Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#7403 - 09/20/04 12:47 PM is it possible to share a single and pay for just one person?
CaptainAdams Offline

My girlfriend and I are travelling to Madrid in october and we have a very limited budget. Is it possible that one of us can pay for a single private room and then sneak the other person in and sleep in the same small bed? or is there any hostels that let you do this?

#7404 - 09/20/04 12:55 PM Re: is it possible to share a single and pay for just one person?
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
Don't do this. If you don't have the funds, stay home. Spain will always be there. You can go back when you have enough cash to pay your way. I feel the same way about tipping, too. If you can't afford to tip, stay home.

#7405 - 09/20/04 01:07 PM Re: is it possible to share a single and pay for just one person?
CaptainAdams Offline

what if we just want to sleep in the same bed and not pay a higher price?

#7406 - 09/20/04 01:28 PM Re: is it possible to share a single and pay for just one person?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I agree. Don't do this. It's not fair. It's dishonest. It's probably illegal too. Besides, it's not likely that you'll be able to sleep two in that single bed - they're even smaller than in the US (for example). They might well allow you both to share a single room but since there will be two people you'll surely be charged for a double so what's the point? Even with a double room you'll MOST likely have a room with two single beds either apart or pushed together.

There are a few VERY cheap "hostales" where a double could be around 20-25 Euros. It's actually cheaper than the two of you staying at a youth-hostel which would likely charge 15-20 Euros per person AND you wouldn't be able to share a bed or the same room!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#7407 - 09/20/04 01:35 PM Re: is it possible to share a single and pay for just one person?
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
I can't even imagine how you would sneak the second person in. Give it up.

#7408 - 09/20/04 04:06 PM Re: is it possible to share a single and pay for just one person?
CaptainAdams Offline

Sofia, Quick question. What is wrong with asking a question? I certainly hope the people in Spain are more hospitable than you are on this board.

That being said, MadridMan, thanks, I'll book a double.

#7409 - 09/20/04 06:27 PM Re: is it possible to share a single and pay for just one person?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
If you just want to share a bed, Cpt. A., you can ask for a "cama matrimonial," and they will give you a full sized bed. The singles are very small, even for young and slender people.

Also, if you are willing to share a bathroom instead of a bed, you will be able to find many affordable hostals in most price ranges.

What is your price range, btw? If you search here you will find something in your price category.

#7410 - 09/20/04 07:42 PM Re: is it possible to share a single and pay for just one person?
CaptainAdams Offline

Booklady,
Thanks a lot. I guess the idea is, I want the cheapest room in the best location and we want privacy. I know that sounds obvious, but I don't necessarily have a price range, I just want the cheapest for those options.

#7411 - 09/21/04 02:11 AM Re: is it possible to share a single and pay for just one person?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
If you look hard enough, there are good deals to be had, in places that are "central." I think the comment about "not knowing how you would sneak someone up" comes from experience.

In Spain with smaller hotels [hence cheaper prices normally] you usually leave the key at the front desk upon leaving....thus you have to ask for it when you go up. If you're coming up separately in order to save some $$$, especially after hours, you'll have "some 'splainin' to do" to the desk manager, who is usually situated in between the door and the elevator/stairs.

Just look hard and you'll find some cheap sleeps. We stayed at the Hotel Madrid and the Hotel Cortezo in Madrid for pretty good rates in 2002 and March of 2004...and I was happy at both places. They're both within shouting distance of Sol.

#7412 - 09/21/04 08:08 AM Re: is it possible to share a single and pay for just one person?
AJ_dup1 Offline

Loc: Maryland, USA
I don´t advise trying to sneak people into a room.

1st-It seems near impossible to do on with the layout of the lobby´s I´ve seen.

2nd- If you can´t afford a room, you probably aren´t going to be able to afford a lot of stuff (food, travel, etc.)

3rd- What happens when you get caught and kicked out with no money?

Its not a bad question to ask, but there is a difference between traveling cheap and being cheap. Good luck.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments