Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#75783 - 11/01/02 12:45 PM Re: Thank you France.
big jamon Offline

Loc: boston area
SRedw...gonna take you to task...
you don't have to agree with everything your country does...hell i don't either...but your attitude SUCKS! obviously the attitude of a spoiled brat. no loyalty to your country...damn ingrate...maybe you'd be better off if you HAD been born somewhere else...then MAYBE you'd appreciate what you have. people risk life and limb to get here...maybe you should leave...make room for someone who wants the opportunities that you take for granted...schmuck!

#75784 - 11/01/02 02:01 PM Re: Thank you France.
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
SRedw,

Can you feel the love? laugh

Wolf

#75785 - 11/01/02 03:08 PM Re: Thank you France.
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Geeze Louise....ease up Big Jamón. Seeing that you are a newbie here, you may not have yet realized that we don´t slam each othere here on the board and that name calling won´t get you much respect either.

What I admire about SRedw is that at least he has the [censored] to state his true feelings, and particularly in such a public forum. Knowing him personally, I also know that he is a well informed and educated individual who has come to his conclusions through life experiences and questioning the status quo.

Unfortunately too many Americans don´t do that. Rather they go to the polls uniformed and listen to the last-minute-louie campaingers telling them to vote the ticket and pull the party lever. Believe me, I am as patriotic as the next guy, but don´t think that means blind adoration for the government. frown

#75786 - 11/01/02 03:19 PM Re: Thank you France.
Wolf Offline

Chica,

Then there's the other side of the issue - Don't post something that someone would get upset over. I think it's a two way street.

Also, how many Americans go to the polls unprepared? Do you have a figure for that or are you shooting from the hip? I'm afraid the bigger problem is that too many Americans "don't go to the polls," informed or not. That's based on stats I can confirm.

Wolf rolleyes

#75787 - 11/01/02 04:13 PM Re: Thank you France.
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Wolf -
I enjoy reading your posts as they are usually quite informative (and informed) and also humorous. However I have to answer what you said here...in my oh-so-diplomatic (and from time to time non-diplomatic) fashion.

Quote:
Then there's the other side of the issue - Don't post something that someone would get upset over. I think it's a two way street.
I agree, it is a two way street. However, not posting something that someone would get upset over? That kind of leaves the court wide open don´t you think? I think it´s all subjective. 99.9% (not an exact figure, yes in this case I´m shooting from the hip) of the posts in this board express opinion. And as we all know, not everyone shares the same opinion. Rebuttals to all posts are fine, if they are done so in a respectful manner (slap my wrists if I am overstepping my bounds here MM). There have been many posts where the participants agreed to disagree. This could be one of them. I think most of the responses to SRedw´s posts were fine, but that Big Jamón really crossed the lines with his offensive post. Not only did he directly offend SRedw, but also me and a few other posters on the board (that I know because of email messages that I received stating so).

Quote:
Also, how many Americans go to the polls unprepared? Do you have a figure for that or are you shooting from the hip?
I´d be shooting from the hip if I had actually posted a figure for that Wolf. As far as I am concerned, just one voter going to the polls uninformed is too many. Hope that isn´t shooting from the hip too much. When I was living in the Philadelphia, I was a charter board member of Young America a PAC that dedicates its time and resources to educating young Philadelphians on the electoral process and responsibility. I believe strongly in taking that responsibilty seriously.

Quote:
I'm afraid the bigger problem is that too many Americans "don't go to the polls," informed or not. That's based on stats I can confirm
I am totally with you here Wolf. And unfortunately, I have seen those statistics.

Now, back to the original topic at hand. France anyone?

#75788 - 11/01/02 04:40 PM Re: Thank you France.
esq Offline

Loc: miami,fl
Sorry chica, but my definition of "tener [censored]" is not sRedw's lack of patriotism and loyalty to the USA, [censored] is what he obviously lacks. I am with big jamon(serrano, I hope).I guess being a political exile has made me apreciate and defend this great country that unfortunately many take for granted.

#75789 - 11/01/02 04:49 PM Re: Thank you France.
Wolf Offline

Chica,

Thanks for the input. I found the site not only interesting but non-biased. A great place for young Americans to find answers to their questions, especially in the Philadelphia area. I can definitely see why you were involved in the group. It's work is important. I do agree that there are too many "uninformed Americans" as well. The thing is, I don't believe those that aren't informed end up at the polls in great numbers.

I've been active through AARP, in getting people interested in voting. It's difficult. People just seem to want to be along for the ride, then complain about everything after they didn't vote.

Both young people and elders can sway the vote in favor of legislators and legislation through their ballots, and I just can't understand why they don't.

As for the post in question, it was a straight forward statement, and like it or not, people will react. In my case, I thought it was funny, and posted my first response. But then, I already had previous interchanges with SRedw and knew what his philosophy was. It wasn't an issue worth arguing over.

For others, it isn't that simple. Their beliefs may be stronger, and they might not want, or be able to curb their feelings. Since we've seen statements that make the ones made in this thread look like they were said by Mother Theresa, when we compare it to the issues over Basque Country, and Gypsies, I think we all have to look at what presses our own buttons, not just see what works on someone else, and call them out for it. Like I said, it's a two way street. If we don't want to take the heat, it's best we stay out of the fire.

Wolf (I may not agree with what you say, but will defend unto the death your right to say it. Even if it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up - eek )

#75790 - 11/01/02 05:02 PM Re: Thank you France.
SRedw Offline

#75791 - 11/01/02 07:24 PM Re: Thank you France.
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
One of the things that has made this board so enjoyable for such a long time has been the avoidance of personal attacks. I hope the ugly posts that have attacked a long time contributor are the last we see here. We have had many heated threads on the message board, but they have focused on differences of positions, not on sophomoric ad hominem attacks. If a new poster wishes to use the MadridMan board to throw anonymous grenades at a long time member, then he should look elsewhere.

#75792 - 11/01/02 11:31 PM Re: Thank you France.
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Diplomacy goes a long way, big jamon. Use it. Flaming isn't tolerated 'round these parts.

Oh-So-VERY Sincerely, MadridMan mad

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2369 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments