Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#74595 - 06/24/06 10:42 AM Madrid: Meeting locals and expats?
Mike F Offline

Loc: Washington DC
Hi,
I'll be in Madrid for a total of 9 days, 2 on my way somewhere else and 7 on my way back. I'm looking for recommendations of places to go to meet people as I'll be travelling solo during the Madrid portions of my trip. I'm also interested in where to go to connect with expats as I'm considering relocating to Madrid myself (part of the reason for this trip). Any recommendations appreciated.
Thanks....

#74596 - 06/24/06 10:53 AM Re: Madrid: Meeting locals and expats?
eltorero Offline

Hmm, I'm not sure if you mean to meet people strictly socially speaking, like at a club, or meeting locals as in everyday life. If you meet meeting locals as a way of experiencing their everyday life, I can give you two suggestions that I have.

One is to go to the laundromat. Many tourists do not go to these on their trips and there you will find plenty of locals simply doing everyday things. Strike up a conversation and you have made a friend.

The second is to get a haircut. I do this all the time in other countries and have never met a tourist there. It's a great way to meet locals.

#74597 - 06/24/06 11:02 AM Re: Madrid: Meeting locals and expats?
Mike F Offline

Loc: Washington DC
Hi,
Thanks for the reply! Actually I meant both. What are some cool hangouts (restaurants, bars, lounges, clubs, cafes) where there's a friendly vibe/atmosphere and it's easy to interact with people?

#74598 - 06/24/06 10:20 PM Re: Madrid: Meeting locals and expats?
eltorero Offline

Well, the Plaza Mayor is a definite starting point. That's where a lot of the city comes and gathers, especially in the evening and it's extremely easy to meet people by just walking up to them and talking. That's where I met the majority of people I met in Spain.

Specifically, I'm not sure. There are a TON of restaurants, bars, and clubs in Spain so it would be hard to say just where, because pretty much all of them have a great atmosphere. I would recommend doing a bit of bar-hopping and meeting who you can!

Good luck, have fun, and enjoy Spain!

#74599 - 06/25/06 06:31 AM Re: Madrid: Meeting locals and expats?
spanishben Offline

Loc: Madrid
"I'm also interested in where to go to connect with expats as I'm considering relocating to Madrid myself"
The best place to find expats is in the Irish pubs around the center of the city. There is one between the Puerta de Alcala and Cibeles fountain on Calle Alcala (can't remember the name) where I know a lot of expats hang out.

#74600 - 06/26/06 12:20 PM Re: Madrid: Meeting locals and expats?
neilstrauss23 Offline

Loc: madrid
yeah there are great of places to stay at bar hopping, or you could have a talk at J&J bookshop at noviciado or at bilbao manuel malasaña..

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments