Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#73736 - 01/14/05 07:43 AM Gimme a JOB!
minni80 Offline

Loc: Finland
I'll be studying in Spain next fall, and need a job for this summer in order to improve my Spanish and learn the culture. I have experience in bartending, waitressing and taking care of children, so a hotel or an aupair job would do anywhere in Spain. A place to stay would be perfect too as part of the salary! So if u. or anyone u know needs a perfect female employee (24) let me know!

#73737 - 01/14/05 08:42 AM Re: Gimme a JOB!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Be sure to search through this category for JOBS OFFERED listing. There are few, almost none, I'd say. Most of those kinds of jobs you're seeking are typically filled by immigrants trying to make enough money to survive and feed their families. I know a number of people who hire illegal latinos to work as house cleaners and child & elderly care attendants. I'm seeing a growing number of latinos working at restaurants and the cheaper hotels too. These people are typically making VERY little money but since they're (nearly?) the largest Spanish-speaking immigrant population they're in high demand.

Good luck! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#73738 - 01/15/05 05:16 AM Re: Gimme a JOB!
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
I don´t know whether the Spanish embassy in Finland may be help you at that. It shouldnt be hard for you to find a job as a waiter in Spain during the summer. Target the coast and islands where docens of millions of tourists go every year. If you have good looks you can work serving drinks at nightclubs where I think the pay is better. Ibiza probably offering the best salary. I remember this web-site that about jobs in Spain for foreigners but I didn´t bookmarked it :-(

Andres

#73739 - 01/15/05 12:29 PM Re: Gimme a JOB!
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
Hi Minni80,
If you are looking for work in summer, then the best place is unfortunately the Med coast. I say unfortunately as you will be serving Brits, Germans and Swedes, and will not progress far in your Spanish.
As for Madrid, if you go to outlying towns around Madrid (for example Pozuelo, Somosaguas) you can see flyers attached to lampposts etc. Often these are S.American women offering their services as cleaners, nannies etc. I think if you were to offer your services as an English-speaking nanny, you may get a taker(s). Summer however may not be the best time to do this (especially in August as all reasonably wealthy families will re-locate to the beach or the hills for the month). Make sure to have a Spanish mobile/Simm to advertise like this. Also, try looking in segundamano or even advertising here?
One last suggestion - try the Irish bars (but make sure you have already learnt some Spanish). July may actually be a good time to try if some English teachers who work some nights there head back home.
good luck!! wink

#73740 - 01/28/05 07:01 AM Re: Gimme a JOB!
minni80 Offline

Loc: Finland
Haa! I'm back again, and saw these brilliant replies from you. So thank you ever so much for expanding my knowledge about finding a job in Spain. It sure seems a bit difficult for me (or expensive)without having a fair accomodation, but anyhow I must face it as I start my semester at UEM. This brings me to a new question: will I ever find an apartment in a reasonable fare, or a student roommate or such. I've heard some advice about a village not too far from UEM that can be good. I assume rents in Madrid city are extraordinarily high!!!

#73741 - 02/20/05 01:37 PM Re: Gimme a JOB!
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hi mini80 - apart from the great suggestions already made, you might want to check out In Madrid which is and English language newspaper here in Madrid. From what I understand, the readership of the paper is more Spanish than English speakers.

You could also try checking out Español Ya! which is a free magazine distributed here in Madrid to help people learn Spanish. It is published by the same group that publishes Hot English Magazine. In the classified section there are often listings for jobs of the caliber that you are seeking. wink

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments