MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#74532 - 06/08/06 03:42 PM Madrid: Roast Suckling Pig July 8th
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
A lot of people have asked for more notice on any planned dinners so I'm letting everyone know to mark Saturday July 8th on their calenders. I'm hoping to organize and evening of roast suckling pig (cochinillo asado.

I don't have a place planned yet I'm waiting to here back from Mercedes for here recommandations. But several people have suggested Botín, as well as Casa Lucio or Posada de la Villa. I'm not familiar with any of them so I'm open to suggestions.

rob

#74533 - 06/08/06 05:31 PM Re: Madrid: Roast Suckling Pig July 8th
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Not a bad idea! Unfortunately I'll be cooling-off in the mountains of SANTANDER during that time. cool

In Madrid I can ONLY think of Las Cuevas de Luis Candelas for cochinillo in Madrid. Are there other places well-known for their cochinillo? Is Posada de la Villa and Casa Lucio decent? I've heard of them as being quality establishments but I'm not familiar with thier cochinillo.

But coincidentally, I'm going to Segovia this coming Saturday for COCHINILLO!! (and to visit some nuns) Woo Hoo! We always go to Restaurante DUQUE so this time we'll try (again) Mesón de Cándido .

Man, I wish I could attend this one. Good that you're giving everyone lots of notice to plan for this, Tim Hortons Man.

Saludos, MadridMan - in HOT Madrid

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#74534 - 06/08/06 10:27 PM Re: Madrid: Roast Suckling Pig July 8th
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I have been to both Botin and La Posada de la Villa in the last few months. (We ended up in La Posada because Botin was too crowded. We were sucessful on our second attempt.)

La Posada specializes in roasted lamb quarters for two and Botin specializes in classic cochinillo. Both restaurants have superb food, wine and service and I enjoyed visiting the kithen and wine cellar at Botin, but I give a slight edge to La Posada because of the wonderful dining room. Both will provide a night to remember!

#74535 - 06/09/06 06:21 AM Re: Madrid: Roast Suckling Pig July 8th
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
MadridMan writes:
Quote:
... Unfortunately I'll be cooling-off in the mountains of SANTANDER during that time.
If you happen to get to Potes (Capital of Liebana) be sure to try a Cocido de Liebana. You'll feel like you've eaten a brick. Cheeses in that area are also excellent, and there are so many shops where one can buy them. When we visited there we would always bring some quesos fro relatives in Madrid.
BTW
Shouldn't that be the Mountains of Cantabria or Asturias, or the Picos de Europa?

#74536 - 06/09/06 06:28 PM Re: Madrid: Roast Suckling Pig July 8th
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Botin is a classic and the food is fabulous! Take into account, that any of these restraunts mentioned will be in for a pricey evening, but well worth it!
Count me in for this one, if we are not in Pamplona for the San Fermines, we will be in Madrid for this.

Let's keep this thread going!!!

#74537 - 06/09/06 07:13 PM Re: Madrid: Roast Suckling Pig July 8th
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I hate to be a 'party pooper' but I don't think July is a very good time-of-year for Cochinillo Asado, especially if ambient temperatures are 27 degrees Celsius (81F) or higher.

Don't let me discourage you, though. Just because I wouldn't have the Cochinillo in those warm temperatures shouldn't discourage you from enjoying it. I'll have the Gazpacho.

#74538 - 06/10/06 12:15 PM Re: Madrid: Roast Suckling Pig July 8th
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

I was thinking of that, but we have family coming over to visit so I figured this is a good as time as any. Make it latter in the evening and hopefully it won't be too hot.

#74539 - 06/10/06 04:29 PM Re: Madrid: Roast Suckling Pig July 8th
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Tim Hortons Man, for Botín you'll HAVE to make a reservation so be sure to do that a few days in advance. Even so, keep in mind that even though you'll have a reservation you're quite likely to wait for 15-30 minutes for your "reserved" table to come available.

We had a nice dinner there last October with a 10:30pm reservation, seated at 11pm, and the place was warm (and full of people on the top floor) although it was cool outside. Hope they'll have the A/C working for ths one.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#74540 - 06/14/06 06:29 AM Re: Madrid: Roast Suckling Pig July 8th
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

BOINK! Don't forget the lunch on July 8th!

Saludos, MadridMan

#74541 - 06/16/06 01:35 PM Re: Madrid: Roast Suckling Pig July 8th
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Hi Everyone. I'm going to put it off for a few weeks. There wasn't that much interest and with family coming over for the week it didn't look like it was going to fit with the schedule they had planned. We're going away for the day and I'm not sure we'd get back in time.

Keep your eyes peeled on this space as I will for sure plan another date.

Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1623 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments