Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#75982 - 11/28/02 11:42 PM Is this the stupid question section?
JANTRAVLER Offline

Loc: GEORGIA
Ok, I'm stumped, how do you get those little accent marks to work? confused I have some wonderful pictures and need to be politically correct!

Maybe my motto should be...the more I learn...

#75983 - 11/29/02 03:41 AM Re: Is this the stupid question section?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Jantraveler --

go to My Computer --> control panel --> keyboard --> select language tab --> add Spanish as one of your languages. That will enable your keyboard to reproduce the accents, etc. When typing words with accents first type the accent then the letter it is to appear over.

Good luck!

#75984 - 11/29/02 05:43 AM Re: Is this the stupid question section?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi JANTRAVLER!

You'll find "the list" in the " Spanish on US computer keyboards " in the "Studying In Spain, Education & Language" forum.

But here they are again:

Nicole, there is a way for you to put accents on all the vowels...for the ñ, push "alt" then 1 6 4 , then release the "alt".
Also try:
á = alt 1 6 0
é = alt 1 3 0
í = alt 1 6 1
ó = alt 1 6 2
ú = alt 1 6 3
¿ = alt 1 6 8
remember to keep the 'alt' button key down when you press the number keys, then release.... hope this helps...

ª = alt 1 6 6 (for abbreviated "Maria" as "Mª")
º = alt 1 6 7 (for abbreviated "Número" as "Nº" or for degrees)
¡ = alt 1 7 3 (upside down exclamation)
Ñ = alt 1 6 5

I use windows 98 with my computer, and I managed to change the configurations on my computer very easily. I think this can be done with most computers. I went to the statup menu, and I clicked on settings, then I went to keyboard, and clicked on the language tab at the top. If you put your computer in the US-international setting all the accents work. All you have to do it push the apostrophe mark before the vowel, and it will come up. The only thing that takes some getting used to, is the fact that in order to actually use the apostrophe, you have to press the apostrophe and the spacebar afterward. Although, in a word like don't, you wouldn't have to, because there are two consonants, and the computer knows not to put the accent over a t. I hope that helps and isn't too confusing.

Also, I forgot to mention that you need to be sure your NUM LOCK button/key is in the ON position before trying to use the keypad on PC keyboards.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#75985 - 11/29/02 09:34 PM Re: Is this the stupid question section?
JANTRAVLER Offline

Loc: GEORGIA
Geeze, thanks, (I think), now I know why politically correct isn't much fun. rolleyes Ya'll are the nicest folks on the internet. laugh

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments