Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#74756 - 11/21/06 09:49 AM Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
UPDATE: Party with MadridMan December 16th 2006, 9pm at El Brillante Bar. It's directly BELOW the Hotel Mediodia ON the Plaza Emperador Carlos V (a.k.a. Plaza de Atocha), across the street from the Atocha train station and nearly next door to the Reina Sofía Museum. Click for Google Map HERE .

=====
:jump: Shall we start planning a nighttime, Saturday night get together in Madrid? We're WAY past-due, the last one being, when, one year ago?? rolleyes Come on. TIME TO PARTY IN MADRID! clap

We have less than one-month to plan so let's keep interest going and this thread active. santa

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#74757 - 11/22/06 09:57 AM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Should we simply try for standing tapas and drinks or dare we attemp a sit-down dinner somewhere? Probably the former and easier to mingle.

All/any/some suggestions requested/needed/begged!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#74758 - 11/23/06 06:13 AM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
neilstrauss23 Offline

Loc: madrid
Im waiting for somebody to OPEN THEIR MADRID MANSION, its nice to have sit and relax thing!!!IT will be saturday and no need to rush up for tomorrow!!! Bottles of wine, tapas, home made specialties.. and lets bring some food to share!! wasnt that good idea..bring friends and know friends...

or any suggestions??

#74759 - 11/24/06 11:14 AM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

BOINK! I'd considered having it at one of the Museo del Jamón restaurants where, possibly, we may be able to take a few of the tables in the back. Standing around the bar would be too crowded too quickly.

Saludos, MadridMan

#74760 - 11/26/06 02:16 PM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Boink! wink tree wave

#74761 - 11/27/06 03:56 PM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

¡Boink otra vez! :hdspin:

#74762 - 11/27/06 06:13 PM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
MadridMan,

I hope you get some responses soon. This kind of reminds me of what they say about bullfighting. When there are bulls, no matador, and where there are matadors, no bulls. Where there is MadridMan, no partiers, and where there are partiers....

It's been now over four years since I've been to Madrid. Yesterday night, of all things, I dreamt of my old Opel Rekord I owned and drove around Spain while I lived there. Even drove up to Santander where the exhaust fumes entering my trunk darn neared killed me. I never really liked that car.

I hope it's just too early for responses. I surely would like to be there now. I've got to put together another Christmas card for my wife's Senora. I doubt I remember enough Spanish to put a couple of sentences together right now.

Best of luck.

P.S. Nice logo. Is this how the MadridMan exercises?

#74763 - 11/27/06 07:58 PM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
Vegas baby Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, NV USA
Thanks for the Invite, but we will be in Los Angeles CA then.

#74764 - 11/28/06 05:15 AM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
MM, that's between two work related Christmas parties for me. I'll have to think about it. Have you noticed fewer hits on the website lately? The lack of response to this thread makes me wonder where everyone is these days!

#74765 - 11/28/06 07:13 AM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hi ChrisR! Yeah, I'm not surprised to hear that. Lots of Christmas parties are going on in the 2 or 3 weekends before Christmas. If you can make it it'll be nice to see you again.

I've also noticed fewer visitors on the message board, possibly due to the Thanksgiving Holiday - or maybe message boards are going out of fashion. Also, I'm ONLY promoting the party on the message board whereas in the past I've also "advertised" on the front page of MadridMan.com - maybe I'll do that soon.

Saludos, MadridMan

#74766 - 11/28/06 10:57 AM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

I would love to attend the party, but alas, I won't be in Madrid then! I haven't been to Madrid in three years so I am way overdue for a visit. Maybe next year... santa

#74767 - 11/28/06 06:28 PM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Wish I could join you all! I think a Party with MadridMan will definitely be huge in the summer when most people travel.
I also notice more activity on the messageboard preceding summer when everyone is planning their trip and then during the summer when most of us actually go!
I, for one, faithfully log in to the board daily, though I may not reply all the time.

#74768 - 11/28/06 07:06 PM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I also with I could attend a party in Madrid on the 16th! Unfortunately I will be here in NYC during the holidays.

laduque, I am like you, I log in faithfully every day to the MadridMan message board. It is always an important part of my day. It is my link to Spain and all things Spanish. smile

#74769 - 11/28/06 07:44 PM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Make sure you guys take photos and share them with those that cannot be there! thumbsup

Bill

#74770 - 11/29/06 03:43 AM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

You can be sure of that, Bill from NYC. Too bad you can't make it to this one. Maybe in the springtime?

Saludos, MadridMan

#74771 - 11/29/06 02:45 PM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Laduque & Esperanza -

Your comments made me smile - count one more that logs on daily (or almost) but doesn't always have time to respond.
Our link - or fix - to Spain ...

Have a wonderful get-together MM -

#74772 - 12/01/06 06:14 AM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

How about El Brillante once again? There we'll have space to stand, talk, drink and eat cheaply. After that we can walk to other places in Huertas. This seems like the best option to me.

This would make, I think, 5 Parties With MadridMan in Madrid at the famed El Brillante next to Atocha. It's not fancy, nor are their chairs, but it is certainly "Traditional".

Just out of curiosity, do other people have family gatherings or company parties this weekend?

Saludos, MadridMan

#74773 - 12/01/06 04:09 PM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
JAcosta Offline

Loc: Los Angeles Calif.
Wish I could be there. Have a great time.

#74774 - 12/02/06 07:29 AM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I was at El Brillante just last night (a Friday night) to meet some friends and, while busy, there was space for our group in the upper level and the prices were as good as always. We had bocadillos de calamares (batter-fried squid sandwiches - a staple for this long-time establishment) and pulpo a la gallega (olive-oil boiled octopus slices with paprika). Both GREAT.

I think we'll have the gathering there on December 16th.

Saludos, MadridMan

#74775 - 12/03/06 04:18 PM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I have a week of pre-Christmas events that week, but I'd love to make it, so I'll see what what can do. So, that's a tentative yes for me.

Did you mention a time MM?

#74776 - 12/03/06 04:55 PM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hi Murdy! It'd be good to see you there. 9pm should be good for most people. Here, I'll edit the first posting to reflect the place & time.

Saludos, MadridMan

#74777 - 12/04/06 09:03 PM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

At least 2 more people have told me they're attending although they haven't yet posted this detail in this thread. I hope/expect my significant other (and maybe her sister and her friends) to attend too.

Saludos, MadridMan

#74778 - 12/06/06 03:32 AM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Boink! laugh Tick Tock! 10 days left until the party!

Saludos, MadridMan

#74779 - 12/06/06 10:52 AM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
SRedw Offline

Great, MadridMan, you have this when I am not in Madrid . . . Just kidding.

We have to get together again and it was great fun sitting down and just chatting with you. Have fun at this event and HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all on this board.

Shawn

#74780 - 12/07/06 04:16 AM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

SRedw, at least we got together that once at the early (maybe the first) "Lunch With MadridMan in Madrid". Maybe you could come back to Madrid for the holidays and attend the "party"!

Saludos, MadridMan

#74781 - 12/07/06 10:46 AM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
SRedw Offline

Thanks for the offer, but I am still looking for a job and trying to get funds flowing. I should be back next year, though. Please enjoy the gathering and have a caña for me.

A great day to all,

Shawn

#74782 - 12/08/06 03:09 AM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hope you can make it next year, SRedw. 8-days left 'til the gathering at El Brillante! wave

Saludos, MadridMan

#74783 - 12/09/06 04:28 AM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Countdown: 1-week to go! See some of you there!

Saludos, MadridMan

#74784 - 12/10/06 06:54 AM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Boink! laugh wave

#74785 - 12/11/06 11:08 AM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Boink! santa tree

#74786 - 12/12/06 02:47 AM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
nope, sorry all can´t make this one. Have a glass of wine for me and hope to catch up with you at the next lunch with MadridMan. Seasons greetings to all. thumbsup

#74787 - 12/13/06 05:54 AM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Too bad you can't make this one, Jamongris. Are you already committed to another holiday party? Probably so. In any case, I too am looking forward to seeing you again for the next MadridMan Lunch.

Another comment about this Saturday night's El Brillante Party with MadridMan in Madrid, look for me/us just inside the doors on the ATOCHA side. There's a back-entrance too which is up a level but it's totally open.

See some of you there! Saludos, MadridMan clap

#74788 - 12/14/06 05:26 AM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
It is a party but actually a family birthday one. Have fun. thumbsup

#74789 - 12/15/06 01:52 AM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Tomorrow night's the night! Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Saludos, MadridMan wave

#74790 - 12/16/06 05:24 AM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

This is the night! I'm taking my camera so sometime tomorrow I'll post some photos of the gathering. Remember, El Brillante has world-famous "Bocadillos de Calamares" (and cheap too!) so bring your appetite.

Saludos, MadridMan santa

#74791 - 12/19/06 04:23 AM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
ddavidd Offline

Loc: Madrid
After getting to park my car... right at the door of the venue, in the heart of Atocha on a Saturday pre-Christmas, unbelievable... I enjoyed a lot. It was a shame I had to leave quite early.
See you soon at other meeting, or any Tuesday at O'Neill's.

#74792 - 12/19/06 04:49 AM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Party Follow-Up:

Good time. 9pm to 3:15am! We started at 9pm at El Brillante and stayed there for a good 2.5 hours. Most people were there early but some came later or left earlier. In total, we had 16 persons attending. Some message board members from "the early days" even attended and some came as a total surprise. After El Brillante we all went to a bar in Huertas called "Begin to Beguin" (a.k.a. "The Pirate Bar") which, from what we understand from more mature people whom attended the party, was that this bar is "de toda la vida" - one which has been around forever. We were VERY happy to ALL get a seat on the stools, tables, and/or cushioned benches along the wall. The drinks, "Caipariñas", some cinammon christmas drink, and beer were enjoyed by all. The music was a bit loud but we ALL enjoyed a very "family vibe" among us.

We stayed at the pirate bar until about 3:15am eek - a real shock for me since I usually bow-out by 1am. Everyone left feeling good after having had good, strong drinks, good conversation, good laughs, and having made good friends.

Below are a combination of member "neilstrauss"'s and my photos. I'll add more as people send them to me.

ABOVE, Left-to-Right at El Brillante: Olga, Cecilia, Isabel, Alicia, Rafa (stooping), Antonio, (the one eyeball of) Julio, Steve, Neil, Andy

ABOVE, Left-to-Right at El Brillante: Mario, MadridMan, Cecilia, Isabel

ABOVE, Left-to-Right at El Brillante: Antonio, Rafa (back of the head), Julio, Steve's eyes over Neil's head, Andy, Mario

ABOVE, Left-to-Right at El Brillante: MadridMan, Steve, David, Neil, Andy, Rafa, Antonio

ABOVE, Left-to-Right at El Brillante: Rosa, Olga, Alicia, Mercedes, JoJi, Cecilia

ABOVE, Left-to-Right at Begin to Beguin: Isabel (half-faced), Antonio in back, Cecilia, Alicia, Rafa, JoJi (behind Rafa), Olga, Andy (back of head), Steve, Neil

See ALL the photos (some good, some bad, lots of with "half-closed-eyes" or totally-closed-eyes - YOU know how it is. wink ) at:

http://www.spainiac.com/photos/mm/madrid/2006decmmparty/

Saludos, MadridMan

#74793 - 12/19/06 06:13 AM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Hey! Great to see a few familiar faces there - and looking good too. Glad you enjoyed yourselves.

But ... MadridMan! That's a bit harsh calling Isabel
Quote:
half-faced
- ha ha - I'll bet she wasn't the only one after all those drinks wink :hdspin: wink

By the way, you were missing the queen of closed eyes - Paloma (pim) is the professional at that particular expression.

Seasons greetings to you all.

Jo
ps - Antonio - you owe me 27 emails rolleyes

#74794 - 12/19/06 06:21 AM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Jo-Anne! GREAT to see you again here. I thought my "half-faced" statement might raise some eyebrows. In fact, Isabel was not "faced" at all ("faced" meaning "drunk"). She's REALLY nice and a has such a cheery spirit. I like her a lot.

On the walk home after the gathering I was saying that we missed message board member pim - but now she lives in Brussels (or is it Paris now? I forget).

Antonio is a busy, fulltime working man now so that's probably why owes you so many emails.

So what's YOUR excuse, Jo-Anne? You haven't attended a SINGLE "Party with MadridMan in Madrid!" Maybe the next time you come to Madrid we can AT LEAST arrange a "Lunch With MadridMan in Madrid" - these we have MUCH more often.

Saludos, MadridMan

#74795 - 12/19/06 08:56 PM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Thanks for sharing the photos and info with the rest of the MadridMan family that could not be there! frown

Maybe one day for me, I see what happens next year! wink

Bill

#74796 - 12/22/06 04:07 PM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
too bad i just saw the link!!!! eek
with more advance notice i could make it one day

#74797 - 12/23/06 04:39 AM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Sorry you missed it, pedmar. I don't think we can/should plan the party more than 1-month in advance. Mid-December is a difficult time for travel anyway. Maybe you can make the springtime Party with MadridMan in Madrid - but we won't know the date for awhile.

Saludos, MadridMan

#74798 - 12/24/06 08:30 AM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Alas! Another MadridMan get together I couldn't make it to. Just wait a few years when I can retire. I plan on spending at least three months in Europe then.

Being very hungry for Spanish food, we are going to a restaurant in Royal Oak, MI called Sangria. The Spanish food there is mediocre at best, but I guess it's better than nothing.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!

#74799 - 12/24/06 07:47 PM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Merry Christmas, Gazpacho! Me too! I retire in four and then perhaps we'll meet in Madrid!

#74800 - 12/26/06 05:22 PM Re: Madrid 16December'06: Party w/ MadridMan!
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
more than 1-month in advance.Maybe you can make the springtime .quote.

yes one month will be find for me;hope to be there in the spring. anywhere I do go at least once a year to see the Real Madrid games. I am a former player alavin division.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments