76827 - 09/12/03 04:24 PM Re: Computer security
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
New vulnerability in Windows!!!

A new vulnerability in the RPC DCOM system in Windows has been discovered. It has to do with the same system that made Blaster such a widespread virus.

So, it's high time you downloaded the new patch. New viruses exploiting this security bug could appear soon!!!.

By the way, Microsoft has also released a new patch for IE. However, it doesn't fully patch all bugs it has. If I were you, I wouldn't use it for sensitive information such as online banking.

#76828 - 09/12/03 05:53 PM Re: Computer security
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Microsoft\'s Security Section states the latest CRITICAL security update (September 10, 2003 - Security Bulletin MS03-039 (824146)) is only for those running:

Products Affected by This Update
Windows NT® 4.0
Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows Server™ 2003

Products Not Affected by This Update
Windows Millennium (Windows Me)
Note: Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition (SE), and Windows 95 also are not affected by this issue. However, these products are no longer supported. Users of these products are strongly encouraged to upgrade to later versions.

They also write:
"Why We Are Issuing This Update
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to remotely compromise a computer running Microsoft® Windows® and gain complete control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft."

Still, be sure to regularly check and update your Windows programs HERE !

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#76829 - 10/22/03 10:23 AM Re: Computer security
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Antonio

I like the agreement page on the SpyBot installation ... much more interesting reading than most cool wink

I've just installed it ( SPYBOT ) on my lovely new PC smile

Thanks for recommending it.

Jo

#76830 - 10/22/03 06:00 PM Re: Computer security
SuePycroft Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Jo Anne which version of Spybot did you download...the 2 cows or the other english version. I am new to this type of program and not sure what to do. Help !!!

Sue.

#76831 - 10/23/03 03:17 AM Re: Computer security
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Hi Sue

It was this version SPY BOT DOWNLOAD PAGE and it's sooo easy cool

Good luck smile

Jo

PS - you'll be amazed what you see when you run it through eek

#76832 - 10/23/03 02:17 PM Re: Computer security
SuePycroft Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Jo-Anne, thanks for the link, you were right, the amount of stuff that was found was unbelievable considering the computer is only 4 weeks old.
Thanks also goes to Antonio for giving us the information on this remarkable free download. laugh

Keep up the good work guys.

#76833 - 12/15/03 09:00 AM Re: Computer security
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Antonio in particular

For somereason the Andrew Clover's DOXDESK page wont start a scan ... It always used to do it automatically, but now it doesn't and I can't find where to go to set it off.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

PS - haven't had any parasites for ages now cool - not computer ones anyway wink

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments