I just got back from a 2 week trip to Spain. I was hanging around this forum for 2 months before my October trip. I read everything, from lodgings to packing. The posts were so helpful and so I thought I would share my experiences.
Madrid-Based upon the posts at this forum, we stayed at the Hotel Plaza Mayor. As an attorney, I'm used to staying at big, fancy and impersonal hotels but for this trip, I wanted to try something different. So glad I did. Hotel Plaza Mayor was great. Small little hotel right near the Plaza Mayor but very quiet. It was great for the price, about $75 per night. Very nice and sweet hotel staff. It was a very small room but since we were touring all day and night, it didn't matter. Would stay there again and wouldn't even mind paying more for it. (Don't tell them that).
Sevilla-Hotel Alcantara-Small hotel in the Santa Cruz area. Nice but not as welcoming as the staff from the Hotel Plaza Mayor. But the bigger room made up for it.
Granada-NH Hotel- Fancier than the first two but not as friendly. (Seems the more we paid, the less friendly). Also great location.
Barcelona-Axel Hotel-Eixample area. Most expensive, nice friendly staff. Room was nice but since we didn't stay there much, next time would stay at a more modest place.
Favorite Hotel-Hotel Plaza Mayor. The staff was just great, the location was great, quiet, (I'm a light sleeper and that was a top consideration) and as an extra, the cheapest.
As for packing, I brought alot of black pants and black tops and a scarf. Although I saw people wearing black pants, most people were wearing light, colorful shirts. And don't bring anything bigger than a 20" suitcase. I packed 2 weeks of clothes in mine and so glad I didn't bring more.
I hope this helps someone.